8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo GS-1200 bulbs - definitive information?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo GS-1200 bulbs - definitive information?
Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2008 01:56 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to imagine that in spite of a great many GS-1200s in use around the world that the ESC lamp appears to be gone forever. Now I find that the optical sound exciter lamp (BRS) has also been delisted.

With my last lamp now in use, I've tried shopping online only to find that websites listing stock are actually not able to get any. The exception is www.donsbulbs.com, which is fine if you want to pay $144 for one, or $210 for three. I don't.

So I just want to verify that y'all are using EJLs as a substitute. Or are still going through old stock, and the end is nearing.

What other words of wisdom might you add about the current state of bulb affairs?

I hate to post another topic about this, but that seemed preferable to digging up others that were years old and at least partly out-of-date.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 22, 2008 03:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill forget those high priced ESC lamps. Just about all the GS owners here are using the low priced 200watt 24 volt EJL lamps, which you can get from Top Bulb for about $18.00.

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Description.asp?intProductID=43874

They also stock the BRS exciter lamp at the ridiculous price of $1.99!

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Description.asp?intProductID=43217
Don't be tempted to use the 250W ELC. It's unlikely to provide more light, and it could wipe out the transformer on the GS1200.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2008 10:57 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bulb Source has them for $12 and they accept paypal.

http://www.bulb-source.com/EHBthruEKN.htm

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2008 05:06 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff, gentlemen, thank you. Chambless does even better at $9.74.

By the way, Wiko/Eiko's customer service rep emailed me back a recommendation to use the EKX. Strangely enough, I can't see any difference between the EKX and the universally recommended EJL bulb, which use the same CC6 filament. ...unless it's the dappled reflector to diffuse over a wider area for microfilm usage (and I don't know if that's accurate information). The rep confirmed that these bulbs appear to him to be identical.

In any case, I'm glad to have this cleared up. Perhaps in the future this will help other unsuspecting folk when they find that Elmo bulbs are not to be had.

[ May 03, 2008, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Bill Brandenstein ]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 23, 2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting couple of links, Bill. I note that the filament arrangement given for the ESC is incorrect. But what I did find interesting is that the website says they have approx. 122 in stock.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 23, 2008 07:13 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, if you keep using 250 watt bulbs in a 200watt capacity projector, the end may be near. [Eek!]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2008 10:33 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No fears, Dan -- only 200 watters in this machine.

Although I wish I were an electrician. That power supply mod would be cool.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 24, 2008 03:30 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill
Up to last year I was using a Thorn EJL 200watt I was not happy with the light output from that lamp, so converted the GS1200 to a two bladed shutter, and built an external power supply to run a Osram Xenophot ELC 250watt lamp which in itself is about 15% brighter than the normal ELC. because the power supply was built from an old Green B/H 16mm I could still use the old B/H lamp switch for low and high positions all this work has payed of and on screen it looks good, its a pity there are not brighter lamps than the EJL that you could use to give a much brighter picture for those 200 watts.

Graham.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 24, 2008 05:11 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

What is the OK price for an ESC? I might have some NOS here if I try.

Please tell me what the brands are higly sought.

cheers,

winbert

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 24, 2008 08:42 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an expert on brands but if someone manufactured genuine new ESCs today, I expect the price would be over $50.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2008 11:51 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good selection of EJL bulbs

http://www.bulbdirect.com/search/text_search.php?search=ejl&page=1

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 25, 2008 09:47 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which is the best brand (brightest) EJL to get?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 25, 2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to consider looking at the choice in EJL lamps is that it might be better to go for the more expensive one, this is because of better reflector quality and more accurate alinement of the filament.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 25, 2008 07:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Graham. I have purchased some EJL bulbs which came with a greenish tinge to the reflector. Can't be good for screen brightness and color temperature.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2008 10:23 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at the figures quoted for Bulb Life, that will explain a bit about the price.

EJL Bulbs

This is the best price I have found - but some bulbs may be a better buy if they last longer.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 27, 2008 12:54 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any manufacturer supply the EJL with the faceted mirror type reflector (lots of little flat mirrors)?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2008 11:30 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, are you referring to the reflector type shown in the EKX link above?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC