8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 96)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2011 10:22 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

the print of American in Paris from Kinzieman is not 6x400' but only 5x400'...

Furthermore ID4 is 6x600' and GWTW is 8x800'
[Wink]

Flavio

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 19, 2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! [Eek!]

That is a lovely print of "Miracle" Dino! ThanX 4 sharing1

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2011 03:44 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just finished 'The Private Life of Henry VIII' an hour ago. My wife, a cousin and I fell head over heels in love with the motion picture. Laughton's cheerful disposition in youth to his disturbed state after cuckoldry are memorable. The ladies so beautiful. The humor, the sets ..... every bit of the film is outstanding.

Before purchasing the film, I noticed it won Charles Laughton the Oscar for best actor and that it was nominated for Best Picture. In addition to these, I factored in my wife's love for period cinema. Also, I was in search of a sound film to play on my Bolex SP-80. I had to purchase the film.

This is the best print I own, at least for the moment. The sound is terrific too.

-

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2011 01:24 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay looks like you have a pretty good collection there already. And good taste....

Tonight starts what I'll call the Winter Movie Wonderland....since I have a week off from work I can watch a little more than usual.....

I kicked it off with a crime/western starring Jack Perrin and another from the silent days Wally Wales in a Super 8 sound feature entitled HAIR-TRIGGER CASEY (1936) (Select Films 3 x 400ft). It has some of the non-pc elements found in many early sound films, but is notable for containing one of the longest, most awkward flashback scenes I have ever watched. The print bounces back and forth between soft and sharp.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2011 01:53 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As usual, I love your pictures Dino. Did you receive the e-mails I have been sending you? I have sent you two recently.

Honestly, I loved 'The Private Life of Henry VIII.' When it was nominated for Best Picture in 1933, Frank Capra's 'Lady for a Day' was also in the running, another movie we like at my place. There is something about films from the B&W period, I wish I could put it in words. I realized this when I watched 'It's a Wonderful Life' and a lesser known 'The Champ'. How I love these films! I can't imagine a remake of 'The Champ' in today's times. Am scared everyone will write it off as drab melodrama.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2011 12:37 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay,

Agreed.
Films in B&W are beautiful.
The cinematography with silver nitrate film, pops off the screen.

The "color" in the B&W film Casablanca, is the music. As Time Goes By.
When the music swells Bogey goes from a drunk and back into being a sober man,
reflecting on a happier time in Paris. At the end of the film, it's a coda
when Rick and Ilsa say goodby. He recollects and says: "you wore blue."
The musical finale is triumphant, of a sunny tomorrow.

There are some B&W films and I wish that they were made
in Technocolor. Yankee Doodle Dandy is one.

Gone With the Wind would not have worked in B&W. John Cameron Menzies
cinematography is spectacular.

I enjoy all films for these reasons.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to one and all.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2011 07:55 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the family, last night I screened Toccata for Toy Trains (1959) by Charles and Ray Eames and it was a big hit! For those of who may not have a 16mm print handy, here is a link to the only complete version on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYgt8Ni9vQ

I later screened Metropolis (1927) on 5 x 400' Regular 8mm -- I'm unsure who the distributor is but the print was pretty good, slightly soft with source print lines and good contrast. I was saving this film for New Years day but, we are almost there anyway...and had many requests for it. Not as good as Dino's 9.5 tinted print but, still very exciting to watch for the first time!

-

-

-

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2011 12:23 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Gerald....I actually have a standard 8 print of Metropolis that looks very similar so my guess is yours is from Griggs.....Does yours have a soundtrack?

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2011 02:21 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film came in cans...here is a picture of the head from R1:

-

The print just starts and ends abruptly, has the opening title but, no sound. I have a couple of soundtracks for the film including a record of the Giorgio Moroder soundtrack which one of these days, I'll run together.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 27, 2011 02:49 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice looking print, Gerald.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2011 02:12 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie winter wonderland continues......I have my 6 foot screen set up continuously this week. Today started with a 16mm print of WHITE ZOMBIE (1932, 2 x 1200ft manbeck films version), well actually it started with a list of things to do around the house from my wife such as installing the remote transmitter in the ceiling fan, painting the bathroom shelves, etc. I even built some new shelves in my film closet to re-organize the small gauge stuff, but the first film I watched was the Lugosi title that also featured a silent film actress Madge Bellamy, who was far sexier than any modern actress.

later in the evening I watched a 9.5mm silent comedy featuring not only the wonderful Betty Balfour, but also Syd Chaplin entitled A LITTLE BIT OF FLUFF (1928, pathescope 2 x 300ft SB30038)

Tomorrow I have some fairly rare silent titles I have been saving for sometime so it is going to be a good day......

-

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 28, 2011 04:23 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Completed the last Christmas show with a tirade of Disney’s including…
Santa’s Workshop, Pluto’s Christmas tree and the Sheila Graber animated short 12 Days of Christmas viewable here on flu-tube http://youtu.be/tiUZV1Un5gs
The feature was Disney’s Cinderella which is a charming film we feel from 1950 and I love the sound of Ilene Woods voice as Cinderella. This film must have been very popular when it opened as it made nearly half the production costs back over just one weekend.

It has been a bumper year here for screenings out and about and pleased to report the Elmo GS1200 only developed one fault in that time which was fixed quickly mid show with a squirt of switch cleaner so apart from that and my back playing up lifting it we had a jolly time and as you would expect, the young people we were projecting the films for enjoyed the experience trying to work out how the images got to the screen and a pleasure telling them how it all works.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2011 12:18 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee glad to hear the elmo has made it through another year of xmas screenings [Smile]

Winter movie wonderland today was an all silent 16mm program in salute of Lee's Lumiere memorial (albeit no Lumiere material)......I started with a serial episode, which is more of a series episode from FIGHTING BLOOD - 2nd Series - Round 6 WAGES OF CINEMA (1924, 2 x 400ft Kodascope print)starring George O'Hara. This is a weird one where each episode revolves around a boxer and his comedic team played by Al Cooke and Kit Guard (who were in one of my favorite episodics The Telephone Girl series)...This was followed by one the last silent features by the king of the quickies J.P. McGowan entitled BELOW THE DEADLINE (1929, 2 x 1200ft)starring the loveliest overbite in Hollywood Barbara Worth. I cannot help but chuckle at the title when I think of it as an inside joke for McGowan in that he turned the project back in for release below the deadline. McGowan's films are always flawed somehow but for what he worked with and how fast he did them I'm never surprised. This one has some good elements mixed with bad, but the strength here is the peripheral characters who are all clearly defined and unique....I think the pics all look a tad soft because of the light spill since I watched these during the afternoon...OH and the final pic is of the new shelves in the film closet...

-

-

-

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2011 01:22 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking Lee suggestion in honoring this day, first I set up my oldest projector, a Regular 8mm Bell & Howell Filmomaster circa 1946. It is only 300' capacity but, it's one of my favorite projectors:

-

It's all thread up with a 200' Blackhawk print of The Magic of Méliès, it has three of my favorite shorts.

-

The Magic Lantern has a very special kind of projector...more on this one on the other thread. Later, I pulled out the Sears Tower automatic thread 8mm projector with a Tower Sound System. The tubes in this amp give the sound a nice loud tone, some prints are better than others, in which case you can always turn treble up or down with little hum:

-

Forum member Joseph Morrison was kind enough to share his print Thomas Ince Studio Tour with me. A great little 400' silent documentary on the making of films produced by his studio. I can't recall what the score is but, it is nice and loud, almost like circus music. Needless to say, I turned it way up for effect. More on this for another thread as well.

-

Lastly, I brought out the Elmo ST-600 for a quick, easy, and modern set up. Thanks to Jon Addams and after adjustments, I rarely have to check for proper threading. And I've begun to recognize the sound of it going through it's path -- that tells me it's passing smoothly.

-

I finished with a silent Blackhawk cartoon from Walt Disney as he worked with minor studios before he ran his own (in Hollywood) while living in Kansas City. Here we have screen-shots from short film Newman Laugh-o-Grams as he was personally animating a short and Puss in Boots, another title that can also be added to a different thread, as the title character and his accomplice attend a movie starring Rudolph Vaselino...

-

A fun night of films and photos, thank goodness for moving pictures! Here's to 115 more years of cinema, where ever it will be then...

[Smile]

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2011 01:44 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald I love the "Sears Tower" set up you have there... So great...plus the original Bell & Howell projector wouldn't sound,..................................................................................ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,k-------sorry that interuption was from my cat "Little Clara"

but what I was saying was.... The B&H tower doesn't have the same ring to it.....

BUT great titles Gerald - and speaking of such would you have any use for a vinegaring Beau Brummel-1924 (standard 8 and scored), maybe you could get a screening out of it for your club before it dies...I hate to just throw it away....

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2011 02:30 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Michael on Metropolis...Does anyone know who may have released that print?

and Dino, I purchased both the projector and system separately, am very excited to pair them. The only down side is the DLG bulb that the projector takes is usually expensive but, the light output is very good. The system works with most silent projectors, I noticed automatics play through it much better.

It sounds like your Clara may be looking for some boots:

-

And sure, I'll take the Brummel with VS, thanks!

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2011 01:24 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald Griggs released the Metropolis. They got hold of a German print and had to make their own titles...

Winter Movie Wonderland continues today with another 16mm look at a journeyman director....First up was one of the few Betty Boop cartoons i still have after cleaning house last year. Now I am not the biggest Bimbo fan but I do like Kiko, and this one has the whole Frankenstein theme so its a keeper in my book...I don't dislike Boop at all, but in the last 10 years she has been marketed to death here in Los Angeles (not sure about the rest of the country)... I might estimate that 1 in 10 cars around where I live has some sort of Betty Boop sticker on it..anyway
the short was BETTY BOOP'S PENTHOUSE (1933, 1x 400ft NTA TV original). This was then followed by a feature that I apparently have 2 copies of (Well 3 actually but one is on eastman)in glorious IB TECH. The title is TENNESSEE'S PARTNER (1955, 3 x 1200 original) and i watched it a couple of years back with my wife, but this is a separate print from that one, so if anyone is looking I have one for sale. It was directed by Allan Dwan. I have about 10 of these 1950's B pictures he directed and they are all enjoyable on some level (and Rhonda Fleming in technicolor ain't too bad either)...The thing that struck me this time around is how the opening title states "Print by technicolor" i don't know that i have ever recognized this sort of title before....Plus this print is in gorgeous shape with only a handful of brief lines in the whole print, which goes to show you that not every former rental is trashed....

-

--------------------

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2011 01:51 AM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i didnt see this post, i had written this in the previous post about joining in!
Heres a copy of my post :x

im not sure if the photos are too dark to see, but i projected the only full length film i have, "Dont give up the ship" With Jerry Lewis. I had 10 people and 1 dog attend the screening and everyone enjoyed it [Smile]
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

-
 -

And also HERE IS A VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzM7iDAgUfw

--------------------
All your films belong to me :) just kidding, we can shares!

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2011 02:12 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony, I'd only like to confirm ...... "mission accomplished" [Smile]
What are you using for a screen? It looks like some bedspread or drape to me.

Dino, love your pictures. Gerald too, those projectors look so quaint to my untrained eye. I love these projectors where the reels are aligned vertically, has a certain look.

We, my wife, a cousin and I, watched Foreign Correspondent. Having never seen it before, we were blown away. Hours later we were wondering how the airplane sequence must have been shot. Anyone know? Today, we are always told that special-effects of now are the best. Naive as I am, I believed it all along. Then I saw this plane - flying, attacked, metal rending from wings, sinking, floating in the ocean - sequence and I don't understand the need for computers. It all looks real here, right? Now, I must watch the B&W King Kong made in 1933; maybe it won't look bad at all?!

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2011 02:30 AM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay im using a super thick queen comforter cover. (so theres basically 2 sheets that the projection falls on. it has never been washed. i kind of just threw it on my backdrop stand so its wrinkly but Works brilliantly whether its for film projections or digital! Ill usually clamp the edges down if i have something projected larger!

Dino- im gonna email you about that extra Tennessee print you have!

--------------------
All your films belong to me :) just kidding, we can shares!

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2011 01:24 PM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like every year around Christmas I watched a few Tom & Cherry shorts with my little ones.
This year "The Milky Waif" was especially liked. Each year different - nice!

--------------------
Alex

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2012 03:33 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched a Blackhawk print of Chaplin's The Gold Rush (1925) on 4 x 400' to ring in the New Year with the family. I started the film at 11:00 PM and by the third reel, we ushered in a new year both in the movie and in real life!

Here's to all of the prospectors out there...

-

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2012 05:17 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Years Eve, 31. dec 2011; just like last year, the big screening day for me with all of my soon-to-be-wife's family gathered at her sisters house to celebrate, I set up my portable cinema in one of the kids rooms and pretty much had a show running non-stop the entire evening.

Program for the evening:
  • Tom and Jerrys "The Night Before Christmas", Walton 200'.
  • Tom and Jerrys "Million Dollar Cat", Derann 200'
    Intermission/dinner break
  • "Mickey and his pals", Derann 400'
  • And then; the new T&J 800' big reel, featuring "Posse Cat", "His Mouse Friday", "Casanova Cat", "Solid Serenade" and "Cueball Cat", all 200' Waltons.
    Screened with colour filter for better viewing experience.
    Another short intermission for drinks and toilet trips
  • A final short, "Mickey's Trailer", WDHM 200' in MINT condition, before it was time for the main features:
  • "Mickey's Christmas Carol", Derann 600', and finally for the grown-ups:
  • L&Hs "Way Out West", 3x400' Walton.

Intermission to go outside and light fireworks, smoke cigars etc.
  • Rounding of the evening, "No Sail" and "Working for Peanuts", both 200' Derann Donald Duck shorts.
  • and finally some assorted home movies for everyone to enjoy!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2012 11:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Thanks for the Rhonda Fleming picts. You lucky man.

Gerald,
Nice shots of The Gold Rush. Is this from the print itself?
Is the Blackhawk a Standard 8 or Super 8 print?
I'm interested in the Blackhawk over a RBC Chaplin print of Gold Rush.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2012 12:35 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: Thanks for links on Facebook! I wish my family was into Tom and Jerry, it was my favorite cartoon and kid.

Michael: The Gold Rush screen-shot is from the internet, I didn't have the time to set up the camera. It's a Super 8 copy of the film and the contrast is very good, not to dark. I had a Regular 8mm Blackhawk that was comparable if not, superior.

But the 16mm print of The Gold Rush is spot on with excellent contrast. However, the film narration (if it has sound) is sort of unnecessary and ridculous -- I prefer it silent or with the Chaplin score minus narration.

No films to screen tonight on the projector but, I did get a chance to spool all of my incomplete Foolish Wives into one 1200' reel and will take a look at it tomorrow without any breaks. The first time viewing, it was on 6 short reels!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC