8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ilford-Elmo TP-8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ilford-Elmo TP-8
Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone any experience of the Elmo TP-8 standard 8mm sound projector?

The lamp needs replacing, I can see it's 150w 21.5v but the writing on top of the lamp is so faded I can't find a code number for it.
Secondly, although the sound is excellent there is a problem I hope someone can help me resolve. On playing any film, after a few seconds a loop begins to form between the sprocket below the gate and the entrance to the sound head assembly. This loop continues to get bigger and bigger as the film progresses so the film is wildly out of sync.
There is a third sprocket before the take-up,that's ok as is the take up itself. The flywheel runs freely and the pinch wheel below the soundhead is doing its job. There is no wow or flutter in the sound.
So, any ideas anyone?
thanks,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 31, 2008 11:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal

Sorry I can't help about the loop problem. However, after trawling through a list of A1 projection lamps I can only find one which might be it.

A1/18:- 150w. 21.5v. G17q base. Burns horizontally. 81mm high. 39mm diameter.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2008 12:51 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like its obviously overfeeding.Wouls suiggest you investigate that all drive belts/chains etc in the back of the projector are all tight,and NOT floppy or contaminated with oil.I know the drive belt inside these machines are liable to play up and require maintaining.Hope this helps.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2008 01:43 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies.
Maurice that description fits the lamp perfectly, so thank you for the info.

Barry, the m/c isn't mine, it was given to my friend so I'll ask him to check everything. The drive belt had almost perished when he first had it, but there was no problem with the loop. He has since replaced the belt with one of those hot-join pieces of belt which he now tells me has subsequently broken, so it appears you are probably on the right track, so again thank you.
regards,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC