8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Tadley Big Screentime

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tadley Big Screentime
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 25, 2008 03:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff Wheeler presented his 32nd "Big Screentime" at the William Penney Theatre, AWRE, Tadley, Hampshire on Saturday 19th April 2008, with dealers' tables, Bring & Buy, Raffle, refreshments from the bar, and big screen presentations on 16mm, Super 8 and Video.

There were the usual dealers and sellers although one of the countries best-known dealers was not in attendance due to ill health. Another usual seller of all things 9.5mm did not have a table this time. Another well-known dealer, who did not have a selling table, was seen purchasing, obviously to swell his super stocks of film.

I chatted at the Buckingham Film Services table and Tony Reypert told me that he has a waiting list for the Buckingham Elf 9.5mm sound projector. I said that perhaps the supply of suitable films could be a problem and he assured me that he always has plenty for sale. I bought a nice Bell & Howell 606H from him, this is the classic standard 8 from around 1955. It has a mains (240v) 500 watt lamp and is all gear driven, thus no belts to break or replace.

I bought a number of films, two of special interest were a Super 8 Universal 8 200' issue of "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century", this appears to be an extra long cinema trailer as it finishes with "Buck Rogers - Coming Soon." The other was a 16mm feature "Song of the Open Road" [1944]. This was Jane Powell's first film and W.C.Fields' last, also starring Edgar Bergen with Charlie McCarthy.

Geoff says that regretfully he has decided to cancel any further OCTOBER "Big Screentime" Presentations but will continue with the April Convention for the foreseeable future.

The next presentation will be on Saturday 18th April 2009, so put this date in your diary.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2008 03:45 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great report Maurice, thank you. It’s a shame there wasn’t a heads up on the forum before the event as I would certainly have gone as it’s (relatively) local to me and having been before I know what a friendly little show it is. I guess I need to make more of an effort to put these dates on my calendar… [Roll Eyes]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 25, 2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same way Mike. I was able to attend Tadley a couple of years ago and found it to be a very friendly little venue. UK collectors need to support this meeting so that Geoff will keep it going.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2008 09:35 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here,I would have attended last Saturday if I had known that the Tadley show was on then,I usually get the dates from the BFCC website but they weren't there for this years event,shame as I attended both shows last year and they were both excellent.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2008 03:28 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my fault! I'd forgotten to keep that page updated. As soon as I saw this thread I realized I'd neglected the other film collector events page, pulled out a Derann newsletter and updated it.

Perhaps in future people could hassle me with events worth sticking up there???

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2008 05:40 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
Just to remind you, there is a minor event taking place in Ealing on the 24th May. [Smile]
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2008 04:05 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheeky bvgger!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2008 09:50 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the third time today I've been called a cheeky bvgger!!

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC