8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 88)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2011 10:14 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Saturday,started with a nice derann print of the fab four in concert,then settled down to A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sims,16mm of pure nostalgia!

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 24, 2011 12:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Night: Random 200 Footers from the Shelf

Under Your Feet (Look at Life)
Return to Dunkirk (Movietone Newsreel)
Yellowstone Park - A Vision of Picturesque Legend (Panorama International)
Shopping for a Queen (also Look at Life)

Before that I went to Church to a party celebrating the completion of this year of Confirmation Class. The kids were down in the youth room playing Beatles Guitar Hero and every last one of 'em knew the lyrics!

-to them it must be Classical Music!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2011 09:31 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, what settings do you use for your camera when taking screen shots? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2011 12:27 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I finally finished watching my acquisitions from the BFCC and I am glad. Mostly hits and only a very few misses (i.e. bad prints,and one short bought twice!!).Mostly standard 8 silent (there is where most of the treasures are!!) Let's see.. the features: Murnau's CITY GIRL, Vidor's LA BOHEME, Abram Romm's BED AND SOFA, Groucho and Carmen Miranda in COPACABANA (unfortunately a british 71 minute version but most enjoyable, nevertheless) and James Hayter in THE PICKWICK PAPERS. Among the shorts,a number of excellent prints (Blackhawk and Breakspear) of several Griffith Biographs and Edisons,two comedies with Mr and Mrs Sidney Drew (TOO CLEVER BY HALF and HIS FIRST LOVE STORY),and others with Cliff Bowes (WEAK KNEES), Johnny Arthur (JOHNNY'S WOOING),Max Davidson (FLAMING FATHERS),Ben Turpin in a rare Vogue (STUDIO STAMPEDE) and Snooky (SNOOKY'S FRESH HEIR).A "making of.." DIRECTOR OF 'THE DEVILS'with Ken Russell and a FooFoo cartoon. A nice crop I would say!

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2011 02:32 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! FELLAS ,LAST NIGHT I SCREEN BRUCE WILLS IN DIE HARD A GREAT
SCOPE PRINT FROM DERANN,AND ON SUNDAY I SCREEN THE FOG ON SCOPE
TOO,IN MY 10 FEET SCREEN IT LOOKS GREAT [Razz]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2011 08:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis,

I have been searching for the Max Davidson: Flaming Fathers.
Is yours on Standard 8mm? Do you believe that there may be many
prints circulating and who was the distributor?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2011 02:29 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
This was also a surprise for me.It is a british print in std 8,with original titles intact,(from Vintage Films...I am not sure).In the beginning it is rather light but then it settles to o.k.The same distributor (presumably), also had DON'T TELL EVERYTHING, which I missed!

Ilias Sifakis
Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2011 05:55 AM      Profile for Ilias Sifakis   Email Ilias Sifakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I watched a great print of Romero's Night of the Living Dead that I recently purchased.

I hadn't watched that film for some years and I was amazed by how it looked on super8.
The print was great, with almost no scratches and great contrast.

A really really enjoyable film!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 02, 2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Night
Panorama International Travelogues:

San Francisco
Washington DC
Yellowstone Park
New York

--------------------

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2011 02:57 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All S8mm:
Riders Of The Purple Sage w/ music score
Cops - silent
A Girl And Her Trust - silent
Boobs In The Woods - silent
Screen Souvenirs - silent

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2011 11:54 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys I saw the MAGIC SWORD Directed by Bert I. Gordon. Starring Basil Rathbone, Gary Lockwood, Estelle Winwood! It was 5X400 reel Super 8 color sound Red Fox release. A classic film that story went like this. The son of a sorceress, armed with weapons, armour and six magically summoned knights, goes on a quest to save a princess from a vengeful wizard. Wow! what a classic and in the end Patrick's faith in God save them not magic. It is the legend of Saint George and the Dragon.  -  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2011 02:05 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dino, what settings do you use for your camera when taking screen shots? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
Oops sorry Wayne...I have been having so many computer issues I forgot...I'll double check the settings next time and let you know

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2011 02:11 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne...I don't think you are going to like this but, it looks like I have had the camera set on auto for sometime now...

I have been experiencing a number of computer problems lately, so I am waaaaaay behind on my pics, but here is the start of catching up, although I can't remember which days I watched which, but in the order I watched them are as follows....

First my new favorite movie that i saw by chance on the German ebay...YETI (aka Yeti - il gigante del 20. secolo, 1977) (2 x 400ft Super 8 --matted for widescreen) I don't know how I missed this film when I was growing up,
but W [Eek!] W ! ! ! Equal parts King Kong(Delaurentis), Towering Inferno, Attack of the 50ft Woman...I don't even care that it is an Italian film dubbed into German, and I don't know what they are saying...BRILLIANT! !

Next up an original 16mm print of a Hal Roach comedy entitled BROADWAY LIMITED (1941) featuring my favorite funny gal Patsy Kelly, and an added bonus of Zasu Pitts (both Thelma Todd's comedy short partners)...It is your usual runaway train, baby snatching, mistaken identity, star on the run, comedy romance, so I loved it....The print was a little mis-advertised, since it came stinking of vitafilm and had some serious warping at the tail end, but a patsy kelly film is always a good purchase...

Not sure how the pic will look since I am not using photoshop..

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 06, 2011 05:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cruel Sea. 1953(Derann)
Another classic movie directed by Charles Frend and stars Jack Hawkins and Stanley Baker. Derann Films have certainly made available some great movies...
Watch the trailer here: http://youtu.be/eoQOyhB1ppk

[ June 06, 2011, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 06, 2011 10:29 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino ... great shots!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2011 02:29 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Osi.... [Big Grin]

Next up was a French pathe 9.5mm silent film ADRIEN A DU TOUPET (aka The Truth Juggler, 1922 roughly 200ft) starring Paul Parrot and the lovely Jobyna Ralston...

-

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2011 02:31 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next a rare one on 9.5mm. This one is the first episode in the Bray studios comedy series entitled FISTICAL CULTURE. The episode title is PAR UN DIRECT DU DROIT (aka FIGHTING FOOL (1926) with Lewis Sargent, Wanda Wiley, and Betty May as the love interest. The story is about a young farm hand who wants to be a boxer, and he tricks someone into giving him a chance. further episodes have him continuing to fight. The irony is the FIAF database does not list any archival holdings on this title, but I have this 2 x 300ft 9.5 pathe release, and I know that UCLA has a nitrate print without a main title of reel one in their unidentified pile, so anytime someone says a film is lost don't be too quick to accept defeat..

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 08, 2011 06:15 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1953 newsreel Sup 8.

Followed by the blu-ray of Houdini 1953.
It’s a film that was so often on TV when I was a youngster I went mad and treated myself to the blu-ray which has just landed and a film which holds so many memories. It also comes with Those Daring Young Men In Their Jaunty Jalopies as a double bill. I suspect they have done the best they can with Houdini subject to the film materials they had available, colours are superb but the Technicolor registration is very poor in places and at times could be mistaken for watching anaglyph 3D but without the glasses particularly on a big screen! But it’s a treat to have it and of course watching it in HD its like viewing a whole new movie.

I ended the show with a very short 9.5 sound film THE QUEEN and always encourage a visiting audience to stand for this as they used to in the old days, especially as its on 9-5! [Smile]

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2011 03:35 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Friday night (3/6) with the “Greek M@fl@ team” we watched the following 16mm films. Men only, pizza and a lot of fun! Sorry no photos.

Woody Woodpecker – Wild Bill Hiccup. Color, 250ft.
The Greeks (documentary - 1974). Color, 1000ft.
Betty Boop – Penthouse. B/W, 250ft.
Trailers* and Ads. Greek in B/W and the all the others in color.
Yanis and his dream (Barr films documentary). Color, 800ft.
Lone Ranger (TV, ep.104) – Sinner by Proxy. B/W, 1000ft.
Muppet Show (TV) with Lynn Redgrave. Color, 1000ft.

*The color trailers were:
Pink Floyd – Live at Pompei
Woodstock
Blues Brothers
Blues Brothers 2000

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2011 02:06 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Blood(1923) was the theme of the week... I started by watching a 9.5mm French print of the vitagraph version. The film is a notched release and I'm not sure if the French version is slightly longer than the Pathescope or the same length, but either way,...........Here goes...I also went to the Million Dollar theatre in Los Angeles to see the Errol Flynn version. It is actually surprising how much of the battle footage was re-used from the Vitagraph version.

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 14, 2011 05:25 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started sorting through a pile of films for someone else....again!
Betty Boop & Little Jimmy
Sing as we go

[Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 14, 2011 09:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Hal Roach comedies from our old friends at Blackhawk

Our Gang in "Hi Neighbor!"

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy in "Busy Bodies"

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 16, 2011 03:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a very reminiscing evening and dug out my first super 8 sound projector which is my much loved Eumig pronounced Oimig by the way. Yup it’s still going strong after so may years and the sound head is still producing excellent sound.

So, last night we watched THE UNDEAD which I re-titled “So bad its more than good” although my old audio cassette with my childhood pals doing the sound track has long since been lost. Perhaps I should do a new one?

Boris Karloff in The Crimson Cult [Eek!]

Finally watched some home movies and it never ceases to amaze me how solid the colours are after all these years. The little Eumig has stood the test of time so well, steady picture and good sound and of course the shows given with it in the 70’s and beyond hold lots of memories.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2011 02:07 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been neglecting the little guys lately so I broke out the "Oimig" and watched a standard 8 print of RED RAIDERS (Milestone 5 x 200, 1927).. A very non-pc, action packed Ken Maynard western. Truth is most of the real action is done by Maynards' horse Tarzan..

-

--------------------

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2011 09:44 AM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday night we had our next "Dive-In Movies on Glenwood". We had around 30 guests, had some great food, drink, and fun! The lineup:

All Scope program, starting with trailers:

'A Star Is Born'
'Jaws'
'The Sound of Music'
'There's No Business Like Show Business'

MGM cartoon 'Touche Pussy Cat'

and the feature "GREASE".

Good times!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC