8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bell & Howell DCR, DCM & DCT Projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell DCR, DCM & DCT Projectors
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2008 03:25 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been using my B & H DCR to go through a few Tom & Jerry cartoons. The example I have is literally mint having had extremely little use prior to me buying it. It came in the original box (always a good sign) with even the original B & H take-up reel in the original plastic bag. The projector runs smoothly giving superb steady images. I have also had a DCM (the next model up). These projectors were made for B & H by Sankyo. The top model was the DCT with had a 150w lamp as opposed to the 100w lamp and had dual track playback. Anyone else out there using one of the superb machines? Any comments?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Simon

I'm a bit of a Sankyo man myself so can understand why you find these re-badged projectors such a pleasure to use. I think the DCT with the 150w lamp is the equivavlent of the Sankyo 702. A very nice machine which, like all the Sankyos, is very kind to film.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2008 02:43 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon,

I've been a fan for many a year, and I've got a very nice DCT to go onto my new lists in a couple of weeks. I've always thought that the film pathway was very good on these machines, and the Bell & Howell's always have a nice steady picture.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 01, 2008 02:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon

I have a DCR and a DCT. As you say, they are very good projectors, although I don't notice much differance in the light output between the 100w and 150w lamps.

It's interesting to hear that they were made by Sankyo. I have the Sankyos 700, 702 and 800.

I was given the 702 by a previous owner who said "you can have this, it keeps blowing its lamps, perhaps you can do something with it."

It was in a 700 box with a 700 Instruction Book and the side cover said "700." But, the rear label said it was a 702 which of course uses the 150w (15v) lamp. It appeared that the owner had been putting in 100w (12v) lamps!

--------------------
Maurice

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2008 04:50 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My brother still has his DCR which he purchased new from Derann about 1981. Never given any problems and never even had a service. Very kind to film and very quiet running.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2008 05:57 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I just add that, although I do not possess either a Bell & Howell or Sankyo projector, I do have a Sankyo Auto 5X standard 8 cine camera. This is in continual use and is as mint as the day I bought it - which is longer ago than I care to remember.

The point I am making is that, despite also having two Super 8 Bauer cameras and a Krasnogorsk 16mm camera, the Sankyo still remains my firm favourite - even though you have to turn the film over half way through.

You're right, Mr B Johnson - if you're reading this! Standard 8 does rule ok!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC