8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 89)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2011 11:42 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just screened last night my new in the mail from England print of Forbidden Planet . I could not believe the color and the sharpness of this print . What a beautiful gift for me on Fathers day . I have wanted this film on Super 8 for years and just happen to just the day before got the movie on Blu-ray. Now that is called timing. " The Lord makes some beautiful worlds" quote from Forbidden Planet Wow ! What a movie to own on Super 8mm ! This is were they got Star Trek, Star Wars, and every other good Sci-Fi Movie. Forbidden Planet was the first science fiction film that was set entirely in deep space, away from the planet Earth. It is considered one of the great science fiction films of the 1950s, a precursor of what was to come for the science fiction film genre in the decades that followed.An intelligent, absorbing piece of early science fiction that wasn't afraid to use big words, Forbidden Planet was a smash in 1956. Along with terrific special effects for its day and a Shakespeare-inspired story, Forbidden Planet also featured the debut of everybody's favorite Robot Robby. Robby, a phenomenal mechanical man who can do more things in his small body than a roomful of business machines. He can make dresses, brew bourbon whisky, perform feats of Herculean strength and speak 187 languages, which emerged through a neon-lighted grille. What's more, he has the cultivated manner of a gentleman's gentleman. He is the prettiest piece of mechanism on Planet Altaire.The prettiest thing there, by far, is Anne Francis—also known as Altaira—the daughter of Dr. Morbius. He is the lone American scientist who has survived from a previous trip that was made to this distant planet twenty years before. And it is he and his beautiful daughter—who, we might add, has never been kissed—that intrigue and confound the handsome space-men that descend in their flying saucer to see what's what.A cinematic marvel for the ages, "Forbidden Planet" possesses a look and feel that was far ahead of its time. With an unusually large budget for the genre, director Fred McLeod Wilcox filmed the movie in glorious CinemaScope to fully showcase its artful sets and visual effects. The most impressive sequence in the film is Adams' tour through the underground world of the Krell, the ancient civilization that first inhabited the planet. Featuring a combination of miniatures, matte paintings, and animation, this sequence alone justifies the movie's status as one of the most influential of the 1950s, leaving its stamp on just about every major sci-fi movie that has been made since. The unforgettable sound effects of Bebe and Louis Barron, who basically invented the electronic score, add to the surrealistic landscape of the film, taking it out of the typical studio-bound world and creating a fully active and convincing universe.This movie is totally amazing! Outside of the Star Wars movies, Forbidden Planet is a true masterpiece. Even though it was made in 1956, you will forget about the special effects and all the other things that made this movie stand out. I like how this movie was made in color and in widescreen.And it looks fantastic in Super 8 . Check out my stills from the real movie playing . The print is beautiful! Oh and I was the lucky one to just get this 4 X 600 Super 8 color sound from Perry's Movies that was in the list of bid like sales. Thank you it was a dream come true for me a die hard collector! This is my all time favorite film.

-

-
 -

-

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2011 01:13 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi - congratulations, that is one of those films that I think most of us wish we had....Looks great! ! !

ran a couple of extremely contrasting 9.5mm shorts tonight. The first one is actually a Spanish title called RECLAMO ORIGINAL(2 x 60ft, probably around 1922)which looks like an Eddie Boland comedy, but I am not sure which one. This was followed by La course du flambeau (1925, 6 x 60ft notched)which is a heavy melodrama I picked up as an untitled reel since it was missing its main title.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 22, 2011 10:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only in scope ahhhhh, still great to see it ...

and of course, your screenshots, Dino!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2011 11:08 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding "Reclamo Original" — wow! I didn't know Helena Bonham Carter has had such a long career. And she still looks pretty good!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2011 03:10 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
wow! I didn't know Helena Bonham Carter has had such a long career. And she still looks pretty good! ]
Yep...still going strong at 110 just like Frederica Sagor

Tonight I actually did a screening at the Echo Park Film Center of the movie POPULATION ONE (1981), but earlier I had the chance to watch a few shorts.

The first 2 were 9.5mm comedies screened on my Coq D'or, HOT STUFF (1924, Pathex C-84 2x60ft notched) a Hal Roach Spat Family riot, followed by BOIREAU MACON (1914, Pathe 100ft) which is one of I believe only 2 Andre Deed comedy shorts available on the gauge....

The final short was a gorgeous color film on Super 8 that I picked up off the latest Derann list of a 1963 Pathe Pic news story. this one is all about the BFI's early film restoration practices and techniques. It includes some scenes from the rare Hepworth studios 1913 version of HAMLETfeaturing Johnston Forbes-Robertson who it was said was the finest actor of his time, especially in this role...More importantly though this short shows the infamous MARK IV step printer in action, and its legendary inventor Harold Brown, who is without equal in terms of his importance in the field of film preservation. He was the original and I hope is appropriately revered in the UK for both his creativity in the field and his devotion to saving films during his 50 some years at the BFI...

-

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2011 12:56 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost forgot that over the weekend I also watched the Clash movie RUDE BOY (1980) on 16mm, which even though it barely has any color left is just as enjoyable as ever...Does anyone have a lowfade print they just don't need anymore? Didn't think so...I will say that the contrast is much better than it looks like in the pics, but I watched the film during the afternoon and there was still a lot of light in the room.

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 04, 2011 02:54 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our annual Night to Remember show went off OK, without explosion and we screened:
Titanic trailers
Titanic newsreel 1912
Cruise Cat 1952
Titanic 1953
A Night to Remember 1958

Quite a lengthy show but the theme screenings go down well here. The 1953 Titanic was a bit of a programme filler at our show prior to the big feature A Night to Remember which is something I particularly enjoy screening each year. ANTR is a lovely print which in my opinion way overtakes the DVD issue from a rather badly scratched 35mm print thus making the super 8 feature highly desirable and collectable today. The super 8 print is very good and fortunately lacking the tram lines contained on the DVD, good sound and a rocking good British movie. The film itself does contain many historical errors though such as the watertight door indicator being positioned the wrong way up and lighting equipment can be seen in one shot, but it all makes for good viewing just the same and we really enjoy this flick every time it’s screened. In case you don’t already know it will be 100 years in 2012 since the Titanic sank on 15th April so expect to see many events taking place next year, and I am quite sure your TV will be awash with Titanic programmes. However, nothing in my opinion beats the thrill of this super 8 feature and it always makes for A night to remember.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 06, 2011 01:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a nice night at the movies Lee!

Tonight ...

Films that are related ... (mostly only by title)

"Goodwill to Men" (scope/animated) (nice Derann Print)

"War Babies" (Shirley Temple Short)

"Raid on Entebbe" Peter Finch/Charles Bronson It's a good print on Agfa 2S stock and completely unfaded, though one wishes the sharpness was just a touch better, but OK.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2011 01:38 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi...OK you got me...how are the titles related? (I am guessing that there is a war/fighting thematic connection, but can't figure out the title connection)...Its been ages since I saw Raid on Entebbe and it is so much better the Victory at Entebbe....Great film to have....and Lee, wish I could have seen the Titanic program, sounds like a great and interesting group of films.

Tonight I had some friends over to watch a new 16mm acquisition..It is one of what I refer to as the Big 3 Mara Corday films, Tarantula, The Giant Claw, and tonight's feature THE BLACK SCORPION (1957)...For years these films have been far out of my price range but i took a gamble on an ebay print for $250 and it turned out to be an excellent original. I had forgotten how much carnage this one had.

-

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2011 01:10 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I watched the ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER Super 8mm ! Wow what a film! It was a 400 feet reel and in color from 1938. Saturday matinees were never more of a treat than when I saw this movie. I have never forgotten that whitewashed picket fence or the inside of the cave filled with the magical light of stalagmites, stalactites - it led to my reading all of Mark Twain and begging my parents to let me go caving. Though it was years ago, those memories are as clear as if I were sitting in the theatre today!!! Bravo, for a wonderful movie.Casting of the picture was reported a laborious job, in the course of which hundreds of boys were tested before Tommy Kelly, from the Bronx, NY, was selected for the role of Tom. His early scenes show self-consciousness but in the final sequences when he is being pursued by Injun Joe, Kelly performs like a veteran.

Walter Brennan is a standout among the adult players. He is the village drunkard, Muff Potter, accused of the graveyard murder.

May Robson loses no opportunities as Aunt Polly, whose life by turn is celestial and hellish depending upon the vagaries of Tom's vivid imagination.

Injun Joe is played by Victor Jory with all the fiendish villainy in the part.
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 16, 2011 10:41 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday night, super 8 scope a la fresca:
- Rollercoaster (Blackpool's Big Dipper)
- Star Wars trailers (Trilogy sp. ed., ep I, ep III, ep V)
- Pod Race extract from episode I
- The Fog digest.

-

(picture taken with my phone)

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2011 01:09 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow Jean-Marc that looks pretty great! !

Tonight I had time for a couple of Super 8 sound shorts about movies...Both are from the 1970's and both came off the last Derann list.

The first was a B/W serious doc about film production and exhibition in the UK entitled NEXT PICTURE SHOW It had some really great short behind the scenes footage from the making of TOMMY, and of Sir Cliff shooting SUMMER HOLIDAY and when they let people in to tour the sets of OLIVER...Very interesting doc....The second was called PROJECT THE RIGHT IMAGE a funny look at putting on a small gauge show. Kevin F. reviewed it a few years back

-

--------------------

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2011 08:28 AM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night my wife and I watched the Caroll Reed's The Third Man, my wife hadn't seen the movie and thought it was amazing. I had seen the movie in DVD about 7 years ago and really enjoyed it as the first time. Film is really something special.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2011 05:12 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I spent the day in the basement cleaning films and re-arranging some shelves. I screened:

Super 8 scope
Scandalous John (trailer)
Walt Disney World (ad)
The Bible (trailer)
Rooster Cogburn (400')
Airport'75 (400')

Super 8
A Star is Born 1943 (trailer)
Gone With The Wind (4 different trailers)
Dracula A.D. 1972 (trailer)
An American Werewolf in London (trailer)
Ben Hur (trailer)
Apollo 11 Man on the Moon (silent 200')
Hong Kong Connection (silent 200')
Hoppity Goes to Town (feature)

Had a really nice day at the movies. With the humidity outside and temps in the mid 90's, the heat index has been about 110 F so I end up in the basement were its cool!

Bill [Smile]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 25, 2011 05:37 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to sell Rooster Cogburn?

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2011 06:16 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat...no, not for sale. I picked it up about a month ago. It looked great on my curved scope screen and it is a very well edited digest. Has the entire story in 18 min! I like this film a lot.

Bill [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 26, 2011 04:22 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit of a fab night last night as I got to see Eraser un-cut on the big screen for my first time. One of Arnolds later films and always loved it, but to see the extra minutes was rather a treat for me. [Big Grin]

Went to see the latest Harry Potter in 3D. Very poor 3D have to say and we both left boss eyed. I expect they added what was the limited effect after the film was completed. Better to be seen without the 3D I would say.. [Roll Eyes]

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2011 10:13 AM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to see Harry Potter's latest movie, and specifically selected a 35mm film with no 3D. 3D has become a matter of marketing. Two weeks ago we went to see Cars 2 in 3D and I had my worst 3D experience to date, the movie is excellent, but something went wrong with the 3D projection, the objects that were supposed to be in the front where in the back and viceversa, it was a terrible! I went and complain, the projectionist was called and he said everything was perfect, it wasn't, he actually didn't managed to fix the problem. After about 30 minutes into the movie I found out that I could see 3D as it should turning the 3D glasses upside down, no very comfortable.

I am fed up with 3D and all this digital stuff. I want FILM not pixels!!!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 26, 2011 12:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For us, it was our recent acquisitions from barry Attwood of Independent 8!

The Two Ronnies in "The Picnic" (Classic British humor!)

Born Free (Cineavision edition)

and since we had the scope lense up and connected ...

Bearly Asleep (Donald Duck, Humphrey Bear, Desney/Derann scope)
BarBCue Brawl (Tom & Jerry, MGM/Derann scope)

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 26, 2011 01:17 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit of a pre empt but looking forward to firing the machine on later tonight to screen Star Wars with the local "Darth Vader fan club audience" It should be great fun yet again and as per usual a very late night of fun and games..

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2011 12:07 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran a pile of educational films to see what they are...a couple of Love American Style episodes, and L&H's Music Box.

Hey Dino...guess what I'm thinking... [Razz]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2011 02:47 PM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars followed by Star Wars then we had Star Wars and finally Star Wars [Smile] my 3 year old boy has become obsessed with it and wants it on over and over again.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 28, 2011 04:28 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William. Great to read that post about your 3 year old. Reminds me of my lad in the 80's who used to ask for Never ending story over and over. Happy times.

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2011 05:42 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee im so glad he enjoy's sitting watching it yesterday it was a 200ft movietones sound, colour reel from 60's or 70's of the Chipperfields circus he was in stitches laughing at a football match at end featuring two teams of dogs.One even fakes an injury and clowns come along with stretcher only for him/her to fall through it commentator described him as doing his Georgie Best [Smile] Also liked the Wombles who appear in the ring for some reason.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 29, 2011 03:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started getting ready for the annual RAISE THE TITANIC Scope screening and still looking good in scope. It was released on 1st August 1980 at the flicks so another one we show each year. Interesting that it is another feature you can only see in orig format on Super 8 Scope. [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC