8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 205)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  202  203  204  205  206  207  208  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2017 02:57 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last nights veiwings were That's Entertainment 3 feature,400ft Carry on Matron,600ft Happiest Days of Your Life (which is a super sharp print) 400ft Enter the Dragon and 2x400 Jaws,enjoyable evening, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2017 11:26 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well a Standard 8 only show last night..

Wedded Blitz Leon Erroll 200ft B/W Sound

It's Thrill Time! 400ft B/W Mountain Films

The Flesh Eaters 5 x 400ft B/W Standard 8mm Derann

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 01, 2017 11:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed with "Rabbit Fire" that there were two printings by two different super 8 companies and for the life of me, I don't know who either company .. is! (grrr!)

However, I can say that one was printed on LPP film stock and is rather dupey looking with a good deal of grain. The other one was printed on Kodak SP film stock, but does not have any of those dupey issues or film grain problems. In fact, it's GREAT print of that title. So far, my Kodak SP print has no fade whatsoever, but i keep it in "cold storage" as, no matter how nice the print is, heck, it's Kodak SP, so it WILL eventually fade. [Frown]

Due to the post on here, we chose to watch our feature length scope print of "The Fog", a VERY good print and a good deal better than the 600ft digest. Granted, the 600ft digest is one "dupe" down from the feature, but the image quality and the sharpness is not up there with the feature. Lovely LPP color!

(BTW the edit of that 600ft digest is very good).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 05, 2017 07:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched " That's Entertainment! " this evening (Super 8mm totally unmarked Derann LPP copy), and believe me, for those unfamiliar with this film, it most certainly is!

2hrs of Song & Dance routines throughout the glorious MGM Hollywood years at their very peak.

So so many movies, you are reminded how earlier movies have made the required influence on Hollywood to produce what now turn out to be, the very best Musical Song & Dance movies that history will ever get to see!

Similarly, look out for those that came much much later yet copied the very same tried and tested recipe that MGM put out.

A Simply outstanding evenings entertainment and a film/ movie I encourage wholeheartedly for everyone to see before it should ever get too late! [Wink]

Films like this, this is what this hobby of ours is ALL about!! [Smile] [Smile]

[ May 06, 2017, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Meyer
Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2017 06:15 PM      Profile for Steve Meyer   Email Steve Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super-8 three 600ft'er

[ July 26, 2018, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Steve Meyer ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 06:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

Beautiful Steve, not you the film, though you might also be for all I know! [Big Grin] [Wink]

One for next yrs Cinesea. [Wink]

I haven't yet acquired this full feature,but I was pleased to mint balls that my recent film contained the full untouched version of the title track to this particular movie.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 06:26 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Friday, I watched Rebecca, mounted on two 360mt/1200ft spools. Good copy (and of course good film).

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 06, 2017 09:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

Steve Meyer
Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2017 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Meyer   Email Steve Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew - It's a GREAT movie. A few months back I was lucky enough to see Singing In The Rain on the BIG screen in the theater. There is nothing like seeing a great classic on the BIG screen.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 10:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I love these type of films Steve. You can never get too much of a good classic Hollywood MGM Musical! [Wink]

Yours looks exactly how I hope to find one myself of this title one day.
Stunning print Steve. [Smile]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 08, 2017 06:06 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A documentary about the Aborigenes (colours faded but still watchable), then three black and white films : Hollywood On Parade, Grand Hotel (a british musical) and Reunion In Rhythm.

[ May 10, 2017, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 10, 2017 07:32 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silent Movie, a 120 mt/400ft version of the Mel brooks film. I first Filmguarded this film I had not projected since many years and I noticed a dominant pinkish colour but, good surprise, on the screen there were still many colours left. The film is, of course without spoken dialogues, there are boards with text and, unfortunately, they are in German (but I could follow the story). Then The Soup Song and last Saturday Afternoon.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2017 04:03 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have a print of that Dominique from the same company, Piccalo.
I do believe there is one word spoken on the soundtrack of the film - in French. I'm not sure it is in the extract but when the mime artist Marcel Marceau is asked to appear in the silent film he says "Non".

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 11, 2017 04:26 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is, indeed the Piccolo version I screened last night. Le mime Marceau, sadly, does not appear in the digest.

--------------------
Dominique

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 11, 2017 09:42 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique,

I had two prints of the Silent Movie digest and each print (purchased used from the UK, separately) had the German titles edited out! The two previous owners must have preferred jumps in the soundtrack to the German text.

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 11, 2017 09:45 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having "Silent Movie" without Le mime Marceau is just as bad as the "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" digest without Ethel Merman falling on her butt!

At our house we had kind of an evening of marital compromise. Our nicest TV is in the same room as my theater. My wife wanted to watch one of her NCIS/CSI/EIEIO "They found a dead body" shows. I wanted to watch some films.

Compromise: she turned down the lights and I watched some silents.

I really don't do this often enough: some of my silents are really beautiful films and I miss out on something when I never watch them.

-the challenging part of it is remembering what doesn't need to be turned on to make this happen: it's a lot simpler!

(I really need to hang that second screen downstairs!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2017 06:39 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, the black curtains across the windows of my film room do their job well in these months of light evenings.So tonight, Saturday, it was a set of adverts (Schweppes,Hovis and the PG Tips chimps) trailers (2x Rambo 2 - First Blood,The Fog and Gremlins) with the main feature being the 4x400' Percy's Progress,a very unfunny bawdy romp.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 14, 2017 03:22 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, Percy's progress is a film i have been tempted to buy many times but the reviews are never good. Whats your opinion? any chance of a short review and maybe 1 or 2 screenshots?

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2017 09:41 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent last Night at the Opera with the Marx brothers. The MGM 2x400ft digest is really something special.

-

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 26, 2017 03:26 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, i think the Marx brother comedies are great, sometimes they put a bit too much in the way of musical numbers in there but its worth sitting through for the comedy.
Last night we viewed our copy of Star Wars,

Originally supplied on 4 x 600ft spools this movie was quickly put onto 2 elmo 1200ft spools. We first bought this off the Derann second hand list but when we viewed the film it soon became apparent that this was a poopy white box special, all 4 reels were different quality and lots of watermarks all over the place on reels 2 & 3. We returned with a letter asking for the refund and postage both ways etc, (it was advertised as a great film in A condition). What we got back was the very famous Derek Simmons customer service, not a refund, but a brand new sealed stereo print. We were, to say the least, gobsmacked but extremely happy.
Well, this print wasn't actually perfect, we knew there were mixed reviews, if you got one off the first release run you did well, but as always the negatives get used and worn, while this print is actually very good we noticed that the first three reels are a little darker compared to part 4. We made a decision to keep it as if we returned it again we would have got a refund of the £150 that we paid which now is quite laughable.
Overall it pretty good with a couple of scenes, (reel 1 desert scenes) somewhat softer than you would expect from a release like this and i have read many reviews like this. Overall the film, (my Brothers the big fan, i can take this or leave it), is definatly a very good scope release making full use of the whole screen and of course it does have some great British Actors, especially Peter Chushing & a brief appearance by Donald Sindons Son who is credited at the end titles.
We have spliced on two trailers at the front of this, one for The Phantom menace and one for the Empire strikes back, all in scope. I tried to pursaude Brother to sell this one on now but as always when we view it, he said, Nope.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ May 27, 2017, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 27, 2017 06:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the Derann 4x 600ft version of "That's Entertainment" this evening on two of my trusted companions. I shared the workload this evening to give a run out to the double piste machine.
I will post a few shots of the memorable images on screen soon.
Great film [Wink]

-

-

-

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2017 02:55 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few cartoons for me "Superman - Volcano" (Canterbury Films) on Eastman seems a bit orange but due to the erupting volcano that could be original colour, Lois' dress looked grey but I'm not sure what it was mean to be, good definition. Then "Popeye - Toreador" (Film Office) a rather grainy Agfa print with excellent colour. Finally "Dastardly & Muttley - Movies are Badder than Ever" (Walton Films) the first colour sounder Super 8 film I ever bought. Print on 3M stock strange but good colour (it always was) and reasonable definition.

Sorry, no pictures as I was just entertaining myself, but a reasonable range of distributors and print stock.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2017 11:22 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today while it was pouring outside I watched West of Hot Dog starring Stan Laurel. Actually for the first time. Mine is a Standard 8 400 footer and I thought it hilarious. Stan is just such a naturally funny man, even without his long time partner Ollie. Very enjoyable.

Miles Shephard
Junior

- posted June 07, 2017 02:44 AM      Profile for Miles Shephard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I watched original Hammer's last horror film TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER (from Iver Film Services - mounted on one 800ft reel). Though it played slower than it should have on my ST1200 (as I've mentioned before). It had lost some color, but I was glad to see it regardless. Then watched the 400ft digest of THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN. Very red, but still had all the best bits in it - so many would say it was better than the full length version.

Sometimes I prefer the digests - as they can be more fun when I have a group over. We watch a digest for 16 mins or so, then have a few drinks and a chat, then pop on another digest... and so on. Keeps the evening fun and social. Plus most of my friends have never seen a digest before and are always amazed at how you can have an 8 or 16 minute condensed version of say PLANET OF THE APES, ALIEN or SUPERMAN.

Of course some films have to be seen in their entirety if possible. So I'm looking forward to finally screening my scope copy of OHMSS this summer. But want to buy a replacement projector first.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2017 02:12 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night it was Romancing the Stone 4 x 600ft Derann on what seems to be pre-LPP Eastman low fade stock. of it was bought reel by reel but one was a White Box Special described as "unsteady" though with the chases in this one that doesn't show up. Reel 1 has a few wet gate marks and I suspect one in reel 4. Due to buying it reel by reel only 3 & 4 are in stereo but as I no longer have a working stereo projector I watched in mono on a 2 track mix down on the Norris 412.

Not the very sharpest of Derann's releases it does have excellent colour and contrast. Pictures from reel 4 only.
 -
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  202  203  204  205  206  207  208  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC