8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 207)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  204  205  206  207  208  209  210  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 21, 2017 10:45 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Alan... mine is from my Sony projection TV I bought new in the early 80's. The 3-beam TV is now gone...but I kept the screen which I now use for my film projectors and a digital projector.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 21, 2017 11:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve!

Those are GREAT screenshots from you're digest of "The Fog" and I can assure you, if you're ever able to get the feature on super 8 scope, it's even sharper, less grainly!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2017 01:55 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened the full feature of SOYLENT GREEN on saturday; a stunning Scope release with very good colours and an outstanding story.
Especially the "I go home" scenes in the crematory are breathtaking: the wonderful acting Edward G. Robinson lying in front of a big screen watching outttakes of "how the earth once was" makes the audience more than ever start to think about us people destroying nature...
The colours are outstanding, the focus quite sharp and this feature has a great effect on the big screen... and a cult soundtrack.
A touching, sad... and unforgettable night...!

Bernard C. G. Pritchard
Junior

- posted August 23, 2017 03:52 AM      Profile for Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Author's Homepage   Email Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I watched 'There Go the Boats', a B/W 1951 documentary short made by British Transport Films, who made many films of rail, road and water, some of which were produced in Super-8 format (and most are now available on DVD).

The films depicts life on canals and waterways at the time, and, whilst many such canals have now thankfully been restored and revived (mostly now for leisure and holidays, rather than industrial use), it depicts buildings, landscapes and a way and pace of life that has long gone - regrettably, I think.

It's a good print, though I don't know who produced it in this format, but it's crisp with pretty good contrast. Significantly, it - like most others in the series - is superbly photographed and edited, where virtually every frame could be used alone as a black and white photographic print; clearly, much thought, planning and creative experience was given to composition. The narration and score are excellent, too.

I thoroughly recommend this film for those of an interest in such things as British industrial and social heritage; perhaps I should write a review in the appropriate section of this forum!

The other short that I watched was Walt Disney's 'Tricks of the Trade'. I have the full-length version of this fascinating documentary film, where Walt himself shows us how many cinematographic cartoon effects are created by the WD Studio's artists. I was pleased to discover that all the colours are still rich and deep - in fact the print is a little dark, but projects perfectly - and trust that the full-length edition has fared as well.

This is a very entertaining short, ideal to add to programmes for all ages, and contains good excerpts from Snow White and Fantasia, demonstrating how the respective effects are created for these films. Recommended!

Jorma Julku
Junior

- posted August 24, 2017 01:04 PM      Profile for Jorma Julku   Email Jorma Julku   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apollo 11 man on the moon,Columbia pictures. Just about before I started writing this I watchet it and found more about them in net. I don't remember where I got this but there are more with collectors.(I pressume).
Oldies but still goldies to me: Disney 50ft color films about 15 reels and some 200ft reels. Couple Tom and Jerrys. Is it childish
to tell these basic stuff I've seen. I say no. They are little piece of my history.
What about colors? Seems disney films have better colors than usually in other films. Color has faded, some less some more. What about your's except Derann releases. Who might have all the disney "original" releases and in which condition?

--------------------
Jorma Julku

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 10:36 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superman the Movie Colombia 3x400ft, bought from Portland for £37.50 (at a time almost everything was £12.50 a 400ft spool). On SP so going red/pink but most colours still there (better than the photos may indicate).
 -
 -
 -
 -

Also the Walton 200ft of Curse of the Crimson Altar on Agfa so good colours but has splices my Noris 412 doesn't like so had to stand by the loop restorer all through and disn't get any pics.

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 10:16 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched Picking Peaches. Starring Harry Langdon
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2017 04:35 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight on British television saw the return of my wife's annual addiction! I am,of course,referring to the start of this year's "The X Factor" ( a singing talent competition for those who don't know).
That means every Saturday night between now and Christmas, I will be consigned to my Man Cave to wallow in a couple of hours of super 8 pleasure! Life just doesn't get better than this!!!!!
Tonight's first offering was a bit of an obscure horror film on 5x 400' spools " The Devil's Men" starring Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasance.

To borrow and alter slightly a phrase that is used often by Osi ....... Long Live The X Factor!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 02, 2017 04:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There were one or two decent acts on this evening Melvin. You might just have to take a leaf out of the wife's book and leave the Super 8mm until she is at work, like me! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Man Cave to isolation, isn't always the answer sadly. Our hobby rarely spills over to the masses but in a way, that's what makes it special and only for us lot of sad individuals. [Wink] [Big Grin]

If we all liked what the "masses" deem fit, we would all be singing "Glory Glory Man Utd" stood on our granite kitchen work tops while our wives are listening to Take That,Harry Styles or Adele MP3's on spotify,...heaven forbid!

"I Quiver With Fear"

Trust me..
there is an alternative way of living!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQVz21i38Wc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcYVs3k3-P0

[ September 02, 2017, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 03, 2017 03:19 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, please tell me you dont watch x crapter [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
i am proud to say i have never sat through that utter crap, but like Melvin it is the time to ramp up the movies. Sadly with the wife still looking after her Mum i am very much alone but thankfully i still have an awful lot of films to get through.

All i managed tonight to test my second Elmo is a recent purchase from chc, The mobile phone spoof.
superb quality and excellent sound, this is a gem that will have your audience guessing until the end, Looking like an expensive blockbuster a crew are about to diffuse a bomb until the sound of a mobile goes off, they look at the camera/audience, and say, "what was that"? " Sounded like a mobile and it came from the audience". A great little reel and only £6, i was surprised i got it but very pleased.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2017 03:51 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Keith doesn't I have reel 4 in an original box. The plastic cover is very "bubbly" but I might be able to get a good, reflection free (ish) photo of it if you are interested.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 03, 2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i have seen that excellent little spoof film on a few occasions but never managed to land one yet unfortunately so well done Tom on being first to that particular one there.

Yeah, I do on occasions sit through the odd episode of X Craptor! [Big Grin] [Wink]
My wife does have it on, but not always, dependent on the acts themselves and what they are performing, I guess it is just one of those guilty pleasures from time to time for us both.

We also watch Strictly Come Dancing if that too deems us both being similarly sad old gits. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

The Dens are great so long as we don't look like Uncle Fester once we re appear through a complete lack of vitamin D. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2017 07:16 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 2nd of my "Saturday Night Man Cave" nights, as my wife wallows in the X-Factor, I treated myself to a w i d e s c r e e n night,which meant rigging up another stand closer to the screen,and moving the projector accordingly.... but it was worth it.
As you will gather, my show would have lasted a little longer than the X. Was really upset about that............NOT!

Trailers.....

Lawrence of Arabia
Close Encounters
The Sound of Music
The Spy Who Loved Me (one of Dereks white boxes...very blue...in colour....not content!)

Featurettes...

The Great Escape*
Terminator 2 - Reel 4 1x600'
Born Free 1x 400'

* Can someone advise me how The Great Escape was released,please?
I bought this on one 800' reel but it now fits nicely on a 600' so I am assuming it must have originally been 2x 400' or was it a bit of a "short changed" 3x 400' ?

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2017 11:48 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Melvin,

it was originally released as a 2x400ft release - both extracts ran consecutively - mine are still in their original boxes - scope of course - im envious you have the Devils Men - im still on the look out for a decent copy.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 21, 2017 04:10 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched Tarzan's Desert Mystère recently bought from Ian. Good copy of this episode that seems not having a French soundtrack. So it has probably never been released in French speaking countries

--------------------
Dominique

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2017 03:52 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No film show last Saturday evening as myself and Mrs.E. were enjoying the delights of the sunshine on the Greek island of Crete. Boy,was it HOT ! It hit 36c at one point. Got back a few days ago....and now got a stinking cold! C'est la vie!

Anyway, back to business tonight.

Trailers.....

A Bug's life
Father of the Bride (Steve Martin version)
Twister

400'

Tora!Tora!Tora! (the attack on Pearl Harbour - actually watched it THREE times because I have two prints of it and couldn't decide which one I will be parting with)

Swashbuckler - Robert Shaw (doing an Errol Flynn)

The Rocky Horror Picture Show. (not seen the cut down for a long time. Didn't realise how superb this edit really is.)

2x 400'

The Adventures of Robin Hood - Errol Flynn doing an Errol Flynn!
(Just purchased this recently and seems to have come from two different print sources... changes quality and needs frame adjustment halfway through the first reel, then back after half way through the second reel. I am assuming I do have the correct edit as I have not seen this before. It does flow very well,though.)

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 23, 2017 03:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Some great titles there Melvin and I love Crete also!
Had many a great time in Isonisos and Malia, particularly in my younger years!

Happy Days eh! [Wink]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 23, 2017 05:36 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
639 Squadron. A 360 mt/1200 ft version in scope. Good colours and good sound.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2017 07:10 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A double bill of PM Films 600ft cut downs. Firstly Assault on Precinct 13 (or a said in the dialogue Precinct 9 Division 13)cropped from Pnavision to 4:3. The colour on this Buck/Fuji print has always been a bit lacking in green and is of high contrast, so I don't think it has faded. When I questioned it after purchase, thinking Rank/Kodak could have been better I was told that they had done a very good job considering the master used.
Followed by Watership Down also Buck Labs but later Fuji stock. This has all colours still very good, a stereo print I cannot take full advantage of at present.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 25, 2017 11:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched "Our Relations' last night. A great Laurel and Hardy comedy/feature film. My only complaint is that, while it is one of the sharpest Blackhawk Laurel and Hardy features, (quite a few of them are fairly fuzzy, focus-wise), it seems to have either been printed just a little too bright, or the print, while sharp, was slightly dupey. Not as many grey tones as I would like, but as i said, a very funny film by our beloved lads!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 26, 2017 03:16 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tarzan, the silent version.This film is almost 100 years old. It is said that the scene in which Tarzan fight against a lion became "real" as the actor had to save his life from the animal became incontrolled. I have no Idea if that's true or not.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 28, 2017 05:14 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Viridiana, a Spanish film with French subtitles. Good copy of this Bunuel film.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 29, 2017 05:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A classical German silent film, The Last Man. A masterpiece.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 30, 2017 01:40 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, i have never seen Viridiana but that film is in a book i have,(given to my by my Gran as a Xmas present when i was 16 or 17), called The Great Movies by William Bayer and Viridiana is in there, i have read about the movie but never seen it, certainly didn't realise it was on super 8. We did have Un Chien Andalou for a number of years but stupidly sold it.
Well done for having Viridiana, that must be a very rare print. [Wink]
By the way, The great movies, (from 1973) is still a great read today and you can still get a copy very cheap, here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Movies-William-Picture-research-Geisinger/dp/0448221764

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2017 01:51 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Westworld 3x400ft version which just fitted on an 800ft spool. Rather pink now (but strangely a red, blue and yellow logo in the plane scene looked only slightly lacking in blue). I've had it on that reel with the first part of the 400ft cut-down edited in as I bought it in a sell off of extract + reels 2 and 3 from Derann when they were clearing stock, but I recently found I had later bought reel one but not changed it over. Job now finally done and well worth it.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  204  205  206  207  208  209  210  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC