8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon Sound 7500

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon Sound 7500
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 23, 2008 10:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the chance of a Super 8 Chinon Sound 7500.

Does a Forum member own one? If so, perhaps we could hear their impressions.

Good, or bad!

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2008 01:15 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,i don't own one but can give you my Frank Spencer impression!!!! Sorry couldn't resist best Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 23, 2008 01:58 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I wouldn`t buy it personally Maurice, you have much much better stuff, they can be oK if you have nothing else as a get you by but once the scratching gets going if they had use its grim and works its way further in to the picture.
Very plasticy and not so good really, just my feelings.
Best Mark.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2008 03:54 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I bought my CHINON 7500 new in 1979, and still use it now and again. A very good machine that has always been gentle on my film. I haven't had the scratching problem that Mark has. I don't use it much simply because of the 600' reel limit, but the sound system is really good, especially if you use it to layer in soundtracks. My personal impression is that it is a good machine, IF you get it at a good price. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 23, 2008 04:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to go off topic, but are there any Non-British Forum members that got Mark's "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" reference? Here's a very funny clip.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 24, 2008 02:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark M. Thanks for your offer, but don't call us!

Mark T. What causes the scratching? Surely any plastic parts would be relieved in the picture area, as are metal parts?

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 24, 2008 04:12 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice the inlet/under sprocket shue/shute is quite soft plastic, ok for so long, but once they get past a point they go quickly. There can be odd other issues as well and the picture isn`t usually that steady compared to other machines.
They are usually reliable-ish but I wouldn`t say that nice to use etc compared to many machines you have already.
Joe`s sounds good and probably as not used so much, if its free or £20/£30 maybe worth a go if you fancy filling another shelf, myself I`d rather put it towards something else but they are`nt a bad machine as such. But !!!!
Not 100% sure on the front gate pressure plate is it plastic Joe???
Some on chinons are and wear and can burr into the pitcure area if you will.
Best Mark.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2008 05:35 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first projector was a Chinon 7500, I had that for nearly 4 years before upgrading, and I never had any problems, mine never scratched, and I found it very reliable, and it has the handy 15v 150w lamp. I did buy mine from new, so it was always well looked after, yes the pathway is plastic, but most machines have plastic pathways, one way or another. I think it's down to luck, if you find a projector thats been looked after, then this is quite a reliable machine, it's all according what you want from the machine after all.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2008 06:08 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the late seventies, Derann stopped renting films from their film library to owners of the Chinnon SP 330 due to their habit of scratching films. I think the problem was specific to that machine.

Chinnon responded via a letter to Movie Maker Magazine, their argument was that the gate was built to such high tolerances that any film that varied in width beyond those tolerances would “bow” as it passed through the gate and was then vulnerable to scratching. It transpired that the gate wasn’t side sprung which was why it wasn’t tolerant of variations in width.

The problem only presented itself with Package movies, camera film stock it seemed was slit more accurately.

As I said above, I think this was specific to the SP 330 but obviously wasn’t good for Chinnons reputation…

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 24, 2008 08:59 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a chinon 330 that was side sprung so they must have modified them afer that. But the front gate on that model was definately plastic and not so good plastic either so wore very quickly with splaying at the edges if you will,there was a poor feel to the whole gate set up etc.
I think as with a few budget makes, fine if just used until now for the odd home movie etc, but if from a real films watcher beware big time.

Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC