8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "The Black Stallion" LPP???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "The Black Stallion" LPP???
Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2008 03:50 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a beautiful feature print of "The Black Stallion". It's a Red Fox release. It's no longer available to my knowledge. How limited is this superb classic film in Super Eight? Who else on the 8mm forum has this feature from Derann? I treasure this film. I probably will let it go at some point. My print is on unmarked LPP. The quality is really superb!!! When the time comes it will be very painful to part with!!! I have three 16mm print's of this title though that need some work.

Thank's,

--Tom

[ April 02, 2008, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Tom A. Pennock ]

|  IP: Logged

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2008 02:35 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Derann/Red Fox release must be rare since I received no postings on this topic. I wonder how limited?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 03, 2008 10:49 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom
It would be at least 10 years since I had the chance to watch this feature on Super8 only had it a few days as I sent it back due to a poor soundtrack no idea who printed it, but apart from the sound it was a nice print. I picked up a 16mm print about the same time which was much better and still have it, an excellent film with a good cast Mickey Rooney was in his element and with much of this film shot in Sardinia it looked great. I understand the film recieved an Oscar for sound editing, attaching a microphone to the underside of the racehorse to great effect, I also have it on 35mm as well.

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 03, 2008 11:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are definitely right. I saw an old Red Fox catalog with this title listed. I never heard of anyone owning or seeing it until now.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2008 12:34 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's Graham and for your comment's Osi!

I have the original box from Derann and I think Derek printed this title up on Super Eight. It was a Red Fox release through Derann. I can't remember when I bought my print. It's on unmarked LPP and my soundtrack is great. I am going to show this outside in June. Invite the neighbor's. It is a beautiful film indeed. One of my 16mm prints is on eastman. The other two on LPP. But ALL need some repair. This is my last Super Eight feature and then I will concentrate on 16mm format. Yes, Mickey Rooney's performance earned him an oscar nomination for best supporting actor. Was not aware of the award for sound. The cinematography by Caleb Deschanel ASC is superb. I was very disappointed in the sequel from 1983.I would not be surprised if only 50 print's were struck of this 1979 version if that many. Wonderful entertainment when there were G rated film's out there being released. Great you have it on 35mm. I also like the Carmine Coppola film score!!!

Best, Tom [Smile]

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2008 01:10 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everyone:

I forgot to ask what the re-sale value of this print would be? This is MINT and on unmarked LPP "low fade" stock. If it is indeed this limited it should be worth quite a bit in MINT condition.

--Tom

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 05, 2008 04:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

You may have good luck on ebay, if you have a high enough (but not too high) starting bid on this.

Of course, it all comes down to demand. Even a low starting bid doesn't mean spit if no one wants it.

I'm betting that this one will go overe well, (that is, if ebay is your route.).

--------------------

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2008 10:27 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's Osi:

I am going to have an outdoor movie of this film in June. I am going to project it on the side of our garage. Then I probably will sell it. It would be my last magnetic Super Eight feature left.

Best, Tom

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 07, 2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm ...

Hey everybody out there in "8mm forum land" ....

Will Tom find himself starting to collect the occasional Super 8 feature again?

To quote that master thespian, Bug's Bunny ...

"Eh, could be!"

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 07, 2008 06:37 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know when your selling it as I might well be interested [Smile] How do you know it's LPP if it's unmarked? I have never heard of an unmarked LPP.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2008 08:26 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev:

It's quite common in 16mm to come across prints that are LPP and unmarked after 1983. This print I assume is LPP in Super Eight because of no markings. I could be wrong but IMHO I kind of think it is.

Osi:

It will be very painful to sell the Super Eight print of "The Black Stallion" but I do have the other print's in 16mm which I need to repair and work on. Whether or not I can stay out of Super Eight in the future is anyone's guess. [Smile]

--Tom

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 09, 2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh,

He'll be back!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC