8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 206)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  203  204  205  206  207  208  209  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 12, 2017 11:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched my newest super 8 optical sound feature, "Sudden Impact" (Clint Eastwood BANG BANG!). Interesting feature, as it is on Kodak SP and does has some brwoning to the blacks, but it has a title card before the feature begins ...

"edited for airline presentation"

... that has near perfect blacks, but then you go to the fade in of the Warners logo, and it goes from decent near perfect blacks to a brwon fade in, so I'm betting that when this was originally printed, it probably had marginal blacks to the feature in the first place.

FUN FILM!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2017 11:56 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - What is the sound quality like,please? Does it click and crackle at all?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2017 11:59 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow nice one Osi congrats.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 12, 2017 12:00 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good find there osi. One of the reasons why i quickly stopped buying optical films was the fact that they werecensored.i hate that.they even ruined crocadile dundee. So its a no no for me but well done on yhat find.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 12, 2017 12:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound is very good on this print. This will be a very interesting review (as I'm going to write one) as, while it is edited, i think most of what was edited was just that rape scene in the flashback, because it has all the "bi*ch", "sh*t" and other cussing, so this is one that they either didn't pay too much attention too, or when it came to editing, (by the early to mid 80's), they were more interested in scenes with nudity than anything else. Very sharp as well.

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2017 05:11 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pot pourri last night,starting with Melies' THE ASTRONOMER'S DREAM,Perry's not very good copy from Blackhawk, with colors turned red.THE EARLY BIRD AND THE WORM (1936) shortened to 5 minutes "Pictoreels" Harman-Ising cartoon,reddish.THE CHIMP Stan and Ollie,of course,nice complete Blackhawk.DONALD AND PLUTO,fine picture and sound,reddish!Finished with BONNIE LASSIE,a 1944 color Paramount musical two reeler from Blackhawk,RED,RED RED !!!! All in standard 8.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 13, 2017 06:14 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two films today : in standard/regular 8 : Show People, a silent film. I believe this is the complete version. In super 8, a British film : Bulldog Jack, an abridged version (1200 ft/360 mt).

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2017 06:03 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hunchback of Notre Dame(1939), Derann 2x600ft

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 15, 2017 06:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buster Keaton in "Cops" (1x400)

-musta bought this one at CineSea...

It's very good but I don't remember buying it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2017 07:00 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW JASON !
What a beautiful print .

--------------------
Dave

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2017 07:28 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

The quality of the print was great. There were no lines and during some scenes I thought I was watching a 16mm print. There were some white lines from the original print but it was not bad at all.

I have never senn the full feature but i think Derann did a great job with this cutdown.

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2017 07:31 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason at one time I had a copy in 16mm , but it was NEVER in as good as shape as what you are showing us .

You are a lucky man ! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave

Steve Meyer
Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2017 06:24 PM      Profile for Steve Meyer   Email Steve Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching Three 400ft.Reels.

[ July 26, 2018, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Steve Meyer ]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2017 03:31 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday a second attempt to watch Hello Dolly 6 x 600ft, though a couple are nearer 400ft due to the intermission break. My first attempt the day before was abandoned at the start of part 3 when a take up reel got stuck - thankfully the Noris 412 has a manual un-load feature).

My copy is a combination of "White Box Specials" mainly the Derann check print so although it is of good quality overall the grading is not too good. Sorry, no photos as I was just too hot to bother.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2017 01:48 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night some Techno ITC spools.

The 4 reeler of Jason King "Uneasy Lies the Head" and the 3rd part of the full episode of The Baron "La Guerrier en Bronze" (no English title but both English sound. SP and fading to brown, but all colours were there if muted.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2017 04:41 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a couple of weeks off volunteering at Campaign for Real Ale Beer Festivals (harder work than you may think) I decided to view some Tom & Jerry mainly from Walton prints (or maybe Derann prints from Walton negs).

First of all the odd one out a much edited "Mice Follies" labelled as Tom & Jerry Skaters about 100 - 120ft unknown stock as it is printed black along the perforation side. The others, bought second hand, (Dr Jeckle & Mr Mouse, Cat Fishin', The Truce Hurts, Tennis Chumps & Cruise Cat) were to my surprise all on Agfa stock so despite some contrast trouble, which was common on Walton releases, all still had excellent colour. Three were a real bargain - all together on a Schneider spool and plastic case for £6 many years ago from a camera warehouse style shop.

Steve Meyer
Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2017 06:56 PM      Profile for Steve Meyer   Email Steve Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching One 600ft.Reel.

[ July 26, 2018, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Steve Meyer ]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2017 02:58 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had just watched the TV programme about the 100MPH run of the new build steam loco Tornado so I had to watch my print of "The Engine Driver" featuring LMS loco 5614. This was on a 600ft spool I had made up from "White Box Specials" of mirror image prints. This consisted of the long trailer for Psycho (Hitchcock walking round the sets), The Engine Driver, Thru the Mirror (Mickey Mouse) and Snow Business (Tweety & Sylvester trapped in a cabin with only bird seed to eat, with a mouse so mad with hunger that it tries to eat Sylvester every time the cat's back is turned). All are on Agfa or LPP so despite looking odd all have great colour.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2017 04:38 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had TWO sessions in the last 24 hours!!

Last night I checked out my newly acquired 3x 400' version of The Exorcist (more tramlines than San Francisco...... or Blackpool for that matter)and the 2x 400' This Is Your Life Laurel & Hardy. I have seen the dvd of this telecine print several times.... but it just seemed soooooo much better on the big screen seeing the boys reactions to the people behind the voices they didn't recognize.

Then this afternoon another session. This time it was Old Mother Riley Headmistress which I think originally was on 5x 400' spools which I bought on 1x 1600' spool reducing it to 3x (very full) 400' and 1x 600', followed by a 1x 400' Sixty Glorious Years starring Anna Neagle which was made in Pink and Red,I believe!!!!!! A real shame as it is one excellent cut down of Queen Victoria's life, and the sound was fine as was the steadiness of the picture. Such is life.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2017 05:30 PM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched Meteor 3 x 400ft. Great print tho not sharp, bright colours and booming sound. I have tow copies, one on a 1200ft spool and now the correct 3 x 400 reels in their original boxes, very pleased. I also ran both GOLD on 16mm full feature, adapted scope, ie masked and then the 2 x 400 super 8 scope version of GOLD(again I have 2 copies of this film) I have two GS1200s and 2 ST1200s, there must be something in my brain that makes me get two of everything? Maybe Im Noah, saving 2 of everything super 8 etc.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2017 11:33 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched my "Treasure Island", well, it's not mine anymore, it just sold, but here are the screenshots from it! [Smile]

Oh, Melvin, I apologize for not replying to you sooner! "Sudden Impact" has very good sound for an optical, very loud, nearly comparable to a good magnetic soundtrack,. i was surprised as well, but by the early to mid 80's they had really mastered that optical track for the airlines. I was also surprised to find all the cussing in the film as well!

By the way, my apologies on the crappy shots. I'm close to being the worst screenshot taker in the world. Th film has a very good sharpness that you just don't see in these shots.

-

-

-

-

-

[ August 14, 2017, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 21, 2017 01:41 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching primarily 16mm films lately...so tonight I went strickly Super 8. I fired up my Elmo 1200HD which has always had a delay in starting, however the fan started up almost as normal tonight. I think the new belts I put on may be finally loosening up [Smile]

-

First on the show was L&H Way Out West (4x400) and yes that's my cat Buster's tail hanging down at the window. He's not really shunning the film he just prefers looking out the window. I'm not offended because he doesn't look at TV either [Smile]

-

Next was The African Queen (400ft Digest) I love this digest and the color is much better than my 16mm full feature. Buster is still perched on the windowsill. Seems like a lot going on across the street tonight.

-

The last showing was It Happened One Night (400ft Digest). I also have the full length feature on 16mm, but I enjoy watching this well edited shortened version too. You can barely see him...but Buster is now on the carpet beneath the screen ready to call it a night. It's almost 11 p.m. and time to wrap up the show. [Cool] [Wink]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 21, 2017 02:42 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats brilliant Janice [Cool] ...do you think Buster might like watching a Tom and Jerry film? [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 21, 2017 09:56 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha Graham! Wish I had one to test on him. However I do have some Woody Woodpecker cartoons... and we know how much cats like to chase birds [Smile] .

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2017 10:01 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice, hard to tell from the pictures but your screen looks like one of the silver curved screens meant for the early kloss 3 beam projection TV back in the day, very bright. Is that what your using your pictures look great. Thx

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  203  204  205  206  207  208  209  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC