8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » COLOUR BALANCE FILTER

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: COLOUR BALANCE FILTER
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2008 11:52 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone has tried out Wittner's colour re-balance filter, stock item number 5002.

If it works per the photo, it could be a worthwhile investment for those pink and red films, to make them watchable again.

I have, as I'm sure others have too, tried out camera filters of various colours, but nothing works. There was a thread about this some time ago, but the Wittner product was not mentioned.

Any experiences?

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 08, 2008 07:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of it, David, would you happen to have a link to where you found it?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2008 01:57 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

Here's the link. You need to scroll down the page a bit, as it's towards the bottom.

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/07_vorfu/a_allgem.php

What do you think?

--------------------
Dave.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 09, 2008 04:02 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats horribly expensive at £113.00 GBP.
In my experience adding any filter will cut down light output and tint the highlights. Most of these filters are a combo of cyan/yellow and will make the whites/highlights go that colour which gives a dirty look to the film.
At the end of the day the cyan layer has faded and there is nothing you can really do to it. Unless this filter can apply varying amounts of cyan to the areas only where its need then I cant convince myself of the cost.
BTW its glass so dont drop your £113 GBP worth. [Eek!]

Bet those pictures have been Photoshoped!

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2008 04:38 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't decided to get one, Kev! The price scares me off a bit too. But if it DOES work - properly, it could be the best thing since sliced bread (not that I like sliced bread, of course - I prefer freshly baked Farmhouse - but I digress).

That's why I'm asking if anyone on the Forum has tried one of these, or knows of someone who has. Or, indeed, knows anything about the technology of these special filters.

If they DO work, maybe that's the reason for their high cost.

--------------------
Dave.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 09, 2008 08:32 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they are some sort of Dichroic filter which might explain the cost.

Surely it would be in Wittners interest to get someone to try one of their filters and then review it's usefulness in say FFTC mag.

Thinking about it I nominate Mr Wilton to test it [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 09, 2008 10:11 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By coincidence, a friend should receive that filter shortly and give it a test. I'll post the results.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 09, 2008 10:30 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Doug. Maybe a picture of it if possible.

Kev.

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2008 10:51 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Doug. That would be really helpful.

--------------------
Dave.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 09, 2008 10:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One problem I see at the outset. The filter is 3X3, so some sort of mount would have to be rigged up.

Doug

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2008 11:27 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug,

Any further info from your friend on this colour balance filter yet?

--------------------
Dave.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2008 06:32 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
A reminder, filers remove colors from the light, no add them so what this filter will do is make your print darker, it won't add back color, just subtract it.

A very slight fade print may look better with a filter, but you need a filter for each print. You can make these up yourself with Kodak CC (color correction) filters which are sold in each of the primary and secondard colors in various strengths. For example a CC20C would be a color correction filter .20 density cyan in color which would counter act red.

But at 200$ US for a filter, make sure you can return the item after you try it. I don't think you'll be very happy.

John

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 31, 2008 08:57 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I 100% agree with what John says. I have a bunch of Kodak CC filters that I use in various colours and strengths. Much cheaper than this very expensive filter and no danger of breakage.

Has anyone yet to see one?

K.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 31, 2008 12:22 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The filter hasn't arrived yet.

Doug

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2008 01:03 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Whittle is right. I used CC filters in a subtractive optical printer. It would be better if you could put the filter in the light path behind the film. It would still cut light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 31, 2008 10:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, I've come upon a conclusion concerning all of this colour balance filters ...

I think I'll just continue looking for a great print of things.

That's not as easy as it sounds, of course. I recently, (as many of you already know) bought and received three branf new optical features. They were unplayed, in mint condition, and yet, even with a completely unviewed, well stored print, my brand new print of "Something Short of Paradise" Has a slight fade to it. All the colours are pretty much there, but it does have a slight pinking, only really noticeable in Susan Sarradon's face, (as she is quite pale).

So, I'll have to be satified with that. maybe a slight filter on that will make it look ALMOST perfect.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC