8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Hawk the Slayer, who put it out on Super 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hawk the Slayer, who put it out on Super 8?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 09, 2008 05:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming that some UK Super 8mm film supplier got it out on Super 8, as it is a UK film release in the first place, but that doesn't necessarily follow.

Any info chaps?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 09, 2008 05:35 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi Derann a 3 reeler and the full feature and believe you me the 3 reeler digest is enough. Saying that an OK print, usually in good condition for lack of viewing reasons, and usually on kodak LPP, I think they all were.
I`ve only had the 3 reeler and the first 20 mins is OK, but the last 10 are just naff, but the musical intro is catchey.
Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 09, 2008 07:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodie, as I have the edited version.

You said three reeler? Does this mean a three reeler as in 3X400, or as in thirty minutes. This one I have coming is a 30 minute version, I believe, (well, it's on a 600ft reel.)

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2008 03:29 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly... sometime around 1981/82 Derann put out an appeal to find out which title of several they listed collectors would prefer to see released. 'Hawk the Slayer' got the most votes.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 10, 2008 10:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a curious film. Now, I've never actually seen it, but it sounds like the mindless kind of stuff I'd enjoy.

It seems somewhat rare these days, as I don't think I've seen any copies on even the Derann used lists; at least not for a long time, (or since I can remember.)

Though, there must have been a number of prints, if it was the popular pick (for Derann)

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 11, 2008 06:22 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a release that caused some problems due to the derision the film received - I'm sure I recall Derek saying that it damaged Derann's ability to put out further ITC releases. I think the fundamental problem was that when the questionnaire went out, a lot of people (and I admit to being one of them) voted for it because we liked the idea of a colourful sword and sorcery type film appearing on 8. The trouble was that most of us hadn't actually seen it so had not fully realised that it was one of the worst films of this type. It certainly wasn't Derann's fault. I only watched the 600' a couple of times, although I still have the trailer, which is probaly the ideal version of the film!

It's a shame that the Disney deal did not result in the Disney/Paramount production 'Dragonslayer' coming out; a very good film that would have made an impressive scope feature.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2008 03:04 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must come to the defence of this lovely cheesey little film, it was made on a shoestring (if you look carefully in some scenes you can see them), they cast the scene chewing Jack Palance as the baddie (his OTT performance is amazingingly bad, just what the role called for), and a host of British character actors to boot. The lead was that well known U.S. actor John Terry (now does anyone else know a film he has been in since) as the lead, and amazingly inventive special effects (they had to be on the budget for his film), but let's not forget the script, which seemed to be turned out by 2 left handed monkies. Now after my thoughts on this film you might think I really hated it, but it's the total reverse, as this is one of those films, where it's SO BAD it's really GOOD as you know that you're not watching the best film ever made (far from it), but it does exactly what it says on the tin, it entertains, perhaps not exactly as the producer and director intended, but it ambles along nicely, and who can forget the late Bernard Bresslaw as the 'Giant'.

Oh and by the way, I am a proud owner of a F/L 8mm print too!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2008 05:46 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOW I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS!!!

How about bringing your print along to the convention Barry??? I think we'll have a captive audience after your great review!!!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 12, 2008 09:34 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was the previous owner of the copy that Mr. Osi will be receiving. (Shipped yesteday sir!)
I have to say the print quality is excellent. No fade, great colors, good sharpness too!
The film had me laughing even though it was supposed to be serious! Like a very cheesy pre-Lord of the Rings. Dwarves, giants, and of course.. Jack Palance.
It really is so bad that its kind of good. But...not good enough for me to keep. Or shall I say....not bad enough for me to keep!
I can't imagine having to sit through the feature. :0

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 12, 2008 01:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, the delicious cheese factor!

... and, at 30 (or so) minutes, (as that is what I'm assuming the running time of this 600ft is, eh Rik?), if you watch this whole thing, and find that it's a waste of time, your not shaking your head and saying, "Egad! 90 minutes of my life blown all to heck!", no, you only blew 30 minutes, a great savings of blown time!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC