8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Scope lens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scope lens
Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2008 05:20 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
just bought a scope lens and bracket on Ebay.
I've been thinking about getting one for a while and I wonder if other members could tell me whether it involves an inordinate amount of 'farting about' to get good results? (yes I realise one of the joys of this hobby is 'farting about'!) [Big Grin]

In particular, can anyone give me guidance on:
1/ How close should the scope lens be to the projector lens?
2/ Is it a particular problem to get good focus?
3/ Am I limited to how much I can zoom in/out?

Thanx,
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted March 16, 2008 12:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Putting the lens right up against the prime (your normal) lens will only use a tiny amount of the glass in the anamorphic, particularly if you have purchased a commercial 35mm anamorphic like Chip Gelmini (and I) use. Move it forward until you find the point where it "vingettes" and you have dark corners, the move it back so the dark corners are gone, and then back just a little bit further. (Don't touch your zoom during this.)

2. Many anamorphic lenses can only focus down to a certain number of feet. That will depend on your particular lens.

3. Yes, see above.

4. To focus the lens, run the film out of frame so you can see a frameline on screen. Rack the anamorphic's astigmatism adjustment as far out of whack as you can so the image is super blurry. Now using the projector's focus knob, bring that horizontal frame line into perfect focus (your vertical lines will still look awful). At this point, without touching the projector's focus, adjust the astigmatism adjustment on the anamorphic so that the entire image is in focus. This procedure is focusing "through the lens" and will achieve a more accurate end result as opposed to going by the footage markings to set your astigmatism.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2008 05:17 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help Brad.
Just projected my first scope fim; the trailer to 'Zulu'.
Absolutely delighted with the results!

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2008 05:28 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you enjoyed the ZULU trailer Dave. It's great in scope don't you think? A good buy, yes? [Smile]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2008 11:50 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, definitely, its great.
Did I buy it off you?

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2008 01:22 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Dave. So glad your happy with it. It's a pity the full feature isn't available, but there you are, we all have our dreams.
Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2008 04:18 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until I discovered 35mm lenses there was no hope for me to have scope where I live. Before this forum, before the internet, and going back only 10 years or so, I didn't even know Derann existed. The only problem was how to mount such a large lens to a projector. For me, the answer was, you don't. I built a stand out of plywood and got the right parts to attach the lens to the v-box. Changing from flat to scope is as simple as sliding the vbox away from or in front of the flat lens. Cinemascope is great when you have it all set to go. As for this farting about the forum or hobby, heavens no...certainly not me........

Chip [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC