8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Damaged Film/Focus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Damaged Film/Focus
Brian Collins
Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2008 05:14 AM      Profile for Brian Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did write in about damaged sprocket holes on some film causing me problems with going in and out of focus on my S810 but have solved this problem by using a Bolex M8 projector as the pressure plate is at the rear of the gate and is giving perfect focus regardless of the damage,the only thing is that I find the speed control is very critical, has anyone else had the same problem?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 25, 2008 09:19 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rear sprung gate is the perfect design. This is particularly true for striped sound film, where the variation in thickness of the stripe can really screw up accurate focus when using fast f1.0 lenses. Why Elmo and Eumig, and just about everybody else, stuck with the front sprung gate is a mystery.
I have a Bolex 18-5 silent 8mm projector, which is also rear sprung. The focus is always dead flat across the picture- and it stays that way. With the Elmo GS1200 and the f1.0 lens, you spend the whole reel trying to keep the focus.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 25, 2008 03:25 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I love my Schneider-Kreuznach f1,2 lens. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC