8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kids Super 8mm toy projection things ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kids Super 8mm toy projection things ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 04, 2008 08:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking about those old Ken films reminded me that when I was a kid, there were quite a few of those little things that looked like a camera, but you would put a cartridge in the slot and watch an approximately 30 second excerpt of your cartoon of choice through a small lense, as if you were working with a movie camera.

Disney was first on the market, if I remember, having a large range of titles. The interesting thing with the Disney ones, was that Disney, agead of time, made titles that would take out every other frame of the cartoon, thereby taking an approximately 2 minute segment from a classic cartoon, and making it a hand cranked fun! They also released a special one which had an excerpt from "The Black Hole".

There were also ones marketed that fit the Disney viewer that were from Sesame street.

The next one on the market that had a big impact, was the Kenner toy company STAR WARS hand cranked super 8 "camera". These excerpts were not "edited" (in that frames were taken out to quicken the pace or fit more on it.) They were constructed much in the same way as the Disney ones.

There were five seperate cartridges, including one whole cartridge of the last battle! That was before I even knew there were the Ken Films 200ft releases. Note: these, as all these toys, were silent. The neat thing about those Star Wars ones, is that you could take them all out of the cartridges, and put them on one 50ft reel, ( it filled it to the brim ) and watched it at 18 frames per second and have a ball!!

It should be noted that these had thier own run of editing, and I'd love to hear how they selected what they would put on there.
They were all action, of course.

By the way, those cartridges were harder than hell to open, I know.

The next step up was a different kind of projector toy, in that these were battery operated, and also, these were not cut down in frames, so they ran at the proper speed of 24 framed per second. (I wish I remember the names of these last two toys!)
This one would have a perfectly round clear see thru cassette, that would snap right into place. These also ran longer but twice as much as the earlier Star Wars and Kenner Star Wars toys.

They also had an incredible variety of titles, including scenes from the 1976 King Kong, (His death scene!), The Bad News Bears in Breaking training, and a nifty one of Star Trek taken from the episode where some of the crew get made into little "cones", it also has the neat scene that was lifted from"Where no man has gone before" when they go through the void! COOL!

The last one on the market was also battery operated, but it had a double feature to it; you'd watch one, and switch it around and watch the other featured cartoon!! These were much smaller loops, AND were, like the Disney's were, edited for frames to give you a slightly longer cartoon, they had (one of which I remember) the "Inspector" cartoon and the Pink Panther cartoon when the Pink Panther tries to ride a most obnoxious horse!

These little neat machines all but disappeared after the early 80's except in bargain bins.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has fond memories of these.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 03:12 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
smallformat had a new projector in the last issue. Whilst this doesn't look like a toy it is apparently for educational use. A pretty simple hand cranked machine probably without a shutter but I for one would like one!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 05, 2008 04:35 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had once of these [Smile]

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dux_Kino

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 06:25 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There really are HEAPS of toy movie viewers and projectors-most use 8mm.They are fun gadgets.I've been accumulating them since about 1998(when I registered at eBay!)In the USA,Pocketflix and DoubleVue viewers were very popular and great snippets of film were available-including the one where the Star Trek crew turn into stones! [Wink] Check out Claude Mettavant's site,"The Mettavant Project".It started as a modest info swap place but is now positively encyclopedic,A real credit to Claude.Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 05, 2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing a toy projector back in the 60's or 70's that actually used a special 10mm or 12mm film with an optical sound track. Anybody have any information on what it might have been?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 07:39 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, that was Kenner's "Real Sound Movie Projector." I'm pretty sure it used 11mm film. I wanted one for Christmas as a kid, but they discontinued it before Santa could bring me one!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2008 08:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could anyone post some pictures of the "Real Sound Movie Projector" ?

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 08:55 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to a picture:

http://members.chello.nl/a.wichmann2/kennerrealsound.jpg

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2008 09:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome picture. Interesting that it was a sound projector, yet hand cranked. How long were the films that it used?

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 05, 2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info John. 11mm film with an optical track - sounds like a great format to me! The picture quality might have been quite impressive on a 'proper' projector. Too bad it was not persued by Kodak, Fujii, or Pathe.

Trev, the 'Mettavant Project' web sight is truly awesome. What an array of toy projectors, and I bet you have most of them! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 10:10 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, the films were on a continuous loop snap-in cassette. I believe the films were about the same in length as Kenner's other toy projectors, such as the Easy Show Projector and, my favorite, the Change-A-Channel TV set -- probably two minutes or so, tops.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 09, 2008 11:11 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked this up a couple of years ago:

-

-

"El proyector de cine sin fin" The endless film movie projector!

The Supercinexin Projector comes with a blinding 6V-0.5A bulb and a movie cartridge that has approx. 25-30 ft of scenes from Shrek 2. The cartridge also has 5 sound effects buttons to add to the home theater experience.
It's nice to see that these were still being made fairly recently.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 09, 2008 02:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing!

-looks like a hand-cranker too. Given the activity level of many modern day kids this may actually qualify it as exercise equipment!

Doug, where did you fid this? I think it would be cool for my Kindergartner to have a projector of his own...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 09, 2008 06:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, I'd love to find this projector!!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 09, 2008 07:45 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They show up on eBay every so often. This one in Belgium ended a few weeks ago.

Doug

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 09, 2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug ...

Did this have more than one cassette, (more extra cassettes you could buy), or just the one cassette with the machine and no others?

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 09, 2008 10:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

The Supercinexin came with one cartridge. There was no order form to purchase additional cartridges. I have come across other cartridges for sale (all Disney) on various global auction sites. Projector/Cassette,
Cassette only

The company is (was?) in Valencia, Spain.

Doug

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 09, 2008 10:27 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, the cartridges are approximately 6" x 2", and they look like this:

-

-

Doug

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2008 11:27 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
It does my 46-year-old heart good to see a toy projector still being produced!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2008 05:34 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't Derann contracted to produce the films for these? I remember Derek saying that they had won the contract to supply the films for a toy projector manufacturer in Spain. I'd never seen any other information until now. Well done Doug!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 10, 2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These cassettes are not that much different than the orginal cassettes used for the Disney toy Super 8 camera's that I started this topic on!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 10, 2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug
What a neat idea I bet kids and adults have a lot of fun with it.

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC