8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My Hero Leon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Hero Leon
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I arrived home from work to a strange message on my answering machine - it was a booming soundtrack from a film... then after a few seconds came a familiar voice saying, "That's your GS and the sound is working!" It was Leon Norris who for the last five months has been working on my GS1200 after the sound started popping, then humming, then giving out all together. A couple weeks go he left another message that he had given up and was just going to send it back to me... but he decided to give it one more try and whatever he did worked! So by next week I will have my GS1200 back home. It's been a long five months, and although I love my ST800 that has been filling the void, it's just not the same thing. I am so thrilled!!!

I want to give a nice plug to Leon... there may be quicker repair places out there - but I doubt none work with the same care and devotion as Leon. We're lucky to have someone like him there when we need him. Now as long as my GS makes it home safely during shipping, all will be well in my super 8 world again...finally!

|  IP: Logged

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2008 11:41 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon is da Man !

I was fortunate that the seller of my first GS1200 was very close to Leon and agreed to take it to him to inspect prior to purchase. He also tuned it up after I purchased it and shipped it out.

I send my projector to Leon if I dont want to work on it myself - as far as I know he is the only one with an inventory of original parts from Elmo.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 25, 2008 12:17 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad that you finally have a working GS! [Smile]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2008 03:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like Leon is the Bill Parsons of the Americas! Well done Leon.

Now all we need is a Parsons equivalent in the Antipodes for worldwide coverage.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 25, 2008 05:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, do you know what caused that problem? Great to hear it's at long last sorted.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2008 06:33 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin - He said he practically rebuilt the whole sound board. Honestly I start to glaze over when he goes into details and I can't retain the information. I know he had to order transistors and maybe some other things and said it took many hours to trace where the problems were stemming from since he doesn't really have high-tech audio equipment. When he sends the receipt with the projector he usually writes exactly what he fixed so I'll report back when it arrives.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2008 07:01 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you deserved a little good news after the shipping disaster with the other GS. So you soon will be using the "Brontoscope" lens with a GS after all!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 25, 2008 07:38 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shipping Disaster?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 25, 2008 09:28 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leon is definately Mr. Elmo USA. He never fails to offer guidance and suggestions on GS repairs, and he has a great stock of spare parts. Above all, Leon is a GS1200 enthusiast and avid film collector. He loves running the GS (he has a Xenon) just as much as working on them. I wish we could get him to post on this forum.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC