8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Wet cleaning on Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wet cleaning on Projector
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 09, 2008 08:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
If I have a film which is marred by scratches I find that I get the best results by applying the lube/cleaner while the film is being projected.
My Question: Was there ever a device that could be clipped to say the front of the projector which could apply the lube automatically without the need to have to stop and start the machine to enable you to apply more liquid.

Just wondered.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2008 09:40 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin; I clean film (mostly 16 mm) like you do. The attachment question; Noris made one for their machines and Spondon did one also, though this wasn't attached to machines but was used between rewind arms. I'm after one if anyone should have such an item.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 09, 2008 10:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I think this works much better as the light helps evaporate the solvents off quickly leaving the lube behind.

I wonder what the Noris ones look like and if they could be modified to fit an Elmo. Does anyone have one?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 09, 2008 11:22 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we need is a smaller model Kelmar Cleaner that could mount on the top of the projector.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 09, 2008 11:48 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, thats exactly what we need.

Kev.

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2008 12:32 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

There was a device, I remember buying it from Perry's when they were in Wimbledon, it screwed onto the front arm of the projector, and you passed the film through 2 sets of cleaning pads into a resevoir of film cleaner. It worked OK, but as soon as you poured the cleaner into the resevoir it started to go off in the air, and you had to keep topping it up. I found it used more film cleaner than cleaning films by hand. The main problem was finding new pads, as you only got 2 sets with the machine, and these soon got really dirty, and there was no real way of cleaning them, and Perry's couldn't supply spare pads either, so in the end I abandoned it, although I believe I might still have it around somewhere. It worked OK, but with no replacement cleaning pads, and the heavy use of film cleaner, it wasn't really pratical in the end.

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2008 04:28 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much would you pay for a Kelmar Cleaner for Super 8 ?

Im guessing that we Super 8 collectors wont spend the money to warrant anyone producing them - your probably best off taking one made for 35mm and modifiying it to work with Super 8

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted May 09, 2008 05:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It takes 10 minutes to modify a 35mm or 70mm Kelmar cleaner to work with Super 8 and about $2 in bolts and nuts at the hardware store to do it. I mounted mine to my film transport system, but you can adapt the bracket easily to clean in between the supply reel and the projector.

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2008 12:15 PM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely buy a modified Kelmar that would fit the GS1200 if available. Wouldn't dare modding it myself though.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 13, 2008 04:18 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, Can you post us a picture of of yours on the GS?

Kev.

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 14, 2008 12:37 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can feel my mad-doctor fingers itching at this one...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted May 15, 2008 03:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a 70mm cleaner modified for 16mm and mounted on a motorized rewind table.

-

To clean in front of a GS1200, I would recommend a piece of sturdy pressed wood (or something fancier if you like) be made about 1 foot wide by 3 feet long. On the front of the board would be a projector bracket mounted above the "sight" of the lens, but in front of the supply reel, such that the picture can be thrown below it. The film would pull off of the feed reel at about 2:00, run through the film cleaner and enter the projector at slightly lower of an angle than it would be at the start of a full reel. You simply set the projector on the wood and there you have it. Does that make sense?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 15, 2008 05:15 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can just make that out. Thanks Brad.

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2008 03:58 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The device referred to earlier for fitting on the top spool arm is the Hahnel Cleaner Set 100. It is for 8mm only, and is not large enough to modify for 9.5 or 16. I can send an email with a PDF to anyone who wants it
Martin Jones

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 06, 2008 04:03 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dont think it would work with a full feature on a 1200ft spool as there would then be no room?

Yes Martin I would like to see a pdf of that unit. BTW welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find it a friendly place and a wealth of knowledge to any questions you may have. Look forward to see more of you on here.

Kev.

super8 at mrelmo dot co dot uk

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2008 04:10 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Martin, good to have you aboard. Enjoy the fun and camaraderie we all share here.

I too would appreciate the pdf of which you speak.

Many thanks.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2008 04:23 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAHNEL cleaner set 100

This may be the item.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2008 05:57 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PDF sent to askers. To answer all questions posed to date...
Clearance between centre of spool and cleaning assembly is a fraction over 6 inches (15.3 cms), so any reel up to 12 inches diameter can be used. Should add that the first part of the arm could be easily extended if that isn't enough.
Roy Neil's link is correct.
Martin Jones

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 06, 2008 07:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin/Roy that now makes sense. In fact that looks like the small cleaner that would fit onto film editors.

Obviously eBay's the place to watch for these items.

Kev.

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2008 07:40 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin & Roy,

Thanks for the PDF. However it looks a bit on the small side, though I know you can't really tell from the pictures and drawings. [Confused]

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC