8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 55)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2009 08:22 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is ebay's policy to not allow 35mm prints to be sold on their site.

35mm collecting is not illegal in general, as some prints are in public domain.

A publication called "The Big Reel" was the main source for collectors back in the dark ages before the internet.

There was plenty of 35mm films advertised for sale.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 30, 2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is ebay's policy to not allow 35mm prints to be sold on their site.

That is what I knew, and there must be a reason for Ebay stating that policy

quote:

as some prints are in public domain

In this matter, you are talking about the copyrights, and yes that is right for some titles they are public domain. But what about the possession to the material itself, i.e the print physically? Knowing the 35mm prints are never sold to public? Unless you print that public domain material yourself (which is quite impossible, understanding the cost involved) you never own it.

Similar to the analogy (for example) a Jaguar X1 never sold to public, but only available for rent from Jaguar rental service. Every 5 years because the machine will get worn by that, so there is a company's rule to destroy it. But someday, someone is selling in market...how can he got that car, knowing the said company's rule? We can guess that Jaguar X1 is an illegal item.

quote:

35mm collecting is not illegal in general,

OK may be to collect in general is OK but not to trade it. So as Damien says above, you collect but you don't talk about it [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2009 12:17 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started a new topic, because we misuse this topic.

link

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2010 12:41 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK what do you do when it is new years eve and you no longer drink? Watch a movie of course...Well tonight was sort of a tear jerker, I am in danger of scaring my wife away for good if I don't give her a happy one soon. Tonight was a late era Gary Cooper film TEN NORTH FREDERICK (1958) on 16mm. It was a pan & scan printdown of a scope original. If you ever wonder what you could be missing check out the final pic of "The End"....The funniest thing is I once had a 70mm Gone with the Wind (which was blown UP from 35mm) and it was just as bad they just chopped off the sides when they didn't think it was necessary..OH and I went to the zoo today and rode a tiny little train so I probably should have watched a railway feature or some episodes of Hazards of Helen instead of a chopped scope print...

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2010 11:42 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going back to Wednesday:

Paradise, Hawaiian Style on Super 8mm. Nice print, good color despite being on Eastman stock. Focus is good but a bit soft, overall, I'm very happy with it.

Thursday:

Commando on Blu-Ray. Very nice and filmlike HD transfer, grain intact, color natural and quite vibrant in some scenes, excellent detail. A nice upgrade from the DVD and still a fun movie after all these years!

Wrapped up 2009 with my annual showing of Turn Back The Clock with Connie Selleca. A very good 1989 TV movie that I really wish would be released on DVD so I can retire the DVD-R I made from my VHS.

Then, I started 2010 with the Star Trek episode Mirror, Mirror one of the very best episodes of the original series made better with new CGI effects (I remain amazed at how natural they look!).

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2010 01:29 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Year's Day super 8 screening evening -
1st January 2010, Friday

LA PRIMA NOTTE DI QUIETE aka INDIAN SUMMER or LE PROFESSEUR (1972). Great drama directed by Valerio Zurlini with Alain Delon and Sonia Petrova.

Letterboxed print on Eastman LPP; official Italian release issued by Sil.Ma.

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

Equipment: Elmo ST 1200 HD; Elmo 1,3; a terrible, old 'rolled' screen (better the wall!).
Dinner and ready for tonight big show: FANTASIA.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 01, 2010 02:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That is certianly a good example of Eastman L.P.P. Not a spot of bluish color at all. Beautiful. Your a lucky man to have so many magnificent prints!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2010 03:08 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi.
I was quite sure all copies of this movie were printed on Eastman LPP. But I was wrong. I discovered yesterday some were printed on Kodak SP and are now on the brown side.

So yes, I must admit I was lucky to find this one in such a great condition [Wink] !

And you are definitely right: no bluish shadow at all!
Unfortunately, images are not excellent: the screen I used is a very bad one (see wears on it).

A little break and I go on with my FANTASIA screening (shots will be posted later).
Ciao.

--------------------

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2010 04:07 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Gian, that's one of my favorite movies, I had no idea that super8 prints of this existed. I saw this on the big screen at the filmmuseum here during a Alain Delon retrospective a while ago. Every time I see this movie I fall in love with Sonia Petrova again [Smile] It's great you have this Zurlini in your collection.

[ January 01, 2010, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Peter van Zand ]

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2010 05:05 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Year's Day Super 8 Night.

A genuine classic again: Disney's FANTASIA.

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

Projector used: Elmo ST 1200 HD.
Extra shots coming soon.

Peter, nice to see someone else knows this movie.
There's a copy for sale on Ebay right now. But, unfortunately, it's not on LPP. This is on Kodak SP for sure. Take a look:

La prima notte di quiete - Ebay Italia

Good luck, if you are thinking to buy it.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2010 09:55 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

--------------------

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 03:22 AM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian, thanks for the tip, but the seller will only ship to Italy. Great shots btw.

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 03:25 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Peter.
Did you already ask the seller?
Anyway, don't worry: I will let you know if I find another print.
Take care and Happy New Year.

--------------------

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 04:41 AM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I asked, spedisco solo in Italia.. Thanks for keeping an eye out!

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 08:40 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want me to try to win the auction (and I will arrange shipping for you to the Netherlands, in case) or do you like best to wait for another opportunity and maybe a print on LPP? Let me know [Wink] .

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 08:56 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I watched "Tom Thumb." Beautiful color and sharp focus. Great effects for its time with fun musical numbers and George Pal's puppetoon animation. A charming family film.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 02, 2010 09:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was ever to buy any parts of the Derann Fantasia, (as I wouldn't want the whole thing), it would be the "Nutcracker Suite" section AND "Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria" sequence.

Love those screen shots.

Disney was to make many a great animated film after Fantasia, but, even by his own testimony, he would never fly as high as he did with Fantasia. I think his great mistake was that he over-estimated the cultural heights that the general public would desire to achieve to. Todays hollywood does the exact opposite.
You can't lower the bar too far in seeing what people will put up with.

Fantasia set a high bar of cultural entertainment that I don't think will ever be exceeded. I'm still spellbound by the fact that Fantasia is only about ten years beyond the early black and white Mickey's. I wonder if Walt looked back at Fantasia and said to himself, "Damn good, old man!"

I just decided to watch a slew of cartoons :

Reel of three Tom and Jerry's 400ft

Mouse Cleaning
Quiet Please
Heavenly Puss

Early rarities 400ft

Fiddlesticks (early color/Flip the Frog)
Sunshine Makers (color/Van Buren)
Baloonland (color/Ub Iwerks)

Classic Warners 400ft

Whats Opera Doc?
Box Office Bunny
Carrotblanca

and lastly ... Classic Mickey 600ft

Steamboat Willie (first sound Mickey)
Sorcerors Apprentice (one of Mickey's High points!)
Simple Things (last classic era theatrical Mickey)
Runaway Brain (first New theatrical Mickey early 1990's)

Hows that for a night of classic toons?!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 09:43 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Osi,

Those are my two favorite segments from Fantasia as well. I have the Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria sequence and it is a stunner.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 10:14 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was "Dangerous Females," a 1929 Marie Dressler film, Blackhawk print, 400 ft sound.
...followed by "Lonesome Lenny," a 1946 Tex Avery cartoon print by Derann/Red Fox.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 10:16 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi and Guy,
I agree with you about both segments. I love them so much, even if the NUTCRACKER SUITE is my favorite.

Just a little sad A NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN-AVE MARIA (Derann - French sound) have some white lines (negative marks) but the print is absolutely gorgeous.

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 10:25 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you forgot to mention that Fantasia was the first film to have stereo sound! There had been some tests done prior but it was Disney who helped it come about through RCA.

Here's hoping this year's Blu-Ray of Fantasia has the orignal FantaSound recording as well as the remix done for the DVD release.

I spent the New Year with the following movies:

UP : On Blu-Ray. Finally got around to seeing it and loved it! Terrific HD picture and sound!

2010 : What else? [Wink] Another great Blu-Ray release with no digital processing for a nice filmlike image. Nice job with the 5.1 Dolby TrueHD remix. The bass was killer on this title! Even the 2001 theme was shaking the room!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 02:42 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,

Thank you for your kind offer. I just realized that I would need to re-record the soundtrack since I don't speak Italian, but there is no English version of this movie available as far as I know. Only French (which I don't understand either..) So with pain in my heart I will let this Zurlini go.
All the best to you, Peter

The show must go on, so tonight the first half of Hitchcocks The Lady Vanishes, on Walton super8

-  -
 -  -

[ January 02, 2010, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Peter van Zand ]

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 08:00 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturdaynight,screeningnight!

One of my favorite features!

Cinderella(Derann)super8 3x600ft
Pictures taken with my phone! [Big Grin]

-

-

-

-

-

Greets Jeroen [Wink]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 08:27 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, Peter [Wink] .
Jeroen... Your first shots posted here. Cannot believe. Bravo!

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Years Day I screened a beautiful Super 8 color print of Tex Avery's

Isle of Pingo-Pongo

Peter...nice shots of Lady Vanishes. I love that film. I have the 400' Walton digest with the original box in very good condition. They did a bang up job on the edits.

Bill

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC