8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 37)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2009 10:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool!

Until now I had no idea "Gorky Park" was ever a movie: excellent novel, though.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2009 11:21 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, Forget about looking for LPP on Ebay on Disney prints. Why not give Derann or CHC a call and ask them specifically you are looking for Disney LPP's and are prepared a pay a little more for the right print. Im sure, when they have a spare 10 minutes, they will look for you. Another idea is to get on a plane and come to the BFCC and you can inspect prints by hand. You never know you might be lucky [Smile] .

But as Gian says, have patience and you will find them.

Graham S

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2009 10:31 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday October 8 2009 @ 8:00PM

Super 8 Optical Sound: Starbird & Sweet William

a short break

DVD Projection: Best-Buy Trailer Promo Disc*

* Free with any purchase on DVD's a few years ago. Finally watched it tonight. Over 1 hour of trailers. One of the best ones on it was Kill Bill......

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2009 10:53 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At about 5:50 PM I watched the 200' of Superman The Movie. I was mostly seeing if my experiment to run the sound through my receiver worked. It did!

Doing this worked wonders for the audio as this 200' is otherwise very harsh sounding. Running it through the receiver tamed it a lot.

Wish I could get rid of the slight buzz/hum I'm getting now. It's not noticable when the movie is playing but still.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 08, 2009 11:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Steve, a very well made thriller, with Lee Marvin as the Amewrican abroad, and his last great role before he died.

The optical super 8 feature print is truly pin sharp and a credit to those who ran the film labs!

The only problem is that, from what I have gathered over time, all the prints of this were made on the terrible fade eastman of the early 80's (shortly before it was completely phased out for Kodak SP and the new stock of the time which was called L.P.P.

All prints of this I have run across look about the same, color but pinky.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2009 07:41 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was a sort of pre-halloween evening, all on Super 8. We started with "The Mummy Strikes" one of the excellent Superman cartoons from Paramount from the 1940's. This was a Niles release with good colour. As the professor recounts the history of the Mummy to Clark Kent with the tomb heiroglyphs the background music is one of the themes from "Popeye Meets Ali Baba". This was followed by "Assault". This was a very adult film dealing with a serial rapist and killer of young girls in the woods close to a private school. It was produced by Peter Rogers, more famous as the producer of the "Carry On" movies, so it was a departure from his usual stuff with this title. A great British cast including Frank Finlay and Freddie Jones. The police set a trap to catch the killer with the help of the pretty art teacher, a psychiatrist and an unscrupulous reporter. This was released by Powell Films on 4X400ft reels with some colour fade apart from the lovely green emulsion scratch that came and went periodically on reels 1 and 4 and seemed totally resistant to Eastman fade. We ended the evening with "Equinox". This was a great movie probably originally released on 4X400ft reels as this print had been respooled onto 2 very full 600ft reels and 1X200ft reel. I do not know who released this title as it was on Bonum reels in plastic cases. Any info on the Super 8 distributor would be gratefully received. Some fade but a great movie which I had never seen before. They say that it was one of the influences for "The Evil Dead", certainly with the cabin in the woods, the dead professor and the dreaded Necronomicon, as well Asmodeus running around in his various guises I can see why this may be so. Overall a great evening. I am looking forward to the next show now.

Paul.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2009 12:59 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
was feeling a little depressed so I had a couple of friends over (who aren't exactly fans of silents) and they brought their two teenage sons so I broke out the 16mm and watched a different kind of classic....We had a lot of fun remembering how silly we all looked in the 70's and singing along to the disco songs....The best part was it added to an idea we have at the Echo Park Film Center about screening films where they were shot, so next spring we are going to show this one down by Venice Beach

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2009 01:44 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday we watched the Derann-Version of Star Trek - Generations. Really great colours and a very good sharpness.
 -

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2009 06:14 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pics, Michael. I now feel like to buy this movie. Very nice color indeed!
I always forget to ask you how many reels ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST by Sergio Leone is mounted on. Could you tell me, please? Thanks! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2009 11:30 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday night October 12 2009 @ 8:15pm

Everything super 8 sound

Tex Avery King Size Canary
Carlton Advertising British Adds
Blake Edward's S.O.B trailer
Paramount's Saturday Night Fever trailer - long version

Feature Easter Parade by MGM

[Smile]

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2009 12:53 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,
the colours of Generations are really stunning and a good sharpness. It's fine to see.

Once upon a time is originally mounted on 10x 180m with roundabout 150m on each wheel.
I mounted it on 3x 360m and 1x 240m, where part 3 and part 6 where splitted after roundabout 60m on two wheels:

Reel 1 (360 m):
  • Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3 (ca. 60m)
Reel 2 (360 m):
  • The rest of Part 3 (ca. 120m)
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6 (ca. 60m)
Reel 3 (360m):
  • The rest of Part 6 (ca. 120m)
    Part 7
    Part 8
Part 4 (240m):
  • Part 9 (originally 120m)
    Part 10 (originally 90m)
Regards,
Michael

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2009 03:16 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10*180? Thanks for telling me.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
13th October 2009, Tuesday

Super 8 screening night.
Programme: Disney MARY POPPINS by Derann. Simply stunning!

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

Projector used: Elmo ST 1200 HD m/o; Elmo 1.0

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 01:00 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not last night, but earlier this afternoon I gave a show to a senior citizen group, all female. all aged 65+.
Given a 1 hour time limit for the show (it's always 1 hour with this particular group)the following was screened:

1) Rank welcome with Michael Aspel voice-over
2)This Is Cinema -It's Preview Time
3)Presenting Our Future Programme + ABC dayset
4)Trailer - Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs
5)Trailer - The Lion King
6)Trailer - Singin' In The Rain
7)Trailer - Calamity Jane
8)Two Little Indians-Tom & Jerry
9)Brave Little Tailor - Mickey Mouse
10)Tracks Around The Island (very good doc. about Isle Of Man)
11)The Jolson Story 400ft version
All mounted on one 1600ft spool. Elmo GS, 1.1 lens
7ft wide 4X3 ratio screen, Sony 60w amp

Blackout conditions were far from ideal,in fact it wasn't even murky. The show started at 2.00pm on a very sunny afternoon but the picture was more than acceptable as I was able to position the screen at the back of the stage which helped a great deal.

By the way,there is a '100 Years Of Cinema' plaque on the outside of the hall to commemorate the birth of a local actor who made it in Hollywood - Ray Milland.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 04:35 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Gian,the pics from Mary Poppins! [Wink]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 04:37 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Thanks Jeroen. Great print!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 05:18 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Gian Luca Mario,

I am amazed by the color picts from Mary Poppins. Did you acquire this directly from Derann, or from a collector?

About 12 years ago, I purchased a Derann print, but was disappointed because the flesh tones had some blue-purple colors coming through and it was very distracting.

Derann said that they could not help, so I returned the feature. I wish that there was better quality control.

I love this film, but afraid to take a risk to purchase it again, because I need to have a guarantee and wish to buy it again.

Are you able to decode the type of film stock that your film is printed on, and if it was purchased by a collector, when this film was made?

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 05:28 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, thanks for your post.
I unfortunately know about Derann MARY POPPINS' curse.

First of all: all recent prints have a bluish cast to the color from the very first frame to the last one. So, avoid them.

I knew excellent prints exist (this is one of them: brown magnetic strips and Agfa LPP stock) and I had waited for a good opportunity for a very longtime. Well, this is a used print. It was listed on Derann latest used films sheet. I have risked and I did well: the print is the way you can see. I don't know 'how old' it is.

But trust me: I have a couple of friends who have recently bought the feature (brand new copies) and were totally disappointed the same way you did.
I know I shouldn't say that because it is not good for Derann. But we normally do the contrary, when a movie has stunning color or it is a top quality print.
Sorry having to say this one is not, actually. And considering the price I think it is correct to give true information to other collectors. Don't you agree? I ignore if the negative has some kind of problem.

Let me have your PM: I will supply you a very interesting file.
Mine is gloncri (at) hotmail (dot) it.

All I can say is to be patient: maybe a gentle used copy as the one I have had just a couple of days ago will be soon available somewhere. Good luck, so. Really.

Take care and let me know.

[ October 14, 2009, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 14, 2009 09:01 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mal,
Great to hear that you are out and about and giving film shows again! One question I have for you - was Ray Milland born in Neath? I thought he was born in my home town of Penarth ( 4 miles from Cardiff) but I could definately be wrong about that. Whatever, Ray was a wonderful actor and debonair leading man - one of the Welsh greats!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 09:57 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian Luca Mario,

Wow, this is a splendid find.

Agfa LPP?
I thought that LPP was an Eastman Stock,
other than Agfa GS, or Agfa 2GS which are also
low fade stocks.

michaeld10 ( at sign ) verizon ( dot ) net

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2009 01:21 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,
great pics. My Derann print of Mary Poppins is as good as yours, but it is a used copy from the earlier Derann days, too.

Yesterday a friend of mine made a little screening for me ;-):
Winnetou I (Part 1 of the 2x 400ft. digest)
Winnetou III (Part 1 of the 3x 400ft. digest)
Those magnificent men in their flying machines (Part 1 of the Scope-full feature by Derann). The colours and the sharpness are absolutely stunning for a scope print.

Had a really great evening with spaghetti, pizza and red wine.

Regards,
Michael

[ October 15, 2009, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Michael Beyer ]

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2009 03:05 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I will mail you later attaching those files I wrote about in my previous post. All the best.
GIAN

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2009 04:08 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul, thanks for the comments.
Reginald Alfred Truscott-Jones was born in Neath on January 3rd 1905. When he took up acting he picked the name Milland from an industrial area of Neath called Mill Lands.
Milland Road and Milland Industrial Estate are now part of a modernised area.
best wishes,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2009 06:23 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, will you please be so kind to mail me after you have had the possibility to check those two videos? Thanks a lot!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2009 07:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian ...

I think your mistaking L.P.P. with Agfa. I know that it is an honest mistake however, as I have never heard of a Agfa L.P.P.
This was just a type used by Eastman film company.

Agfa is a superior film stock, that is for sure. All my prints on Agfa film stock have a very realistic color scheme. The Eastman L.P.P. tends to have that bluish cast.

Don't get me wrong, were glad to have ANY new prints these days, but agfa prints are far superior in color reproduction.

It's too bad that Agfa isn't used anymore, or am I wrong?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC