8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Beatles "Hello Goodbye" on Super 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beatles "Hello Goodbye" on Super 8?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 07, 2008 06:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that "Back in the USSR" and "Hey Jude" were released on Super 8mm. Was "Hello, Goodbye" ever released on Super 8mm?

It would make an excellent title, as "Hey Jude" and other Super 8 Beatle releases were taken from film copies of video, but "Hello Goodbye" was a 35MM film production, so I'd love to find this as a Super 8 release!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2008 10:34 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Back in the USSR" was never made into a promo film by the Beatles... so it there couldn't be a super 8 release. There was of course Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane that were only released in god awful black and white prints in the 70's.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 07, 2008 11:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to correct you on "Back in the USSR", but I remember seeing a print on Super 8 on the UK lists once a year or so ago.
It was probably a video performance that was transferred to film and then to Super 8, but I'm betting the quality was horrible. I remember that "Hey Jude (from the David Frost show) was only marginal.

--------------------

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2008 06:07 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - I'm not questioning you saw it listed I just don't know what it could have been. I have a close connection with Yoko Ono here in New York and work with her on the Lennon/Beatles re-issue projects so I am a bit of an expert. I know they never performed Back in the USSR on film. Maybe someone just put together a film montage to the track. I'd like to see the film myself!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 08, 2008 10:04 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So would I, if i see a copy of it again, I'll let you know right away as, if I don't win it, you probably would.

OSI

--------------------

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2008 02:10 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Osi - I'm not questioning you saw it listed I just don't know what it could have been. I have a close connection with Yoko Ono here in New York and work with her on the Lennon/Beatles re-issue projects so I am a bit of an expert."

Is it true that there's literally millions of feet of John and Yoko super 8 sound stuff that they shot throughout the 70's? Somewhere I read years ago that they were responsible for a sizeable daily percentage of the Kodak Rochester processing plant's output during those years.

I knew someone who worked on Imagine, and the super 8 film that they had-- practically under guard-- was totally amazing, but that the producers of the film didn't have the sense to use it.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 11, 2008 03:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have LET IT BE (1970) on Super 8, it's about 100 feet, the colour has now faded but the sound is superb. Yoko is there as well.

I believe it may have been a Derann release.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 11, 2008 11:24 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are various Beatles related "bootleg" Super 8's out there, but after the bad quality of "Hey Jude", I swore them off, un less they were put out by reputable companies.

There was a print of "Hello Goodbye" on original 35MM film, but the price was outrageously high, so I didn't bother with it. The auction did say that there was some fade to it as well.

If I was to ever find a good copy of "Hello Goodbye" on 35MM again, (and I could afford it) AND with good color ...

I'd zip it off to Derann, as I'm sure that they would release it as a "music video" single!

--------------------

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2008 11:49 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy on 16mm of Back in the USSR. which is made of a montage of the beatles arriving and leaving on planes while on tour.

On another note the Washington DC concert (2x400ft) was released by various companies on Super 8 in the 70s early 80s. But can anyone tell me who produced the better quality ones?

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2008 12:52 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the footage John and Yoko shot in the 70's was 16mm -photographed with Bolex cameras. They used super 8 as well, but not as much. Yoko had made lots of avant-garde films before John, and thankfully encouraged recording everything on film. So your story about them almost supporting the Kodak plant may have been true! The super 8 stuff was more personal home movies that, if memory serves, Yoko didn't want over-used in the 1988 Imagine documentary.

If you want to see something really cool, check out the original "Imagine" movie from 1971 which was basically a long promo film for John's album and Yoko's LP "Fly" and you'll see how ahead of their time they were mixing film with music. Yoko's old friend, filmmaker Jonas Mekas, helped make a great high speed super 8 montage of a party they attended with other stars including Warhol, Miles Davis, and others that is outstanding. I want to get Yoko to release that film uncut on DVD on its 40th anniversary in a couple years since there's only an old out-of-print laser disc around that was edited a bit.

And, yes, that old Let It Be clip with the Beatles and Yoko in the studio was put out by Derann. It's a slightly different edit than the way it appeared in the feature film so I'm assuming it was made as a promo clip back when the album came out. It's great Derann released it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC