8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Single 8 Pre-Packaged films?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Single 8 Pre-Packaged films?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 20, 2008 05:50 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if any Single 8 Prepackaged films from Japan were ever produced? I was curious as I know the cameras they produced were fantastic.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 20, 2008 06:17 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan interesting topic, but while I`m here please can you drop me an email off my link above.
Thanks Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 22, 2008 05:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan

Single 8 and Super 8 are the same once they leave their cameras and are processed.

I had a potential seller of a Sankyo Super 8 sound projector who swore that the projector would accept standard (regular) 8 and when I called at his house to collect it I drew his attention to the box which was marked "Super 8/Single 8."

He told me that he had never heard of Single 8 and thought that it meant standard 8.

But, back to Japanese cameras. Fuji introduced Single-8 in 1966 with the Fujica P1 camera. As far as the film itself was concerned Super-8 and Single-8 were exactly the same dimensions (although Fuji stock was on the thinner polyester) so that a film shot on a Fuji Single-8 camera could be shown an any Super-8 projector.

I believe that today, although Kodak have stopped the sales of Kodachrome in Super-8 cartridges, Fuji are still continuing sales of Single-8 cartridges for those cameras which will accept them.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 22, 2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own 4 Single 8 Cameras. The Fujica ZC1000, the Canon 518SV and the P1 and the P2.
The P2 is the smallest movie camera I have seen and the results are good. Not GREAT but very good. I have shot a test roll of the other 3 and am awaiting results.
I was curious about Japan's Super 8/Single 8 prepackaged movie industry. If there ever was one. Does that mean the only countries that were making the prepackaged movies were the USA, Germany, Italy and the UK? It would seem that the Japanese would have liked to see films from Kurosawa, Ozu, etc.
Can you imaging the Seven Samurai on Super 8? [Smile]

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2008 04:55 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

there have been several Japanese companies to release digests, short cartoons/"animes" and some full length features on Super8 (which is the same as processed Single8 or Doublesuper8). One of those companies was Fuji. The ad for Fuji's star-wars-digests was posted some time ago on this forum. When you go to the "Japan"-section of the Super8wiki's FAQ you'll find some shops that still sell used prints. Yahoo Auctions Japan is also a good source for thos prints.

One of those pages:
http://www.geocities.jp/maru_ba99/page013.html
Translated with some online tool:
http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?hl=de&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://www .geocities.jp/maru_ba99/page013.html

quote:
"Maurice Leakey": I believe that today, although Kodak have stopped the sales of Kodachrome in Super-8 cartridges, Fuji are still continuing sales of Single-8 cartridges for those cameras which will accept them.
That's correct. Unfortunately Fuji has stopped the production of Single8-films last year. But they've produced tons of carts as a last batch and expect to able to sell both Fujichromes (R25N and RT200N) for the next years. (They expect to run out of RT200N next year, while the supply of R25N is expected to last until 2011 or longer. Processing and optional post-striping by Fuji is ensured at least until 2012. And when Fuji is out of stock, they'll decide whether to produce another batch or not.) Nevertheless Fuji isn't the only company to produce Single8-films: http://film.club.ne.jp/english/eng_cinevia.html
(Those films are also available in Europe:
http://www.ffr-film.de/index.php?page=single-8
http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/04_filmm/single-8.php )

Jörg

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2008 07:55 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating stuff; Thanks for posting that Joerg!

It might not be 'Seven Samurai, but those scope prints of 'Moonlight Mask' are very tempting (a bit pricey, though...)!

Any tips, Joerg, on how to navigate the Japanese Yahoo auction site (for non-Japanese speakers)

- Rob?

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2008 08:49 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Japanese shopping:
a) Get yourself the free "translator"-plug-in for the Firefox. Set it to "Google" and simply translate every Japanese page into English with one or two mouse-clicks [Wink]
b) There are some services that allow you to bid in Yahoo Auctions Japan as a Non-Japanese. The service will "forward" your money to the seller, the seller will ship it to the service's address in Japan, the service will then ship it to you (for a fee - of course [Wink] ). One of these services is Rinkya.com - but I never tried it or any of the other services! I only used it as a translation tool before getting the above plug-in.

Hope this helps,
Jörg

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 01, 2008 09:12 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is great information. Thanks everyone! It was just what I was looking for. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC