8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 97)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was more Three Musketeers action with a 16mm print of The Iron Mask (1929) with sound score and narration by Douglas Fairbanks Jr. who does a very good job of telling the story as it happens. It was like your grandfather reading you a story, complete with onomonopia sound effects.

-
 -

I really liked this print, it is in excellent condition with very good contrast. It's on 2 x 1600' reels and R2 was not rewound properly, the perforations were on the right side so these are screen shots from only the first reel, which has it's own "conclusion". I'll screen the rest of it tonight with a couple other 16mm prints I've had on hold for a while.

[ January 03, 2012, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Gerald Santana ]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 03:03 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I screened a Niles print of My Man Godfrey. On five 400' reels, the feature seems complete. The print itself isn't the best; the focus is soft, and the sound is just a little more than passable.

On the positive side, this could be a very memorable comedy for my wife and cousin who watched it. Despite the imperfect sound, we laughed through all five reels. William Powell, Carole Lombard, Gail Patrick .... why haven't I heard these names before?
 -

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 08:03 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great shots Akshay, keep them coming!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 08:11 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting notes and other memorable actors and films:

Powell and Lombard made this picture after their marriage.
Lombard later married Clark Gable.

Check out William Powell in the "The Thin Man" and the subsequent films in the franchise.

Franklin Pangborn - Little Rascals- Wild Poses, W.C. Fields films: International House, The Bank Dick, Never Give a Sucker an Even Break.

Eugene Pallette - The Mark of Zorro, Adventures of Robin Hood,

Mischa Auer - Pick-A-Star (Movie Struck,) You Can't Take It with You.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 08:30 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, of all that you state, Lombard's marital trajectory catches my immediate attention. When I was younger, I used to wonder why film actors had several marriages / relationships. Now, when I see some of them on screen create this great chemistry, I feel that the love shown on screen can't all be acting, can it?

Consider the scene where Lombard and Powell are doing the dishes. I, as a viewer, was falling in love with Lombard and my wife with Powell [Smile] . Couldn't the actors be feeling this too?

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 11:05 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay,

It's a great scene.

Unlike many, these two pros were able to team up again and the charm comes straight through the camera.

I've always loved her. Lombard glistens. What a doll. She could play it soft and tough, and all in the same breath.

Powell's performances are great.

Don't miss: The Thin Man, and After The Thin Man. Powell and Myrna Loy.
It will be a treat for everyone.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2012 03:10 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few standard 8 shorts tonight before bed.....I started off with a film that is currently fascinating me as I can find no real info on it....It is a weiss brothers film from 1928 called PIE ALLEY (2 x 200ft, unknown distributor), but I don't know who the actors are (the little kid looks like Big Boy). It was terrible. an entire reel of pie throwing...bad pie throwing...weird........Followed it with 2 other artclass productions from the western side. Before becoming the beauty of sound films Jean Arthur made a series of western shorts. i watched RIDIN RIVALS (1926, 1 x 200ft) and ROARING RIDER (1926, 1 x 200ft). They were great little shorts from a series where each episode starred jean alongside a different western star...Quick, fun action....These 8mm prints were from the 1940's and each suffered a little from "fuji spots" and the old printing made keeping a sharp focus tricky, even though the source material was beautiful....

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2012 04:50 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On friday evening I ran the following ......

T+J jerry and the goldfish

Flavour of the month (movie adverts/derann release)

L+H Busy Bodies (blackhawk print)

How to catch a cold (disney, Technicolour)

Motor Mania (disney)

Dixieland Droopy (Tex avery/MGM)

Donald Duck in Mathamagic Land (disney/part technicolour)

They were all on 16mm and run on my ELF RM-2

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 07, 2012 12:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the screenshots as always Dino. What I found interesting about "Pie" was the "Lucky Strike" title card! Lucky Strike cigarettes apparantly jumped onto the "modern media bandwagon quite early. The earliest I had heard of Lucky Strike is the entertainment medium was sponsoring the Jack Benny show, which they did for quite a few years.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 01:30 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching last night the classic 400 foot reel digest of Close Encounters . I still think it has some of the best scenes. And it still looks good no pinks .  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2012 12:57 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, While that is an interesting observation..I think the name may be more of a series name, where the main company like Christie / Educational / Hal Roach, etc would put out a bunch of different comedy series'. Sometimes they would be under a name like the lead comic, but other times would have names like Bullseye / Mermaid, etc...My guess is that Lucky Strike was the kid series, but if it was a "sponsored" series that would be a great topic for an article....But speaking of sponsorships, since I have been working on getting my portable 35mm up n running in the condo I figured this early 1930 safety film 35mm print (3 x 1000ft) I have would be a good testing print....They just don't make em like this anymore do they???? [Big Grin]

I should add that this is a legitimate sales film, not a comedy....

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Leon Thomas Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2012 02:42 AM      Profile for Leon Thomas Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.
I wish to thanks this forum provider and all the inputs from its members .I really enjoy every parts of it, especially ‘what films did you show last night’ with all its magic pictures of silent and sound films . Thanks you again for this wonderful forum.
regards
Leon Thomas Jones [Smile]

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2012 10:25 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I ran a number of silent films, most B/W.

On standard 8..

Charlie limbers up (50ft, charlie chaplin extract)

Man on the moon (100ft faded colour, daily express production!)

Thrills and spills (200ft, car crashes, circus acts etc)

Mouse Burglar (100ft glamour film)

The Iron Mule (200ft, first film I ever owned xmas 1979)

on super 8...

home movie of family (100ft colour)

Star Wars (200ft,about the 10th I film I owned)

I ran them on a Eumig 602D, which I had found during 2010. It was on a bench outside a cash converters (pawn) shop. I presume the previous owner tried to get some cash for it but was turned down. It worked perfectly, including the bulb!

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2012 02:00 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had another good night with my film club screening The Lost World (1925) on 3 x 400' Regular 8mm reels. Everything was going smoothly until the 3rd reel had a bad jitter on my automatic machine then, I switched projectors.

That's the first time I ever had to do that with a print but, had to do it as 40 people were waiting for the conclusion. With no sweat, it only took two minutes to change and re-thread onto a manual Revere, not as bright as the automatic Sears Tower but it worked and concluded the show to applause. [Smile]

Later, there were two other films to look at, Romeo and Juliet (1966) the ballet with Margot Fonteyn, Rudolf Nureyev on 16mm. This features very exciting music and great choreography. I highly recommend it.

And finally, we got a chance to see the first reel of On the Waterfront (1954) on 16mm again before calling it a night. The print was very sharp with very good contrast and thought about what a good a job they did with the Columbia Classics digest on Super 8, in many ways it is just as good in quality.

-

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2012 12:39 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Night I watched the Adventures of Tom Sawyer 400 feet digest and Wizard of Oz 400 feet digest. It was wonderful to watch these two classics and see the nice scenes. My two kids loved them and got into the short films that showed the whole movie. Sometimes they can't sit still for a feature .  -
 -  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 17, 2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ThanX 4 those pics laksmi!

"Tom Sawyer" is a favorite around our house too! I have the ABC films feature print of that and the image quality does vary from spot on color, to an overall brownish tinge to the colors in other scenes, but when it's spot on, it's lovely!

I've always loved that last shot in the film ...

"Aunt Polly!" (slap!)

--------------------

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2012 01:04 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sorceror's Apprentice Short extraction from Fantasia. Got this one for Christmas! A tiny bit of fade, barely. But otherwise Fantastic print.

-
 -
 -

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2012 02:11 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HeY OSI I like the slap to. But I think the most unforgetable scene is when Tom is at the top of the cliff in the cave after following the light to a excit. He says "Becky I see the light " and turns around and says " Becky I'm coming for you"! Wow that sends chills up my spine everytime. And of course the time in the court when Injun Joe throwns the nife at our hero. I love the part in Wizard of Oz when Toto pulls the curtian exposing the fake Oz thats classic as well.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 18, 2012 05:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Midnight a delightful 1939 B&W flick with some of the great film stars of the day including, Don Ameche, Claudette Colbert and John Barrymore to name but a few. Never ceases to amaze me just how startling some of these 16mm prints were with glistening images on screen which could have easily been mistaken for 35mm. Lovely evening watching this one..
 -

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2012 06:23 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having an "Arnie" week. Last night - Deranns feature release of "Predator" - 4 x 600ft on Agfa stock with grey magnetic stripe - STEREO sound.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 18, 2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even with the pixilation, I can see that this is an awesome print, (just look inbetween the pixels ... hee hee!)

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2012 01:07 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, probably not the best way to "show off" the print quality, doing a montage. A case of "more means less".I think it may be something to do with the "upload"?

To give you a better idea of the print quality, have a look at the couple of shots below -

-

-

I wonder what is for dinner this evening? [Wink]

[ January 18, 2012, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, we watched The Lost World (1925). That this is a story by Arthur Conan Doyle interested me because I've recently read Arthur & George, on the life of Conan Doyle, and his The Hound of the Baskervilles. We were looking forward to this movie, until the film began. The film has a rather soft focus which is disappointing. Take a look.

-

I was so disappointed. I had to watch something good. In a few minutes I threaded up the first reel of Ben-Hur: A Tale of Christ.

-

My print of The Lost World is by Niles, while Ben-Hur is by Blackhawk. Can someone point me to a good Niles print? After a series of soft focus prints from Niles, I am considering purchasing only Blackhawk films in future. Is this a bad idea?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 19, 2012 04:31 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay. Some of my Niles prints are even better than Blackhawk.

Watched 'Chase Me Pastry' issued by good old Capital Films whos adverts used to boast 'The Best in 8mm' Richard Hearne stars in this Std 8 collectable and one day I must get round to striping the film and putting a sound track on it.
 -

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 19, 2012 01:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually found standard 8mm to be better than super 8, believe it or not, (I'm speaking of the earlier years and not the Derann print years).

I have both Blackhawk editions of "Big Business", on standard 8mm and super 8mm, and most definitely, the standard 8mm far outshines the super 8 print.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC