8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Aussie's "Films On Super 8"? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Aussie's "Films On Super 8"?
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2008 08:10 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this has been discussed on the forum before, but I'm wondering if any of you have had luck making any contact with this company in Australia.

I have attempted to E-mail and telephone them at various times over the last year or two, and never, ever, get a response. The web site is very curious, because, everytime I check it, it will say "last updated..." and will list a date from one day before. I don't know of ANY super 8 website that updates EVERY DAY! So, I really starting to wonder what's up with this company. The prices have been the same for the past few years, in spite of the fact that the films, especially the U-8's, which are many, are probably faded.

Its all very strange to me. Has anyone else out there had any luck making contact?

James.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 08, 2008 11:42 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the web address as I would like to take a butchers. Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 08, 2008 11:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen that website as well. There are a few films I'd love to have from it, but i never get a reply.

The Universal 8's may not necessarily be faded if stored properly though.

Back in the 80's I ordered from them and got what I ordered, though. It must just be a sideline for the person. That's just my guess.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2008 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev;

http://users.tpg.com.au/leytonho/fos8/index.html

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 08, 2008 12:39 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think the site is updated daily but I think that the date at the top of the page is generated automatically.

It may be that they have gone out of business but the web site hosting remains until the site comes up for renewal. Having said that I notice that all copyright text shows 2008 so who knows?

This happened with the UK Spondon site. They went out of business but the site remained up and running until it presumably came up for renewal and then it shut down as there was obviously no one to pay for it.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 08, 2008 02:12 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the site:

Customer Email Feedback May-2008- "Thank you very much ... You offer great products and I will continue to order ..."

Feedback from the future!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2008 03:11 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe this outfit sells many films.Prices are outrageous. [Eek!]

--------------------
Trevor

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2008 03:28 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have brought a number of films from him and I have had no trouble, the guy who runs the website used to have a film shop in the 1970s/80s and he closed when VHS came in, about 4 years ago he set up the website to sell the stock he has had in storge, I brought the 400fter Ken Films TITANIC from him, as Trev said his prices are expensive, but is stock is all new ex old shop stock. He may of gone out of business now as I brought my last film from him about 2 years ago, but his list on the website has had a number of films sold on it over the last year or so, someone must be buying some then....... [Smile]
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2008 01:25 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of the company (once The Home Talkie Co. I understand) as they were one of the main Sydney Super 8 stores in the hey day.

I emailed again late last year asking about colour fade and even if they are all sealed, what recent customers had commented about the colour, alas no reply.

I have tried via phone and email over the years and have never had a response!

I know the prices are high, but for brand new sealed films, there are a few I would buy.......I would just like a little more info!

David

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted March 09, 2008 10:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, how I HATE one page websites.

Anyway, that is a free website hosting company serving up that page, so whoever the user was may very well have gone out of business years ago. However as long as people keep going to that web page, the server will continue to keep it live. That's generally how those work.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 10, 2008 09:31 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote and received a couple of answers when it was The Home Talkie Company Of Australia. Now, I'm going to write again because there are two travelogues I want ONLY if they are selaed in the original CASTLE cardboard boxes, NOT the plastic U-8 - If anyone can find out for me before hand, it's for LONDON LANDMARKS & SAN JUAN CITY OF CONTRASTS - Shorty

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2008 11:07 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In relation to all these Universal films or Ken films, the prices for these even sealed today are well too much on the price. Plus more importantly will not guarantee the quality of the film regardless.

Does anyone remember when Derann bought out Ken films and had them shipped over in the early mid 80s. At the time they were selling various Ken cartoons, Heckle & Jeckle, Mighty Mouse, Spiderman etc in packs of Five for a tenor. And 400ft releases at £16 pounds or three for £32.

Also in late 80s they found some old stock of a large quantity of Universal film titles that they where also selling for bargain prices. Between 10 & 20 pounds for double or single 400ft cut downs.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2008 05:33 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like David said, although the prices are high, there are a couple of films on the list that I would be willing to spend good money for. But I don't want to send money all the way over there, and never hear from them again.

Incidently, a couple of items that I was going to order from them, while I was waiting for a response, I found used in excellent condition and in original boxes, so I saved a lot of money on those. Still there are one or two that I would still purchase, if only I can confirm that they are in business.

James.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2009 07:11 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update.....

Well, my curiosity finally got the best of me. I had to know. Is this a real business? Do they really sell brand new sealed prints of super 8 films that were produced decades ago?

So....

I e-mailed to the listed address, and waited.

A week later....What's this?? I've got mail. From "Films on Super 8"!

The mysterious person stated that they were in fact in business, almost implying 'what a silly question, why would one ask'. The mysterious person stated for me to list any titles desired, and he would confirm availability and how much in U.S. dollars.

Hmmm. Could still be a hoax. But maybe not. So...

I decided to take the risk, with a very small order of two 200 foot movies. The exchange rate was in my favor at the time, and, at worst, I would loose a few dollars. But NO CREDIT CARD NUMBERS! I'm not that trusting. So, I e-mailed the titles I wanted, and that I would be using the Western Union method.

So....

A few days later, I had another e-mail from "Films on Super 8". They had the titles. And now, THERE WAS A NAME! The mysterious person's name was stated as "Chris Williams". (Anybody know him?)

I was given a special code number, and instructed to respond to my local Western Union office and send the U.S. dollars to a person named "Kingsley Rowston" (Anybody know him?)

I was starting to get scared. Is this "Films on Super 8" just a front for some illigal activities? Am I already in too deep??

I did as the man asked. And waited....

About three weeks later, I came home from work. There was mail.......

..............TO BE CONTINUED NEXT WEEK................

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2009 07:36 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Chris Williams was the one I delt with when I brought my films from the website a while ago.
I paid via a bank cheque which I posted to him, and the films arrived about 2 weeks later.
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 24, 2009 08:04 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, is already a week...why you haven't continued your story?? ( [Big Grin] hehehhe... I am so eager to read the end of your story...)

James,

Two questions I'd like to know,

First, why you use Western Union which is (usually) uneconomical for a small order (in terms of charge) while he offers paypal for payment?

He charges only 5.5% from your total order. On the other hand, it is also safe for you (in case it is a scam) if you fund the payment through Credit Card.

Secondly, on the bottom of his page, he says "Free USPS Shipping on all USA orders", did you enjoy this advantage?

(ps: I have physically visited his place, but did not meet him. I reported that in other thread, so his shop do exist)

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 24, 2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have received replies from him. He certainly exists. I hope that perhaps this series of posts will perhaps make him come out in the open.

I think I'll contact him again.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2009 05:46 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys. It wasn't my original intention to drag this post out, but I was in a hurry the other night and just got back in town.

So......

And now the conclusion to "Films on Super 8: Reel or Not?"

So, I arrived home after work. My wife says "Oh, you got a wierd little package in the mail. Smells like vinegar or something".

[Embarrassed] Noooooooooo!

So, I follow my nose to the little jiffy envelope. It was so strong, I had to take it out to the back yard to open it (it was a nice sunny day anyway). So, I open the package and pull those poor little films out of the toxic bag, discarding the pungent packaging immediately.

There they were before me. Two, brand-new, plastic sealed prints. One, a digest of the Castle Films classic, "Man-Made Monster", starring Lon Chaney. The other, a Walton Pink Panther cartoon, "The Pink Tail Fly". At that moment, I no longer smelled the vinegar oder, and I flashed back to my childhood, when getting these sort of brand new package movies was a common occurrance. But, back to the problem at hand.

I had NEVER dealt with "vinegar syndrome" in all my 35 years of collecting. But, thanks to this forum, I was aware of its existance. I quickly peeled the plastic coverings from the boxes, opened them up, and let them air out a bit. I quickly realized that the CASTLE short, once separated from the other, had no odor at all. The vinegar smell was all from the Pink Panther short.

I then treated both films with a coating of Film Renew. I let both films sit out for the rest of the day. The next morning, I checked my babies. Man-Made Monster was fine now, and went back into its perfect little box. Pink Panther, however, still smelled like hot vinegar, and was relegated to stay in the back yard, like an unwanted pet.

My next course of action was to put Pink Panther on a metal spool, and completely immerse it in a bath of Film-Guard, and let it soak for a few days. After about a week, I clean and dried her (again), and let her air out for one more day. Alas, the vinegar smell was MUCH less than before, but still slightly present.

Finally, it was time to put my babies on a projector, to fulfill thier purpose in life. First, was the Pink Panther cartoon. What a beautiful print it is. That cool music blasting through my speakers. And the colors? They were just fine. Pink Panther are not the most colorful cartoons, but I didn't notice any fading at all. There was no warpage at all either. Just a perfect print (except the smell).

Next, was Man-Made Monster. A perfect print in every way. Nice black and white image, and good strong sound.

So, at the end of the day, "Monster" went up on the shelf, with my collection of 200 foot digests. Pink Panther, however, has a 'special shelf' to himself, for now anyway (at least we let him stay in the house now). But he will get plenty of showings, as long as he can hold out.

So, my take on "Films on Super 8".

Well, as the saying goes, "It is what it is". They promise new, sealed prints, for said price, and thats what you get. There's no guarantees of good colors or good smelling prints, just that they will be "new and sealed".

A couple of observations:

I did notice a small sticker on the back of the films that said "The Home Talkie Co.", so you were right David.

Another strange thing was that there was absolutely no paperwork or corespondence with the films at all. No receipt, no packing slip, no "Thanks for your order". Nothing. Just the films.

Also, I did email them back, thanking them for the order, letting them know I was satisfied with the films, but perhaps they should maybe separate the vinegar films from the good films at the store, and maybe let them get a little air. No response whatsoever. It seems they only respond when their waiting for the money.

So, I would say, if there's something on that extensive list that you've been wanting for a long time, go for it. Chances are you will get it. But just be aware that there might be vinegar or fading.

Now I'll take questions [Wink] .

James

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 27, 2009 09:18 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes James, I have a couple questions:

First, why you use Western Union which is (usually) uneconomical for a small order (in terms of charge) while he offers paypal for payment?

He charges only 5.5% from your total order. On the other hand, it is also safe for you (in case it is a scam) if you fund the payment through Credit Card.

Secondly, on the bottom of his page, he says "Free USPS Shipping on all USA orders", did you enjoy this advantage?

Thirdly, IS the PInk Panther from Walton or Italian print (AVO)?

Lastly, how rare is the "Man-Made Monster"? Haven't you checked Ebay?

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2009 09:49 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winburt- Sorry, I forgot to answer your questions from previous post.

About not using credit card-

I had a bad experience with using credit card with an unfamiliar company years back (a non-film purchase), where the exchange rate was exagerated, plus hidden fees, and I ended up paying too much for something. At least with Western Union, I know EXACTLY what I'm paying, and no more can be added. If I ever order from "Films on Super 8" again, I will probably use a credit card, since they seem to be what they say.

About free postage-

Yes. That was one small perk, and I was glad to have it! [Smile]

About e-bay-

Yes, Winbert, I know. In fact MOST of the films on the "Films on Super 8" site DO pop up on e-bay. And I have bought many of them from ebay, and some great deals, too. It was just the magic of getting a "new, sealed print", perfect box, etc. It was like I needed a "fix", of opening a fresh print, one that had never been through the gate of a projector before. I think I'm cured now.

At least until my next wave of insanity [Wink] .

James.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2009 02:53 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I just sent an Email off to "Films On Super 8" in Australia. He's listed the Barbarella three reeler I am looking for. Just wondering if anyone knows what lab the Marketing prints in Australia came from? All the three reelers from Germany look great while the American ones are faded. I'm hoping if I pay the high price he's asking the color will be good. I guess there's no guarantee though...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2009 03:29 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

The Marketing films that I purchased in Australia all seemed to be US prints. I cannot recall ever buying from this company (formerly Home Talkie Co) but I would imagine that they are US prints.

Would be good if he replied to your email.......I have never received a reply from mine.

David

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2012 07:00 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I've tried to go to their web site to see if they were still selling super 8 films, but it seems the web site is finally gone?? [Frown]

You would think they would have had a big sale to get rid of stock. Wonder what happened to all those poor films?

BTW-
Brian, did you ever get a response from them?

James.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2012 02:09 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think i've just ended up with about 40 of their reels. Almost all were sealed and containing the sticker "Australian National Distributor. The Home Talkie co. of America". A very nice guy was selling them on Ebay who just wanted to shift them and was sick of being asked about colour fade and vinegar smells etc. We chatted on the phone and he happily sold them at a price that even if 80 per cent had faded, I would still be breaking even. Unfortunately, three stank of vinegar and are currently having a lovely Film Guard bath. Almost all had faded, bar a handful. Fortunately, a Red Fox full length print of "Victor Victoria" was in excellent condition and as mentioned earlier, it's quite something putting a "new" print through a projector for its first showing.
Oh, I asked him where they came from. They were inside an old record player he'd bought!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2012 06:50 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Jonathan- Thats a great buy!

I wonder if it is actually the same business man who was running the Films on Super 8 website?

If so, what an incredibly odd way to sell off the films-

He listed the old film stock at unreasonably high prices for decades, never "fudging", or never even promoting the films, with a sale or something. Then, just selling the whole lump of them at one very low price???

Very odd. Maybe some things are never meant to be understood [Wink] .

James.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC