8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Deterioration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Deterioration
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2008 04:50 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been going through a few old Technofilm cartoons. On one, I noticed a kind of breakdown of the back surface of the film. Almost a very slightly moist effect. It's like the film may have been damp, or stored in a damp place, resulting in small parts of the film going like this. Fortunately, such problems are only present in the first minute or so of the print, and in the rest, colour and sharpness are fine. I'm sure, however, that these problem areas get worse every time I view. My question is this; how do I remove this? Film Cleaner? Anyone else had this?

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 11, 2008 05:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I never ran into that Simon. Where was the film at? Moist or dry environment?

Curious

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2008 05:23 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I purchased it...I think it looks like it's been somewhere a bit damp.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2008 06:42 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you buff it off? It might be one of the hundreds of "film treatments" that were popular to lubricate new prints. Sound like a little too much but I doubt moisture which would have lead to mold on the emulsion. In the olden times, Kodak would lacquer Kodachrome coming off the processing machine and sometimes moldy film could be saved by removing and re-lacquering the film. This wasn't done on release prints or Eastman positive or any of it's competitors (Fuji, Agfa, Gevacolor, Owrocolor, etc).

John

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2008 04:38 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having tried to clean this substance off the film I found it all came off leaving nearly clear film! I used proper and known quality film cleaner. It's as if the whole film is breaking down as it also tears quite easily. Fortunately, as I said, it's only right at the beginning of the film!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 18, 2008 08:26 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
While I worked at Ilford Films here in the UK I had seen b/w film where the gelatin had been attacked by a fungus.
This tended to be caused by damp conditions and there isnt really too much you can do about.

It sounds like the same problem you have here.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC