8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Vu-meters / GS 1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vu-meters / GS 1200
Jean-Philippe Rolland
Junior

- posted April 21, 2008 08:44 AM      Profile for Jean-Philippe Rolland   Email Jean-Philippe Rolland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear All,

I am experiencing some troubles with the left vu-meters on my GS 1200 machines. The needles do not come back to 0 when the projectors are at rest. On one of the 2 machines it is near 0 and on the other one, it is halfway on the dial.
I wonder if I shall put some cleanser for electronic contacts on the coils.

I am at a loss and would welcome, once more, advice and guide lines.

Thank you very much

Have a nice week

Jean-Philippe

--------------------
Jean-Philippe

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 21, 2008 09:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
If you turn the machine off and leave it for a while does it slowly go back?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Philippe Rolland
Junior

- posted April 21, 2008 09:21 AM      Profile for Jean-Philippe Rolland   Email Jean-Philippe Rolland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Kevin,

On the Xenon machine it goes back slowly but not to 0, on the other one it stays halfway whether the projector is on or off.

Many thanks

JP

--------------------
Jean-Philippe

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 21, 2008 03:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this might sound daft but with the machine running but the machine in and out of record mode a few times. I have seen some peculiar things happen with the meters due to dirty record switch contacts.
It may be with the one that stays in the middle may need a clean internally.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 21, 2008 10:25 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi JP,

I dont have GS1200 but my reel to reel recorders which has VU meters does have a fine tune adjustment for the meter located near the needle. However, we have to open the cover first. Don't you think your GS has also that adjustment set?\

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Philippe Rolland
Junior

- posted April 22, 2008 05:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Philippe Rolland   Email Jean-Philippe Rolland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Both,

Thank you for the tips. I'll follow Kevin's advice first and will put the the machine running in and out of record mode a few times. I don't know if I am skilful enough to clean the vu-meter. I don't even know how to remove the front cover. By the way what product would you recommend to do so ? I am not sure about an adjustment set but I'll see when I have removed the cover.

Many, many thanks

JP

--------------------
Jean-Philippe

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 22, 2008 10:07 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
JP, This is mainly to cure the one which is going back slowly but still worth trying on the other.
I have found before that a meter which takes along time to go back is due to a charged up capacitor because the circuit is not quite as it should be due to dirty contacts on the switches.

I do fear that on the stuck one it maybe the meter. Does it still operate but only ever go back to that higher position?

Kev.

--------------------

Jean-Philippe Rolland
Junior

- posted April 22, 2008 12:17 PM      Profile for Jean-Philippe Rolland   Email Jean-Philippe Rolland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Kevin,

I am afraid the one that stays halfway does not operate any longer. I found a nice 1200, in a pristine state in thrifty shop 450 euros. It is worth the price isn't it ?

Thank you and have a nice evening

JP

--------------------
Jean-Philippe

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 23, 2008 05:12 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a very good price to me if it's for a GS1200 and not an ST1200?

Those meters I think are still available from Elmo as I bought a couple about a year a go. If you can find someone to help you get the meter out then I'm sure you will be able to open it and revive it. Sounds like it has just got stuck.

Kev.

--------------------

Jean-Philippe Rolland
Junior

- posted April 23, 2008 05:14 AM      Profile for Jean-Philippe Rolland   Email Jean-Philippe Rolland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A GS 1200 halogen. Not the Xenon version...

Have a nice afternoon Kevin

Jean-Philippe

--------------------
Jean-Philippe

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 23, 2008 06:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
A very good price [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2008 03:51 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats interesting Kev. What else do Elmo still sell for the GS1200 if anything. Until I looked at their website today, I didnt realise Elmo was still going.

I wonder if they have a box of motors and green guides hidden in a dark celler that hasnt been touched for 20 years.

Graham S

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 23, 2008 05:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thoughts Graham. Yes last year I sent an email to our local Elmo distributor here in the UK for 2 spare meters, 4 Switched speaker sockets and a Xenon lamphouse heat filter for the GS and they were all still available. I did at the same time enquire about a spare reflector for the Xenon but alas that is no longer available.
It would seem as one would expect that the less common spares are still there in Japan but certainly not the parts that wear.

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC