8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A question concerning a curious metal container ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question concerning a curious metal container ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 29, 2008 10:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recieved a print of "Check and Double Check" (Amos and Andy, 1930), Metro films 4X400 (just ten dollars, not bad), and the film was shipped in a box, and the film was contained in a thing called a ...

Filmador

In fact, the whole title of the thing is ..

Filmador (patent pending) Hugo Meyer and Co. N.Y. By the Bell and Howell Company (Chicago) Sole Distributors.

That's the whole title on this can.

It's quite nicely ordained on the top with a number of designs, as well as a "flower pattern", which seems to be designed to make holding onto the can easier, (that's just a guess).

You guys ever ran into one of these?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2008 02:22 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just reading about that the other day.

Like right now, there was a big movement in the 30's to get away from straight metal cans. Is this Filmador made of a kind of plastic or composite? The idea was to allow the film to breathe and not be sealed so much (get it, like thermidor...)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 30, 2008 01:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim ...

This must date from a good deal earlier then, as it is metal, AS WELL AS it states, "patent Pending" which means it was put into production and distributed before they actually had a patent on it, so I don't know how old it is, but I would bet that it is from the silent era.

The thing is, it holds up to 6 standard 8mm 400ft reels, but this may have been made for 16MM or even 35MM. I really don't know. The case is just under 600ft super 8 reels in diameter.

It is in incredible shape. The designs on the top look very vicroian in nature, (there was that whole look or style to victorian things, with a lot of flourishes to design). I bet it would polish up real nice. It's not dented or anything.

Quite a novelty.

Boy, just when you think you've pretty much seen what is out there, you find something else!

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2008 03:12 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the possibility of posting some photos?

(TIA)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2008 04:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I could find that darned cable for my digital camera, I might be able to do it.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC