8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 203)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  200  201  202  203  204  205  206  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 18, 2017 10:08 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you finally found one Alan. [Wink]
It's a gorgeous print for sure.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2017 10:39 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me just some trailers yesterday. Romancing the Stone, Jewel of the Nile, A View to a Kill,& The Living Daylights (both teaser & main) with Odeon your First Choice and British Film Year tags as separators. All Derann releases colour as good as when I bought them, but the Fox trailers were always a little blue in some scenes.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2017 01:33 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Glad you finally found one Alan.
It's a gorgeous print for sure.

Andrew it was your post and picture that convinced me I had to have this title, thank you!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 18, 2017 01:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Only pleased you found one easily enough Alan!

I waited donkeys years to find mine and even then it was in German originally. [Wink]

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2017 03:45 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ,
if your talking about Roger Rabbit - i bougt mine from David Locke - beautiful print and stereo

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2017 12:05 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No pictures, unfortunately - last night I was at my Witzend via Walton Film Prints. Both films had scriptwriters Dick Clement, Ian La Frenais First "To Russia with Elton" a 4 reeler which I bought as an ex-library print (if I remember correctly) from PM Films. Om Eastman film the first reel looked a bit brown at times, the second improved ans showed no signs of fading. Of course as much of this had stage lighting the colour balance was hard to judge. The original was 42 minutes long so very little was cut, if any.
The second was "Porridge" the film version as a 2 reel extract on Fuji, a 1980 negative according to the leader (both films was released in 1979. The colour on this was much better than I expected with really good greens, red, and blues.

I'm sure I saw these two together on original release at the Classic Haymarket, so pairing them brought back memories of that.
To top it off a couple of much earlier adverts (Derann advert reel 6) Len Lyle's Craven A animated cigarette advert and a Post office savings one "Rainbow Dance" live action and animation/posterization/false colour etc. Things that are easy with digital manipulation but really cutting edge then. Both originally in "Garsper Colour". :-)

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2017 03:36 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Amorous Milkman tonight, full feature, not a bad print of a funny comedy, testing out my new GS1200!

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Steve Meyer
Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2017 03:25 PM      Profile for Steve Meyer   Email Steve Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching on Super-8. Stereo and Scope. One 2,000ft'er

[ July 26, 2018, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Steve Meyer ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 20, 2017 04:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
looks a beauty Steve! [Smile] [Wink]

Beautifully sharp also for a Super 8mm scope image.
What anamorphic are you using Steve? Sure looks impressive!

--------------------

Ali Hipperson
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2017 04:26 AM      Profile for Ali Hipperson   Email Ali Hipperson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having spent the past month moving from one room in a house (where I have lived for nearly 9 years)to another room in another house - last Saturday, I finally got the room and all my accumulated 'stuff' sorted so as to be able to have a small screening session of the following:

The Fatal Glass of Beer - Fields (a Niles copy - poor quality pic and sound)

Laughing Gravy - L&H (somewhat over-exposed and soft focus)

Tennis Chumps - T&J (SUPERB quality - pic/col and sound!)

Last Train From Gunhill (400'digest) - Douglas (pretty good editing on this digest - good sound and pic/image but completely BLUE/GREEN with some very thick black/blue lines that started to appear halfway through!)

So although not the best quality of films selected - after a difficult last few months - I was just glad to be screening my newly acquired second collection again!

The next step before my next screening-session is to set-up my screen (not as easy as it would seem when you live in a room that's 15'x15') which, with a selection of (hopefully) better quality films, will greatly enhance the experience.

That said - regardless of the quality (or sometimes lack) of one's films - there's no better or more enjoyable experience than actually projecting your own films (even if it's only against a plain wall!) rather than watching them on the old 'goggle-box'! [Smile] [Smile]

I sincerely hope that (excepting personal circumstances) that I will be able to play a more active part in this wonderful forum from now on.

Ali.

--------------------
We're going to need a bigger shelf!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 22, 2017 11:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sooo envious Steve, espcially is that was the print of Phil's list, as I was one day late on it. RRRRR!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2017 05:40 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last nigh Part one (That is the film up to the Intermission title card) of Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. My compilation of various reels bought from Derann with faults (stripe oxide on film, low sound, lab scratch, printer fault on last few feet - most very small defects but bringing the price down to about £20 per 600ft reel).

All on Agfa and very good colour and sharpness, unfortunately the auto-focus on camera wasn't good enough to show the quality but :-
 -
 -
 -

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 26, 2017 06:03 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That print of Brainstorm looks excellent. Is this a Derann title?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 26, 2017 06:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is Michael.

It does indeed look excellent, but then again nothing unusual in this based on many of the later prints.

Many don't realize just how good the super 8mm tiny framed image can look when all conditions are excellent.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 28, 2017 11:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew ...

Just curious, is this the Derann reprint of "Brainstorm" or a Kempski original. I have heard that you can tell if it's a kempski if it states "kempski' on the original leader on the print. If it's a Derann reprint, that "Kempski" leader is missing.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 28, 2017 04:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't know Osi, I don't own Steve's film but I've seen examples of both and both can look as good as Steve's.

Steve will have to tell you which one his is and hopefully tell me which scope lens got his looking this sharp.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 05:00 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just watched the part 1 on my 2 parts (2x 480 mt) version of Ben Hur (part 2 will be for tomorrow). Yesterday, projected Love Happy, a Marx Brothers film that is in original English language but with French Subtitles.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 02:43 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally finished watching "Those Msgnificent Men...." from the intermission onwards (the actual air race).

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 03:06 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember back in the day, Brian, when this was first released that Keith Wilton reviewed it and declared it by far the best super 8 'scope print he'd ever seen, or was ever likely to see - I think he referred to it as pretty much perfect.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 04:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that accolade fell to EL Cid?

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 05:16 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you're right, Andrew, memory isn't what it used tp be!!

Although I dug this up by Keith Wilton, from Super 8 Film Review in FFTC, Winter 1992;

"The print...is simply magnificent. It must rank as one of the best available on 8mm.

As sharp as a tack right across the picture...

A print that one would be pleased with on 16mm, let alone super 8. Buck Movie Picture Lab have done an extraordinary job - our review print, with just a couple of teeny-weeny blemishes (which may have occurred after printing) is just about the most perfect print I have ever seen on 8mm...

An absolute beauty of a print with good stereo sound to match..."

Print A* Sound A*/A

So almost the best, lol! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 05:33 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure they're both superb Rob and we must remember, Keith often superseded his own words as newer prints were released.

I think it's fair to say there are probably many that are jaw droppingly good that made it onto the tiny frame!😊😊

I watched one such example only last night!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 11, 2017 06:47 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just watched the second part of my (2 x 480 mt/ 1600 ft) Ben Hur version. This afternoon, I screened the last episode of the 1917 serial The Mystery Of The Double Cross. I watched one episode a day of this great silent 15 parts.

--------------------
Dominique

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 05:26 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night,I watched, again, Stroheim's GREED ( Standard 8,Bouchard print),in preparation for a public showing with live piano accompaniment later this month at our local club. I don't tire no matter how many times I watch it.It is an absolute classic.

Steve Meyer
Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 07:29 PM      Profile for Steve Meyer   Email Steve Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super-8 Four 600ft. Reels Scope & Stereo.

[ July 26, 2018, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Steve Meyer ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  200  201  202  203  204  205  206  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC