8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 83)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2011 08:35 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night at my film series I showed a super 8 Niles print of Josef von Sternberg's The Blue Angel (Der Blaue Engel) Von Sternberg shot a English, and German version of the film back to back. Sound still being a very new way to view films, he took advantage of this.

They both had the same cast, and they had to know both German, and English to shoot the film. The English version was thought to be lost for many years, and turned up within the last 10 years or so to accompany a double dvd set by Kino. The English version looks a lot better, and survived the ravages of time better.

When Niles made prints in the 70's, only the German version was available, and even though it has quite a scratchy soundtrack due to its early sound, which was recorded on a sound disk, and quite worn out, the showing was well received and discussed at length for a while after the showing. A few people still preferred this in its film format, instead of a cleaned up digital dvd. One of the better Niles releases for sure.

|  IP: Logged

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2011 05:01 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here comes the pictures from the last (at present) of my medieval educational films on 16MM.

The title is Medieval Society in England and it runs for 28 minutes.
There are no datecodes except during the Swedish main and end titles. On the main title: 1977, and on the end title: 1978.
It has turned slightly but the colours are much better than the pictures show.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

This last picture shows a woman being punished for having her husband endure "exessive nagging".

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2011 05:05 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing going through education films on 16MM, here comes the next installment.

The title is A family in ancient Greece, it's 11 minutes long.
The copy has two datecodes: 1965 & 1966.
As you can see it's really faded, but as I said before it somewhat fits.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2011 02:43 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars - so many great educational films you have... I wonder if those medieval ones have borrowed footage from a feature?

Been fixing Babies, so what do you watch? Notched films...Hmmm where's Paul..I need some more lamp mods..... [Smile] No seriously...

Anyway I busted out the little 3 foot screen and I watched a couple of reels beginning with le peintre de dragons (1919, aka The Dragon Painter) with Sessue Hayakawa on 3 x 60ft reels. It had a great deal of exposition and lasted almost 13 minutes. This is the only 9.5 I know of with him so it is fun to see even though the full film is available on DVD. Then it was on to comedy w/ Paul Parrot..Or sometimes Charley Chase being called Paul Parrot...I wonder if there was some contractual issue why Pathescope never promoted Charley, since he was obviously the more famous of the two...Surely there is a Maurice Trace article about this I must locate...
First up was QUID PRO QUO (1924, aka At First Sight 2 x 60ft G10120) which is one of the Charley Chase Jimmy Jump shorts, next was MY DEAR MR. WATSON (1923, aka Finger Prints 3 x 30ft V10090) that actually stars Paul Parrot as a junior league sleuth, along with the lovely Marie Mosquini and everyone's favorite bad guy Noah Young., then onto MILADY'S CHAUFFEUR (1924, aka One of the Family 1 x 60ft G10356) another mislabeled Charley Chase film... Sorry for the dark images but let's be honest a 15 watt bulb on a 3 foot screen can only get so bright...

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 24, 2011 08:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After returning from the January Derann Films Open Day which was a superb day by the way we could think of nothing else than putting on a super 8 show which went like this..

"A Visit to the Bolex Factory"
(This is a film which was produced by Bolex to advertise equipment and the film was supplied to dealer outlets)

"Betty Boop in I Heard"
(One of the new prints with re-processed colour and we watched twice)

"Betty Boop in Poor Cinderella"
(Such a lovely cartoon masterpiece from the 30’s)

"Hunchback or Notre Dame" 1996
(Gorgeous Derann print quality with belting stereo sound track)

At the end of the show we laid plans in the diary to make certain we make the next Derann Open Day on July 3rd 2011.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 25, 2011 06:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I had what tuned into a very nostalgic night viewing some of my first ever Sound film purchases from way back and on Standard 8mm.

1/ Derann Films 200ft Standard 8mm A SUGGETION FOR YOUR FUTURE ENTERTAINMENT black and white sound.
Highly sought after reel these days as it was the first Derann put together as a complete opener.

2/ Early Derann Films trailers TRIP TO KILL and EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN Trl Colour Sound

3/ TENTERDEN STEAM RAILWAY Meteor Films B&W Sound
Coincidently in the mid 1970’s I had just got my very first moped, so loaded up my standard 8 cine camera and headed off for the railway to film it. The only reason I mention this is that I purchased the above film from a chap who had it in the boot of his car after he spotted me filming the trains.

4/ To end the show I watched THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN 1942 feature which is another of my prized std 8 possessions and such a joy to project on standard 8mm.

Busy week this week so that ends my fun and games until the weekend. [Frown]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 02, 2011 07:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched this Super 8 scope trailer
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yle3M2N1O_g
(Above is a video clip of it shown via the GS1200 wonder machine + scope lens)

Then the Standard 8mm sound feature Psycho 1960 which still looks good even today. Not sure how long I have had that feature but must be a fair old time. [Eek!]

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2011 03:33 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI! GUYS MY LAST NIGHT SCREENING WAS DODGE CITY FULL LENGHT

WITH ERROL FLYNN

REGARDS

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2011 11:06 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I SAW THE CLASH OF THE TITANS by Ray Harryhausen it was great not to bad color. Super 8 sound and it held up good only a few places were a bit red but all in all great picture.  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 04, 2011 10:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just glad to be home from work!

Not a "program". I just kept grabbing films off the shelves:

-A Train for Christmas
-The Beatles Come to Town
-San Francisco (Panorama International Travelogue)
-Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony (parts 1 and 2) from Fantasia
-Narrow Gauge in Portugal, (parts 1 and 2), Sunday River Productions

(We'll call it "Eclectic"!)

Welcome back to Lee Mannering! I watched my print of "Cinema in Miniature" the other night.

-We need more films about film!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 05, 2011 02:57 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve.
I was quite a bit slimmer in that as well and younger!

Other cine/film related Super 8 prints worth looking for are
Project the right image 200ft Derann. Hilarious short on how not to give a film presentation.
History of the Cinema 200ft 1956 Cartoon
Cecil Theatre 200ft Derann
These are some of my favourite shorts and very repeatable.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2011 10:01 AM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I broke out one of my 8mm B+H Filmo Picture Master projectors and ran a print of Art Accord in "The White Outlaw". Very poor quality image, but the first time I have ever seen an Art Accord western. Kinda sad to watch because I liked his outrageous stunts with his horse and his screen persona, knowing that his career died a few years later when sound came in. He shot himself in a Mexican hotel in the early thirties. Then I ran a nice print of the classic Buster Keaton "Seven Chances". Never ceases to amaze me and make me laugh. Then I threaded up a 200ft reel of Tri-X reversal film I shot on a Bolex H-8 in 1994.
Reaffirms that projecting film is the only way to really see its beauty...

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2011 10:29 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walton 4x400 print of "Witchfinder General." Still has terrific color. Also a 1x200 Ken print of "One Million Years B.C." that I just won off eBay. Alas, it is beet red.

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2011 10:52 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walton 400ft "The Muppet Movie" with great color, purchased from Dave Ullom. Excellent condition and smooth-running, just like you said, Dave! Very funny, too! [Smile]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2011 10:55 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Walton MUPPET MOVIE has great colour too,probably printed on low fade stock as it was one of there last 400ft's

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2011 05:33 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently purchased from David Ullum and Paul Foster.
From David Ullum:
War of the Worlds-Beautiful Agfa estar print of the 3x400 foot. 2x400 foot of 1941 sadly faded but has orginal boxes.
400 foot Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
Beautiful brand new Derann print of Disney's Night Before Christmas

From Paul Foster: All on LPP
Best of Friends & A Test of Courage-Excerpts from Fox & Hound
Most Befuddling Thing-Excerpt from Sword and the Stone

Here are pics:
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 06, 2011 04:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a night to remember.
One of our unusual nights where anything can happen and usually does.

Started watching a new DVD of the film A NIGHT TO REMEMBER 1958 and was so looking forward to it only to discover that the print they had used was scratched left of centre through 90% of the movie. It wasn’t long before we got that sinking feeling and was ready to give up on the DVD. Getting half way point we had enough so got out the Super 8 feature and watched the last full 1200ft reel to complete without the scratch. Once again Super 8 comes to the rescue!

DCR Films issued the super 8 print and it’s all rather good of course having that authentic film look minus those blasted scratches on the DVD issue. The DVD is also sadly cropped to 16:9 so yet another example that it might just be worth hunting down a film print instead.

Kenneth Moore leads a great cast in this British retelling of the R.M.S. Titanic launch to disaster and all in glorious black and white leaving much to your own imagination.

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2011 04:58 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen yet another educational film on 16MM.
The Beginnings of Exploration runs for 14 minutes.
It spans between the years 900-1500, and deals of mans explorations during this period. Since the sprocketarea are black I don't know what kind of stock this is, but I'll guess it's AGFA judging from the glorious colours. The film is copyrighted in 1965.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

The film is a mixture of live action, animation and stills from paintings and illustrations.

--------------------

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2011 02:47 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black sprocket area would mean: reversal prints.
In Belgium and The Netherlands many commercial 16mm releases were reversal and all the ones I encountered are on Agfa.
Reversal was used because most theatrical releases are subtitled and it was cheaper printing from a 35mm subitled original then subtitling the 16mm prints afterwards.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 08, 2011 03:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched
DIRTY WORK 1934
Hilarious Gaumont British movie starring Gordon Harker, Robertson Hare and many others. Oh what a night!

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2011 06:14 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last night fellas,i screened the fog full leght by derann,full
lenght,this was also made in digest in 600ft,i belive as well
edited,but my person opinion,this fill full lenght give us
[Razz] another felling,and great scope

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2011 06:12 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing going thru my educational films om 16MM.
The Spanish Explorers is 14 minutes long and are made in 1965.
Just like the previous it's a mixture of live action, animation and stills from paintings and illustrations.

I suspect that it's on AGFA stock. (no markings)

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

For those of you that's getting tired of these, I only have a couple left to go thru, then I vill go back to "real" films.

--------------------

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2011 09:37 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! guys last night i screed the african quenn,nice print
from derann

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2011 06:19 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The educational film Pompeii Once There Was A City from 1970, 24 minutes long. The copy is Eastman from 1979, and subtitled in Swedish.

It's made by Sol Kaplan, who used his wife and her brother as narrators. And who might they be? Frances and Van Heflin. It was one of Van Heflins last jobs before he died in 1971.

The film has a interesting premise, it juxtaposes Pompeii with modern (1970) New York, and makes the statement that a disaster like what happened in 79 AD, could just as easy happen today in a modern big city. Having in mind what happened in NY ten years ago it seems almost profetic.

-

-

-
"Everybody writes on walls except me"

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 12, 2011 07:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my son's suggestion we had a Bugs Bunny festival:

Buccaneer Bunny
What's Opera Doc
Sahara Hare
Rabbit Fire
Knightly Knight Bugs
Wabbit Twouble
14 Carrot Rabbit

That's four Yosemite Sams and three Elmer Fudds.

Between the two of us we did most of the dialog and singing. (In this case we could have just as easily used silent machines!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC