8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ALIEN 200ft. edition plus cassette?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ALIEN 200ft. edition plus cassette?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 27, 2008 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I saw, (verified) that, as of this Sunday, with five hours to go, there is a copy of ALIEN, 200ft edition, Super 8mm color, with an audio cassette for the sound. It's complete.
Note, it's on American ebay, super 8 listing. (it's twelve noon, so it ends at approximetely 5 p.m. today.)

My question for those who have had these 200 ft super 8 editions with the cassettes, were these cassettes in stereo?
If they were, a savvy collector could synch it onto the film, as I believe, though silent, they had sound stripe on the films already, just no sound with a cassette.

The film is already up to a little over 40.00 dollars as of this time.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 27, 2008 02:02 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, the sound is already on the mag track.
The one I have is in mono.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 27, 2008 04:26 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
As JM says the Cassette was mono as was the sound already on the film. [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 27, 2008 05:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm trying to fugire the logic of including the soundtrack on cassette ...

The only thing I can think of, is that you would of course have better sound with the cassette on your "hi-fi" back then, eh?

Did this 200ft edition have anything different than the 400ft edition, I mean, footage not found on the 400ft?

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 27, 2008 05:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm baffled by the film having stripe and sound, as it was obvously marketed to people without a sound projector. Considering that the package was more expensive to produce than a normal sound edition, I wondered if anyone might know if the original price was higher?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 27, 2008 06:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, I dont think the 200ft version sold without the cassette.
It was sold as a sound/silent version and was basically a gimmick.
How on earth anyone with a silent machine could keep their machine in sync with the cassette is beyond me. Keeping 50ft in wild sync is bad enough let alone 200ft.

Kev

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 27, 2008 10:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still curious, what is the content of this 200ft release?

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2008 03:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Alien 200ft reel and it is in a standard 200ft box without the cassette.

The whole purpose of the sound on cassette releases was, as Kevo suggests, for those people with silent projectors to have a go at running the film in sync' with the tape. Very good fun it was too! For my brother and I running the film in sync' resulted in far more viewings of a title mainly to see how accurately sync' could be achieved.

The 200ft of Alien was simply the first 200ft of the 400ft edition. However, there were a couple of extra edits to get the running time down to 8 minutes. The reel ends on the chestburster scene. What a shame Ken Films never put out a second 400ft reel of this title which could have included the ending on the shuttle.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2008 03:06 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and then there was this eBay gem:

http://cgi.ebay.com/16mm-Feature-FILM-1979-ALIEN-Sigourney-Weaver-SCOPE_W0QQitemZ180236004015QQihZ008QQcategoryZ63821QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bit expensive for my taste.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 30, 2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, now, lets see,

having perused that link to the Alien scope 16MM ....

Mine has no "redness", it's a scope L.P.P. super 8 print.

Mine has excellent sharpness

Mine is in stereo ...

Mine cost 300.00 dollars!!

I think my Derann print was a better deal.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 30, 2008 07:11 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet the seller of that 16mm print can't believe his luck. It might look fine now but maybe not for much longer.

I suspect the Super 8 feature would go for a pretty good price if offered on eBay, especially as it was discontinued due to neg damage a long time ago.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 30, 2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It ain't going ANYWHERE!!

...and oooh, it's so good!

(and anybody who owns dat dere print would say the same)

Ditto on "Aliens"

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC