8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Dave Thomas Film Dealer? Reputation? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dave Thomas Film Dealer? Reputation?
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 30, 2008 10:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, You will have to take into account the lapse of 11 yrs before finding this problem. I have to say that I don't quite know what I would say to someone after 11yrs probably "on your bike matey". As I said before Dave has always been a helpful guy and I have had no probs so really its down to the two of you to come to some sort of amicable agreement.

Difficult one [Eek!] and good luck.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2008 12:32 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly! He did say that he had two more just like it to sell on e-bay. It's always best to give people some space to defend themselves. Dave has been a straight shooter from day one. It's my fault.

--Tom

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's my fault.

--Tom

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself Tom, and theres no point in assuming blame.

To quote a really smart person ... " Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone is deliberately dishonest. "

[Smile]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 30, 2008 06:31 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then some are mistakenly deliberate. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2008 08:01 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MILLION DOLLAR question now is: Will we hear from Dave one way or the other? He has been notified!!!

--TP

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2008 11:59 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went upstairs in my film room (vault) and I found an instruction sheet on how to use this len's kit. So it look's like I owe Dave a MAJOR apology. Also I can't get in contact with Steve Osborne at this point. The instruction sheet I found goes into major detail on how to set this up. Now the next thing is to get a copy of this instruction sheet from Dave Thomas to Steve Osborne. If the lens did NOT work then Dave would not have sent the instruction sheet. Now what do I do?

[ May 01, 2008, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Tom A. Pennock ]

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2008 05:25 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats great news Tom, it sounds like this might have a happy ending.

If I were you, I would try and get the lens back from Steve. This would allow you to test the lens yourself to determine if the lens actually works ( using the instructions ), or if it needs to be exchanged/returned.

If Dave can accept an exchange/return at this late date, its best for you to deal directly with him rather than via Steve.

There is the remote possibility the lens itself is faulty - I recently purchased an ISCO 35mm scope lens for my Simplex that would not focus under any circumstances and had to be returned.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 01, 2008 07:09 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused here.

I thought a major part of the problem was that you had been sent the wrong lens kit ie. a cheaper imitation Buhl kit instead of the advertised Kowa kit.

Most likely I haven't read the thread correctly!!!!

Either way I hope it all ends up well.

-Mike

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is not a Kowa kit but a Buhl kit but it's better than nothing. I can't contact Steve Obsborne at all and no reply from Dave. Steve's phone is an answering machine.

--TP

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 01, 2008 06:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Though Steve is very reliable, it can be hard to get ahold of him sometimes, but he always gets back to you, one way or the other.

I'm also glad to hear that this whole lense situation may have a good ending as well. Though it may seem that I have been hard on Dave, I personally don't think that he's a bad chap.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 11:24 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No response from Dave or Steve at this point.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 05, 2008 11:42 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Steve and Dave have web sites? I'm after some 1200ft spools.

Thanks, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 05, 2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

Dave Thomas' eBay store can be found here .

Steve Osborne doesn't have a web site. He often carries used reels and in fact the latest Reel Image mentions a fellow from Minnesota who is starting to manufacture new aluminum 800' and 1600'reels. The 1600' will fit all 1200' capacity projectors. No price as of yet.
Steve's 24 hr. voice mail: 937-296-9036
Or send him a fax at 937-296-1084

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2008 09:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that ad about the 1600 ft. reels Steve will have in the near future. I don't have a projector that can take them, but nifty, just the same. They must have a smaller center that allows for more film. It's the only thing that makes sense!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 11:55 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Osi I think the hub's are a bit smaller for more film capacity. I think Steve is going to send up a film to me soon. Last I heard! Sound's like LPP too! Has good color! He e-mailed me a week ago last monday!!!I sent Steve a copy of the instructions for the Buhl lens last Friday. I wonder if he will be able to navigate it?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC