8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Getting garbled sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting garbled sound
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2008 07:35 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting garbled sound on my sound bell and howell I can hear the sound but all films I run have this problem can some here help or offer a solution, thanks

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 19, 2008 09:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim

Is your B & H an auto-threader? If so, have you released the auto setting by gently pulling on the film where it exits the projector.

Many years ago there was a ring at my door bell, "Hi, I believe you know about film projectors, I'm just down the road in the Church Hall with a borrowed projector, We're having terrible trouble. Can you help please?"

A few minutes later I met a TQIII sitting on a table, already laced up. Yes, the auto thread was still in position. A quick pull. "Now try it!"

It ran perfectly. I got a round of applause, a cup of tea, and, a biscuit.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 19, 2008 10:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your getting garbled sound, take the marbles out of your mouth.

(I tried to give Buddy hackett the same advice, but he didn't listen)]

OSI, the ever helpful!

Could it be too much vibration near the sound heads, and, if so, what is causing the excessive "bounce"? A loose pulley?
The plastic piece that loops the the film down into the sound heads, does it hang loose, (and not in a sixties way!) or a little looser than it should?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2008 08:17 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice I can try what you mentioned it is an auto threader Osi I will have to look into that the sound is not even understandable it is just noise coming from it I looked closely at the sound head and there is a small black piece that comes down that presses on the main soundtrack that seems to be fine unless it is not enough or to much I cleaned the head also thinking it was dirty but that did not help I will try those and get back to you guys thanks.

--------------------
jim schrader

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 20, 2008 01:44 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

This may sound like a silly question, but how long has it been since you got in thier and cleaned the sound heads?

Also, does your projector have what I shall call, "The Guard", that is, the metal (usually) that covers the sound head assembly? This is what keeps the film from sliding out from under the sound heads. If you don't have that type of thing on your sound heads, perhaps this could be the problem.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 20, 2008 06:50 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
A common problem on the 16mm B&H projectors is the two rollers sticking either side of the sound drum. The two rollers are sprung to keep the correct tension round the drum.
What happens is the grease goes hard on the shafts over the years and these two items stop moving up and down with the result the film runs slack round the drum causing just the sound you describe.
The only way to cure the problem is to strip those items down, clean and re-lube and all will return back to normal.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2008 07:59 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry kev I should have mentioned this is a super 8 sound B&H sorry

--------------------
jim schrader

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 20, 2008 08:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Sounds like it could be something similar though. Check the pressure down onto the heads is ok and that the film is not slipping through the capstan. Also make sure the capstan is turning freely and that it's surface which the film runs on is clean. Also make sure the pressure roller which hold the film against the capstan is clean and free turning.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2008 07:48 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemaen I am not sure what I did I recleaned the path way again today and tried a sound film and it worked fine go figure [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
jim schrader

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 21, 2008 08:46 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just simply posting on this Forum can fix projectors! What an amazing site! [Big Grin]

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 21, 2008 09:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had trouble with my ST-800 a couple of months ago where some foreign object wedged between the rod going out to the sound pressure pad and its cam on the selector knob. It kept the pad from pressing the film down on the heads and the sound was garbled.

I extracted it and all went back to normal. Basically with the obstruction in there the heads were permanently raised in threading mode.

-would have been just the same if it simply fell out without me finding it....

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC