8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2009 08:18 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino....According to Scott MacGillivray's excellent book on Castle Films ..Border Law was from a 1927 film , Border Blackbirds. and is fairly rare because Castle only issued it in 1942. Revenge on the Range was from the film of the same name, produced in 1925. Castle has them starring "Chuck Williams", who was really silent era cowboy hero Leo Maloney.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 16, 2009 10:20 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning color print of "Ice Pirates" (16mm)!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2009 05:44 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of this week I've been running 8mm compilations (mostly 800' but a few 1200' and a mix of mag and opt) and they've covered a lot of ground - railways, cartoon, travelogues, film & cinema etc. So tonight I watched a feature - 2500+' on a big Fumeo reel - on the Fumeo 9139 arc 300. I'd forgotten just how good 'Victor/Victoria' is! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2009 10:40 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot Keith.
Of course I did. I'm screening it tonight.
Ciao!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 17, 2009 01:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last full 600ft scope reel of "Mask of Zorro" (1998) and the optical sound feature of "Futureworld" (1976, Peter Fonda).

I tell you, I am still stunned as to how good the optical Super 8 feature looked, when super 8 was still largely in the "dark Ages" quality wise from the standard companies.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I finally saw "AIRPORT",in 35mm, IB tech. Great great great copy!

Waouw! I've found it!

JC.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2009 11:49 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday night January 17th

I MARRIED A WOMAN

Super 8 scope

THANKS DAN!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2009 11:29 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday Night January 19

The Clonewars

DVD Projection

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2009 02:30 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who lost a girraff. A delightfull, if a bit trippy cartoon from my youth. And Dough and Dynamite. A very funny Chaplin flick. I finally opend a box of 100 or so misc 200 & 400' reels that I bought a year ago. It was a decnt buy of ex-library films. They're in pretty good shape especially considering where they came from.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2009 05:45 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
after 30 years awaiting in a cold storage basement of an old shop i found yesterday a sealed print of the full length feature of
" saturday nigth fever",i only pay 20 pounds for the feature thinking that maybe was faded because the seller told me that the box was sealed but a little bit broken in the corners and have a very little wet smell so i offer that cheap price and he gladly take the money but when i opened it and after lubeit whit filmguard.. a surprise!!! a new print with rich colours ..
i watched enterely the last nigth and im glad that the colours hold so well after 30 years of storage in the shop,the codes in on the print revealed that is a kodak sp like almost all marketing films releases and was printed in 1981 so i think is one of the latest releases of marketing,the box is completely white and made of hard cardboard of good quality and have the original cover art from marketing films printed on glossy paper and stick to the front of the box.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 20, 2009 07:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose,

What excellent luck you have!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2009 08:09 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] jajaja,yes Douglas i was the first surprised here,i dont expect too much because the seller told me again and again that they don want to sale something so old that he has in the basement of the shop i can convince him thanks god. Here in canary island ,especialy where i live in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria theres a lot of old shop that in the 70īs and 80īs selling films and equipment and i usually take a walk and ask to the now old owners if he has someting in the basement about super 8 and the most of times have films,cameras and projectors new in boxes,last week i found a shop called MARTELL that was an elmo and yelco distributor ,they show me the basement and i see at least 8 yelco 630 stereo el,i ask for a price and after a call to the owner they sell me 2 brand new at a price of 45 pounds each,i want to back looking for elmos,sadly almost all the old super 8 stores in canary islands keep the 80 per cent of the material new and sealed on cold basements but if you ask usualy you can find great surprises if you can contac to the owner of the shop. [Wink]

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 22, 2009 02:13 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jan 21st, all super 8 screenings
- Roller coaster rabbit
- La Zizanie (French comedy), three-parter from Marketing Film (good polyester print with strong colours).

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 08:40 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last nigth i watched a super 8 print of "the thief of bagdad" 1942 korda production in a marvelous technicolor

--------------------

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 10:50 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched the Super 8mm print of MEET ME IN ST LOUIS.4x600ft.Excellent colour print,
Regards,
Peter.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 11:18 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose

You might want to check your software connections related to your keyboard. I believe it has a lisp. [Big Grin]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 01:12 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose you lucky man. Thats it im booking my flight tomorrow to gran canaria. Im hopeful that the luggage excess wont cost me too much with 3 GS1200's in the suitcase [Big Grin]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2009 04:02 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make it four and I'll pay you back!

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2009 03:30 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] jajaja Grahan,if you have time ask for a shop called "MAYA" is located on a street called triana ,last year i buy from they a new elmo projector because they were the original elmo projectors dealers back in the days,maybe they have cameras too and super 8 related items...good luck and welcome to gran canaria!!!!

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2009 05:19 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched HOUSE OF GAMES 1987 with Joe Mantegna on 16mm. Excellent colour - past the 84/5 cut-off to low fade - and sharp definition. All original leaders and not a splice in it. Needs a careful clean though, full of bits and pieces onscreen which have mean't a few fine lines. But good. The film? About the confidence tricksters in Seattle. Great. Acting a bit stagey. It was a stage play.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2009 06:02 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I did once go to Gran Canaria in 1997 on a lads holiday with Escapades. Cant remember the area we went to but I remember the beach had a pile of large 'breeze blocks' in the water, sort of a man made island. If only I had known back then about the cine shops I might have searched for them. Anyway this is going slightly off topic.

Graham S

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2009 09:26 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] heheh Graham,that beach is called "las alcaravaneras" is a really long beach, you was very near of the shop i referred in my last post [Eek!]

last news: dear forum members yesterday i found a new solar cell
sylvania yfv 930 if someone needs it i can give it for free just send me a mail.oops pardon friends im a bit out off topic..sorry!! [Wink]

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2009 04:29 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On saturday evening (24th), my wife went to babysit our grandchildren, so it was an opportunity for me to screen one of the old oldies, which I hadn't seen for quite a while.

1937 Gainsborough production of "Oh, Mr Porter", starring the much loved Will Hay. Standard 8, black & white, sound.

Even though humour has changed somewhat over the years, I still found myself giggling and laughing at some of the railway antics they got up to, - to say nothing of the misunderstandings along the way.

85 mins. of delightful clean old fashioned fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! David, you can't beat Will Hay, and Oh Mr Porter is one of my all time favourite films.

Last night it was "All Quiet on the Western Front" on my Sanyo PLV-Z1 video projector.

It's over 25 years since I last saw this and I'd forgotten just how powerful the battle scenes are. No fancy petroleum explosions to look good on camera, real high explosives and corresponding thuds on the soundtrack. The shot that sticks in my mind is where a French soldier is holding onto some barbed wire when suddenly there's an explosion right in front of him; the dust clears and, for a fraction of a second, you see two hands, severed at the forearm, hanging off the wire.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2009 11:00 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love "Oh Mr.Porter". I saw this film as a young lad and it probably was the reason for my becoming a train driver. I've been doing it for over 30 years but happily I have not had to deal with gun runners and I haven't crashed a train. Many years ago a friend of mine who worked for the GPO in Basingstoke took me to a road that led to part of a farm and some fields. However this was the now long disused Cliddesden Station which was used in the picture. The platform was still there but the track had long gone thanks to Beeching's destruction of our railways. It was part of the Basingstoke to Alton Railway and it is at Basingstoke where "Gladstone" crashes at the end of the movie. It was a wonderful experience walking on the platform of "Buggleskelly Station". Alas the signal box and the level crossing were also no longer to be seen.

Paul.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC