8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 65)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 07:17 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart, that's OK. I guess we've all made posts that were misunderstood. I know I have.

Thanks Jon, for knocking this thread back on track!

My viewing this Saturday:

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (LASERDISC)
Fired up the LD player for this as it's the only way to see the 143 minute version. Still has very nice picture and sound quality after all these years!

WE'RE BACK! A DINOSAUR'S STORY (DVD)
Not the best animated feature but a lot of fun and great surround sound!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 30, 2010 11:56 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What someone out there does not like "Jar Jar" [Wink] he has lived out here in NZ since the movie hit the screens back in [Roll Eyes] 1999 and has proved to be quite a popular talking point, my wife won him in a local Pizza Hut competition while we were waiting to get into the movie and is the "star" attraction at the entrance to our little home cinema [Cool]

Actually I thought the movie was good entertainment and young Jake Lloyd did fine as Anakin Skywalker. The following films well...they became a bit of a downhill slide out here in popularity in the series.

Thomas and those who are interested [Roll Eyes] Derann released the "Pod Race" in Super8 Scope and its very good "I have got a print", there is a review of it here in the forum.
 -
[Smile]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2010 01:24 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah tonight I went through 3 formats. I started with a standard 8 200ft print from Film Classic Exchange of JUST MAINE FOLKS (1912) an early Lubin short starring Harry Myers and Ethel Clayton, and a surprisingly sharp print. Then it was out to the living room with my wife and our pup brittany who recently had her 15th birthday for a 16mm screening of KELLY THE SECOND (1936) a fun little comedy feature starring Patsy Kelly and Charley Chase with cameos of Alfalfa (the pic is for you Gian) and Max Davidson. Then finally it was into the bedroom and a last minute 9.5mm Pathex 2 x 60ft short of TIMBER QUEEN (1922)a serial starring Ruth Roland that I ran on my Pathex Baby model C with front mounted motor. I think tomorrow I will run the Pathescope version which was retitled TOWARDS THE ABYSS but is the same length to compare. I tried to take pictures and even a little movie of it in action but did not pan out. I should point out that this one is still running with original mazda 20watt lamps so it is not terribly bright but fun nonetheless.

Oh and I know my little Brittany has red eyes in that final picture but I assure you all she was not drinking that night..

-

-

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 31, 2010 02:28 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Patsy Kelly - one of my favourite actresses from the era. My favourite Patsy film is THE GIRL FROM MISSOURI with Harlow.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 31, 2010 04:01 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night on BD: "Watchmen - Director's cut"

And I'll back Graham regarding the Pod Race. It's really a must-have for a super 8 collector. Great print. I have re-recorded the sound with the dvd (there's a little bit of editing required) and the result is stunning.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2010 05:57 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I screened some films for my parents and some of their visitors.

First we watched "Our Gang Follies of 1938", Blackhawk 400', then "Who's On First?", U8 200', then watched a trailer reel that one their friends brought along, which had "Gone With The Wind" and "The Maltese Falcon" in it. Main feature was DVD projection of "Casablanca".

"Youre lucky I let you sit at the bar!"

Anyway, didn't have my camera, but the lighting in the room was terrible anyway, so the shots would've been poor.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2010 07:58 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I had a full film night.
First I moonlighted at the cinema, where I showed the new "Sherlock Holmes" with Robert Downey jr. (great film)
When I came home I began on super8 with the Disney shorts "Steamboat Willy" and "The Skeleton Dance" followed by the Marketing feature of "Airplane!"
And then to top it of i watched Disney's "Peter and the Wolf" on 16MM.
So during a period of 7 hours I showed 35MM, 8MM and 16MM, not a bad way to spend a day for a film buff.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 31, 2010 08:29 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas ...

Was your "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" the "Special Edition", or the original feature? I have the "Special Edition" with all that extra footage on Laserdisc, but it's in thye flat format.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2010 09:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, nice to know that someone else enjoys Phantom Menace like I do. Wish I could afford the Pod Race on Super 8. Maybe someday.

Osi, my LD of Star Trek is the Special Edition with the additional footage. Yes, it's 1.33:1 pan & scan. Looked weird on the 80" screen! Still an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon.

For the record:

Theatrical:-----132 mins.
Special Edition:-143 mins.
Director's Cut:--137 mins.

I have all three on different formats! Theatrical on Blu-Ray, Special Edition on LD and Director's Cut on DVD. I feel the Director's Cut is best as Robert Wise tightened the editing up and the new sound and CGI FX really give the movie a "finished" feel it's always lacked.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2010 11:30 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael , yep Patsy was a champ, I have another film of hers that I'm gonna watch next week.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2010 02:15 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snuck in some 16mm this afternoon before the Grammy's and I have to say it was an afternoon of pleasant surprises. Every now and then you see something offered for sale/auction and you think "OH man this is so rare it is gonna go for a ton." and then you get it for practically nothing. It doesn't happen often, but when it does OOOH BABY....The first film today was advertised as a "poop dupe" incomplete feature when I acquired it. Well it was never a feature film it is a complete 2 - reeler which I believe was "duped" off the protection master of a deteriorating nitrate print meaning it is not really a dupe...The dupeyness is from the deteriorating nitrate...The original print I believe is the one in William K. Eversons' program notes from the 50's. The film is The Devils' Assistant (1917) and it is one of the most amazing early horror films I have ever seen. The story, the cinematography the effects, the 3 headed dog...Amazing... The feature was What Price Glory (1926), Fox's war epic that lies somewhere between The Big Parade and Wings, both temporally and thematically, with Dolores Del Rio and dueling tough guys Edmund Lowe and Victor McLagen, and an all too brief appearance by Phyllis Haver. The print was dupey, but it was free via Dan Lail who offered up some vinegar films only this one does not have vinegar just some warping, which actually didn't affect focus until the final 5 minutes of the last reel. Since borh of these were silent I played a special soundtrack that Jon Mirsalis recorded for Wings and it fit quite nicely.

-

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2010 09:23 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday night February 1st 2010

DVD Projection

THIS IS IT

M Jackson feature documentary

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2010 04:03 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday night, starring Billy Bevan and Andy Clyde in
LIZZIES OF THE FIELD,SUPER HOOPER DYNE LIZZIES,CIRCUS TODAY,WANDERING WILLIES, ICE COLD COCOS.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2010 04:51 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ice cold cocos is a personal favorite of mine... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 05:58 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear fellow members
Last month I was very busy but now I found time to answer some questions. My post maybe looks like a little bit off topic but all the questions were asked here.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini and Winbert Hutahaean.
Thank you very much for your compliments about the photo I upload. I appreciate it. It is true, I am very proud about the photo but mostly about the successful end of my scope project. Nothing can stand next to the Gian Luca photos. Mine was just more artistic but it was only one.

Gian Luca, about the shows. Yes we always try to make shows with a lot of friends not necessary film hobbyists. Projecting is a great opportunity to be together with good friends with food, drinks and a lot of fun.

Winbert during the shooting of my film (first time in my life) I was using an on top camera lamp of 1000 watt. I had placed it in the upper screw of my Canon 814 camera, so the 85 filter was always off. Only a few of meters were inside the house. Most of the shooting was outside the house at the backyard but under a roof. It was a shiny day but not so bright light day (for Greece). For north Europe countries was a shiny day. I also shoot some meters outside the roof under the sun light. The camera lamp was always on. The colors of the film (Ektachrome 64T) were great nothing reddish or bluish. The result was great!

Cristian Bjorgen do you feel alone? You are not! First of all you have your projectors and your films. This is a big love by itself! Second you are in this crowded and alive forum and the facebook group. In order to run a projection you do not have to invite people interested in this stuff. Instead of watching a movie on TV or DVD you can run a film. Believe me they will like it very much. My first “Movie night” was only with my close friends and none of them knew anything about super 8mm. Just me and my wife decided to make her birthday party a theme (movie) party with my new hobby (super 8mm). Even her birthday cake had a film print on it. At that time I did not know anything about this forum or the “Greek Mafia”. Now I am a happy (as I always say) member of this forum and the “Greek Mafiosi” are now my new friends.

Stewart John Boyle difficult to find in Scotland? ...Come to Greece and try to find projectors, spares, trailers etc... LOL [Smile] . Almost nothing. Thank God EBay. Maybe you are luckier than me because post fees are cheaper to send something in Scotland than in Greece. The countries I usually buy my stuff are England, Germany and Austria. I believe that you are closer than me. As Gian Luca said correctly “It is an expensive hobby”. He knows very well about expensive...

Greedings to all
Antonis

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 10:54 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the cheering up, Antonis [Wink]

Yeah, just sitting alone in the dark with my projectors is actually very, very fun!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 12:41 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Antonis [Smile]
Maybe we should consider moving to the Beautiful US of A.
A land where projectors fall out the sky,and the streets are paved with polyester.... [Big Grin]
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 01:05 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian. Pick up the phone and call some friends for a Movie Night! Because in the end the only phone you will remember will be 911!!! (166 in Greece). Do it now!

Stewart, I do not agree moving to US. Remember .... The trip to the Ithaca is worth the living, not the island itself!

Feeling funny tonight [Razz]
Antonis
Antonis

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 03, 2010 01:36 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Dino....I'm waiting for the Patsy Kelly screenshots from that other film you have.....
[Wink]

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 01:40 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonis, [Smile]
Whatever her name is, i hope your feeling her well.. [Razz]
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2010 02:15 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael it is in the plan for this weekend... [Wink] so I won't forget about you

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2010 10:54 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday Night February 4 2010

Super 8 Sound

Trailers:
Die Hard
Commando
Alien
Magadascar Xmas Penguins
Dolby Stereo Spectral Recording Snipe

Feature:
Mixed Company (Optical Sound)

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 05, 2010 12:55 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night DVD projection : "Le Mans", starring Steve McQueen

[ November 06, 2010, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 06, 2010 10:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann's "Toy Story"

I showed this for some guests after dinner tonight.

We told them it was Toy Story and they said "Oh, it's just a couple of clips from the movie, right?"

They couldn't conceive of a modern feature full length on Super-8 and were amazed by it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2010 12:36 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Michael tonight was the night..I watched THERE GOES MY HEART (1938)with Frederic March and Virginia Bruce (Patsy Kelly is the third billed)in a sort of light version of It Happened One Night...There is a special cameo at the end by Harry Langdon..A pleasant movie mainly because of Patsy's antics..There is one scene where she is selling an exercise machine called the "VIBRATO" pronounced like "vibrator" to which Patsy keeps yelling "Vibrato, Vibrato, Doesn't anyone want to buy a VIBRATOR", very funny...Not my best conditioned print but still an original..OH and I started off with one of Wayne Tuell's new BAMBI Meets Godzilla (1969)

-

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC