8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 52)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 24, 2009 07:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian ...

I don't know for a fact as to whether there were any L.P.P. "A Walt Disney Christmas", but I can verify for fact, that there were prints of this title in the UK that were printed on AGFA 3S filmstock. It took years to track down a good color copy and I found it in the UK.

So, yep! It's possible to find a mint copy of this title!

Tonights quick viewing, (as we have somewhere to go) ...

BEN HUR

haha! Just kidding!

Mickey and His Pals! 400ft FUJI color
MIckey's Memorable Moments Volumes 1 & 2 both FUJI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2009 07:36 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all info, Osi. I had a print on Kodak SP and actually one on Eastman. Imagine that the second one is quite better than the copy on Kodak SP!
A real 'must', anyway, every year.
Buon Natale, Osi. Ciao.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 25, 2009 09:10 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I can show you my AGFA prints that is going to purplish. And I can show you too Kodak LPP which is not bluish.

Michael, can you check your Ben Hur that was shown several weeks ago (which was very spot on color tone), I believe it is on Kodak LPP.

BTW (OOT) I just got a nice joke from someone that NTSC is abbreviated from "Never True Skin Color" (which is true... [Big Grin] )

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 25, 2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of Purplish Agfa, but it's possible. I have run into earlier generation Fuji stock that turns purplish. Derann used some Fuji in the 70's that had that tendecy. I had a copy of they're earlier printing of "Hoppity Goes to Town" and it was on fuji and purplish. They're later re-issue of it on L.P.P. was much improved, probably due to thier recieving a new negative as well.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2009 05:17 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
25 December 2009, Friday.

Christmas super 8 marathon.
The programme:

Trailers:
- Fun and Fancy Free
- Lady and the Tramp
- Fantasia 2000
- Mulan
- The Incredibles

Shorts and excerpts:
- Goofy Hockey Homicide (Walt Disney Home Movies)
- How To Swim (WDHM)
- The Legend of Coyote Rock (WDHM)
- Hawaiian Holiday (WDHM)
- Pedro the Mail Plane (from 'Saludos Amigos' - WDHM)
- The Flying Burro (from 'The Three Caballeros' - WDHM)
- Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby (from 'Song of the South' - WDHM)
- Jolly Holiday (from 'Mary Poppins' - WDHM)
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice (from 'Fantasia' - WDHM - Very good/almost perfect Italian print on unmarked/unknown stock. The best edition I have had in my collection, not reddish nor fade)

Intermission to open our Christmas presents. Pepa got sick of the show and went sleeping, in the meanwhile.
Keith and Pam, your cookies were with us during the second part of the show. Thanks a lot!

Featurettes:
- Mickey's Christmas Carol (Derann)
- The Small One (yes, once again)
- The Night Before Christmas (Derann)

AND...
- ET - The Extra Terrestrial (letterboxed edition on LPP. Me and Chiara still feeling like two kids, when watching this evergreen masterpiece...).
Digital camera available, tonight, eh eh eh.

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

Equipment (still screening on the wall): Elmo GS 1200 #1; Elmo 1,1

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 25, 2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Never heard of Purplish Agfa
Osi....here we go:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003953#000002

And the above Gian's LPP print is not bluish as well.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 25, 2009 09:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, I remember that post, it was about the Raiders print. Mine is on Agfa 1s and it has no fade, so I'm wondering if it's because of your environment. I remember you said you lived in a moist, hot humid climate? That perhaps, might have an effect on Agfa developing a fade. It did appear by the screenshots, that something had happened to the print beyond normal wear and tear. The first screen capture had perfect blacks and the deep oranges from that early scene, were the same as on my print. The daytime shots from about five minutes later in the reel have very abnormal color.

I personally, have never ran into any fade on Agfa, even thirty year old Agfa. The fact still stands, that many L.P.P. prints have a bluish cast, and this is over a long period of years, with a number of film companies the worldwide.

I should mention that occasionally, L.P.P. can shine as well. It's better having it than not. Much better than the non L.P.P. eastman, but nowhere near the Agfa. By the way, always nice to see your screenshots Gian.

Winbert, note, for comparison, the color quality of "ET", and the color of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". The Roger print, spot on, (even comparing it to the DVD 2 disc release) the ET print has that slightly off color feel to it of L.P.P. ansd if you compare it to the DVD, big comparison.

However, I must say in defense of the ET print, that it could perhaps be due to the original negative sourced for the print.
(it does appear slightly blue. Note the screen shot of the lovely little Drew Barrymore. There is a plant behind here on the shelf. Note that leaves are nearly blue, with almost no green to them at all. The DVD clearly shows natural green leaves on the plant. This is only my personal estimation mind you, but the prints not too bad. Good one to have Gian).

tonights viewing ...

repeat of "Little Match Girl" (Columbia, 1938) L.P.P.

"A Christmas Carol" Feature (1951, Alistar Sim) B/W

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2009 09:53 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still interesting info about stocks.
Thanks as always, Osi. In term of quality ET is not the best print I have in my collection. But I'm more than happy anyway [Wink] !
All the best, my friend.
Ciao.

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2009 10:18 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas Day in the Murin Home Theater:

All on the 80" screen using the Panasonic AX200 projector.

BLU-RAY:

Monsters, Inc.
The Polar Express (3-D version)

DVD:

Scrooge (1970, postponed from last night.)

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 01:03 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a very nice xmas at my wifes' best friends house, with their kids doing karaoke. Since we don't really have much family of our own they are our adopted one for holidays.. It was a lot of fun so I thought I'd come home and watch a xmas classic on 16mm with me, my wife and our pup all on the couch...OK so maybe I don't have any xmas films so I went in a spy,war noir,drama,love,open ending sort of direction instead...It was good which is what really matters....

CLOAK AND DAGGER (1946)

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 02:56 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Christmas Eve show was changed slightly from the "planned" one.

We started with -

"Movietone News Pinewood Open Day"
"The Cinderella Story - The Making of The slipper and the Rose (one of my wifes favorite movies)
"Madagascar Penguins Christmas Caper" - fantastic print and stereo
"The Small One" - a very touching movie
Tom and Jerrys' - "Night before Christmas"

INTERMISSION - a bottle of wine and some "nibbles".

This was to be followed by "Meet Me In St.Louis" but a last minute request from my "special needs daughter" changed this to a completely different genre - from musical to comedic sci-fi horror -

-

"THE GREMLINS" - 2 x 600ft

It has been sometime since I watched this print and had forgotten what a superb editing job was done by Derek Simmonds of Derann (excellent stereo print also).

Last night was a programme on "Screen 2", for a viewing if "Star Trek XI" (one of my Christmas presents) using the DVD projector and 80" screen. I know it's not a "Seasonal Movie" but, when accompanied by a Christmas buffet and a couple of beers, it was very enjoyable.

-

The "viewing panel" will be meeting later today to discuss the programme details for New Years Eve.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 26, 2009 04:45 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith: anytime is a good time to watch Star Trek XI.
Dino: I'm always amazed by the sharpness of your prints.
Gian: Good catch with E.T.

Our Christmas (and Little Margaux's 3rd Bday) show :

"The Madagascar Penguins" (always a winner - and an appropriate day to screen it), followed by the whole set of Ice Age 3 teasers and trailers, a musical short ("Addams Groove" by McHammer), and "The Rescuers Down Under" as feature presentation.

-

[ November 06, 2010, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 07:43 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screen captures simply stunning, Jean-Marc. Amd thanks for your post.
I will probably screen my 8mm copy of THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER tonight.
Ciao.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 26, 2009 10:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, great screen captures Jean!

I only have the first reel of "Rescuers Down Under" (I bought it from a seller who only had that first reel but hey, he only wanted 15.00 dollars for it, I couldn't pass that up!), and I'd love to find those last two reels someday!

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 12:19 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a Christmas screening on both the 24th and today (26th), first for my own family and my fiancee, and then again today for my fiancees family and the kids on her side.

And the best part, it was my first screenings with my newly restored Elmo ST-180M.

Started off with "A Walt Disney Christmas" (400') that David sent me, very good colour and sound. Then moved on to some T&J cartoons for the kids (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde + Cat Napping) before I rounded off the night with my home made version of Charlie Chaplins "Easy Street".

Pictures (from the top left):
- 1. My projector, finally in action
- 2-5. A Walt Disney Christmas
- 6. T&J: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
- 7. T&J: Cat Napping

-

No pictures from "Easy Street", as I forgot to take them.

It was also the first screening with the new sound system I've set up, will post more pictures of the enchanced screening room later.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Christian. Nice shots.
What stock is your A WALT DISNEY CHRISTMAS printed on? Thanks...

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 12:53 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what stock it is, how can I check it?

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look to the sprockets side of the film. The stock is normally marked there (see the link below).

You should need a magnifying lens to do it. Considering the pink cast of your shots the copy could be printed on EASTMAN, even if I can see it is still plenty of blues and greens. [Wink]

How to identify film stocks

--------------------

Richard Gordon
Junior

- posted December 26, 2009 03:19 PM      Profile for Richard Gordon   Email Richard Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christian, what is ".... my home made version of Charlie Chaplin's "Easy Street"....." ? Regards, Richard

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 04:55 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well because of a recent post on the for sale forum I had to watch one of my favorite films....Sad part is I may never get a decent english version....This one was a complete 16mm version but it is WELL WORN, and in French. I sadly do not speak french but I know the story so can still enjoy it to some degree... STARCRASH (aka Le Choc des Etoiles)I have been looking for a good print for years and the same week I won the auction on this one there were 2 others listed. At the time I thought I would not need them so did not bid...Then mine arrived and it was in French (which of course was left out of the description)OH well the hunt continues...

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 04:57 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was eat and eat.........and drink and drink and now it's 00:00 and i didn't see any movie........but we have on dvd an Merry Madagascar for 30 minutes,so before we go to bed we watch this movie! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
26th December 2009, Saturday

'Day After Christmas' super 8 night (still fully in a Christmas mood).
The programme:

Trailers
- An American Tale
- Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- The Little Mermeid/Mickey's Christmas Carol

Shorts:
- Plutos' Christmas Tree (Derann)
- Santa's Workshop (Derann)

Featurette:
- The Snowman (Derann)

Feature:
- The Rescuers Down Under (Derann)

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

Jean-Marc, sorry. Did not mean to 'copy' you. Just felt like to screen it (it took so long since the very last time I did).
Dino, great shots as usual!
Osi, hope you will find reels #2 and 3, one day.
Jeroen, don't forget your homeworks eh eh eh!

Equipment: Elmo ST 1200 HD; Elmo 1,3

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 05:45 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas is gone, no christmas screening. I don´t understand my family, I wanted screen 35mm technicolor Disney Cartoons like "Night before Christmas" or the feature "White Christmas" but nobody wanted see that. After I saw the great screen shots of 35mm pixar prints from Jean-Marc, I bought few weeks ago my first recent 35mm print: Pixars CARS and you don´t belive it, my family did not want watch it. [Frown] [Confused] [Mad]
Only good thing, I was two times in the cinema with the kids:
Planet 51 and Disneys The Princess and the Frog (since a long time a great new classic Disney).

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 05:52 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, it is 2x 200' excerpts without intertitles that I have edited together myself to get the entire film.

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 05:57 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dino,
the language is not important, Carolin Munro looks in every language sexy, maybe more in french [Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC