8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 189)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  186  187  188  189  190  191  192  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2016 04:05 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With talk about the "Fistful of Yen" extract on the forum a few days ago I watched my cut-down of "Kentucky Fried Movie" (no I didn't have any popcorn!!). It seems, from the leader, to be a Rank Labs print it was as grainy and low definition as I remember but the colour was still completely unfaded. No edge indication of stock, in fact no lettering at all there, but it must have been the good stuff.

|  IP: Logged

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 05:16 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian,

I have a copy of "A Fistful of Yen" and "Kentucky Fried Movie" - very funny digests and still both have excellent colour and sound - Major 8 Movies did well with their releases. Last night I watched my full length marketing print of "Chinatown".

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 07:30 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still another silent night with THE ADORABLE CHEAT (1928),a pleasant romantic time waster with Lila lee and Cornelius Keefe,the story of the magnate's daughter who goes to work incognito at her father's premices,meets the handsome employee and after some minor trouble all ends happily! A not very sharp std 8 print from an unknown distributor.
SWEEDIE LEARNS TO SWIM. a funny 1914 one reeler with Wallace Beery as the ugly,clumsy Swedish maid who decides that the only way to attract men,is by learning to swim.After she causes mayhem at the beach she returns to continue practicing at home,in the bathtub.Lots of beach gags and lots of water at home.With Leo White as her master and Ben Turpin as her beau and leader of a lifeguards squad. A pin sharp super 8 Blackhawk print.
And even more water,tons of water, at another home, in A TOTAL LOSS or,DOCTORING A LEAK (1917),one of the funniest and less crude of Ben Turpin's Vogue two reelers. With Ben and Rube Miller as plumbers,enough said.A fine Blackhawk print.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 07, 2016 10:32 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, i also have the two KFM extracts, colour is great as you say, we purchased ours new many years ago, the fistful of yen has very good sharp image whilst the actual sketch extract was slightly soft, at the time we sent it back to major 8 but they sent a new one with a letter saying that all of these were the same admitting that the fistful of yen was much sharper. Is this the case with yours?

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 12:57 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

I'll have to check and let you know

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 07, 2016 06:12 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two films mounted on 360 mt/1200 ft tonight (it's Holiday this week :-) : La peur du scalp (The Half Breed), a western and Public Enemy with james cagney. I didn't measured scientifically and one copy is not another but I got a brighter picture with my Sankyo than with my Revue projector. The Sankyo has a 100 watts bulb (versus a 150 watts for the other machine) but is equiped with a 1.0 lens (1.3 for the Revue). Sad that Revue didn't make 1.0 lenses for the model I have (I don't know if they made any at all).

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2016 09:19 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was a bit of a trailer fest all scope and stereo.

The King & I
No Business Like Show Business
The Sound of Music
West Side Story
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Man in the Iron Mask
Lost in Space
Cat in the Hat
The Magnificent Seven
The Great Escape
Raise the Titanic
A Shot in the Dark
The Last Samurai
Oliver
Supergirl
The Mummy
Wild Wild West

Followed by Die Another Day opening sequence scope/stereo
Escape to Athena scope/stereo 400ft
Summer Holiday scope/stereo 400ft

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 10, 2016 06:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got through a great deal Mark [Smile]

As its nearly Christmas for me it was
 -

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 11, 2016 04:47 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just watched Don Q Son Of Zorro, my copy is not perfect (a section has a lot of lines and another one is not completely plane so got out of focus several times during a few minutes ; the rest of the film is ok) but has a music score. I mounted the film on a large spool and it was a pleasure (although the defaults mentionned above) to screen it. Yesterday, two regular/standard 8 sound films : Sail Fever and Atlanta (the Grey Seal), then a super 8 film mounted on a 240mt/800 ft spool : The Island, pinkish but ok to watch with a filter. The transitions between the scènes is a little bit too fast in my opinion. Maybe they should have reduced the film to 360 mt/1200 ft instead of 240 mt/800 ft.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 11, 2016 06:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Aristocats. Derann 3x 600ft feature length film plus trailers, shorts and ads all mounted to 2x 1200ft spools.

Hundreds of screenshots being posted as we speak elsewhere. [Wink]

-

-

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2016 01:16 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I screened my optical print of "City Heat" with Burt Reynolds and Clint Eastwood

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2016 02:41 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It still looks great doesn't it David? I got a print last year and thoroughly enjoyed showing it and reviewing it.
I was really surprised how well this one has held up! [Smile] )

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 14, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched the entertaining "Easter Parade". It's mounted on a large spool and the sound is excellent.

--------------------
Dominique

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2016 05:27 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew ,

The colour and definition is excellent - the main issue I've got with my print was that it came on 2 spools an 800ft and a 1200ft. The 800ft is great but unfortunately for the 1st 500ft of the 1200ft there is a line - possibly a clear emulsion scratch that runs on the right hand side of the print from top to bottom - I have got used to it - I will give the print another clean to see if it reduces - but it's such a good film with some great performances - I'd be unwilling to let it go - so I'll put up with this annoyance.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 15, 2016 05:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a real shame to hear David. Let's hope it is ok after cleaning.
[Confused]

That is a great film you have there btw Dom! [Smile]

--------------------

Phillip R Campey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2016 08:14 AM      Profile for Phillip R Campey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I watched my latest purchase Raiders of the lost Ark super 8 scope, this is a rare Derann print, the screen shots do not do the colour justice as this is really sharp and colourful print, the sound is stereo as well.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 15, 2016 08:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning print Phillip! I will be in touch this evening BTW. [Smile]

--------------------

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2016 10:45 AM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,
It looks like a full-length feature of Mary Poppins in your photo. I always wondered if one was released. Is it letterboxed?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 16, 2016 02:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It is Daniel. It was a Derann Disney release along with all of the others in the late 80's to early 90's.
It comes on 5x 600ft reels and I have written a review and dozens of screen shots of each reel in hi res over on another of these type of places if you are interested in reading it and viewing them.

Like all the Derann Disney releases except maybe the odd one, the print quality is simply superb on these.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 17, 2016 04:48 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Quiet Man, a 120 mt/400 ft optical digest.

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 18, 2016 12:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How's is the colour on that, Dominique?

I'm drooling over that "Raiders" print! I have the scope feature as well which is printed on low fade, but the colour still leaves something to be desired.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2016 05:42 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night's viewings were The Maltese Falcon 2x400, The Fast Lady 400ft, The Ghost Train 400ft and 600ft Great Escape(2x400).

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2016 06:57 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few nights ago we watched the Astaire-Rogers movie Swingtime
 -
 -

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 20, 2016 01:05 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, my digest is in black and white. I would be curious to know how many digests have been released in super 8 with optical sound. It seems that this sound system has been more widespread then what I thought.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 20, 2016 08:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday 22nd Feb will see the 8th anniversary of this thread starting so a good opportunity to celebrate projecting some 8mm over the weekend.
Enjoy.

[Cool]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  186  187  188  189  190  191  192  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC