8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Is anyone filming in Super/Standard 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is anyone filming in Super/Standard 8?
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2008 04:40 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We talk lots on this forum about cine-related things, but not much on actual filming. I have used Super 8 for years with a variety of cameras; these days it's the Canon 1014 with either Ektachrome 64T or the new 100D film from Sprectra. I also look forward to trying a new Bolex B8 Standard 8 camera I've bought, with film cheaply available from the USA and including processing! So, what camera/film are you using?

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 09, 2008 05:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon
I bought a couple of rolls of Ektachrome 64T to try out have not got round to using them just yet but hopefully soon, the camera I use is a Canon 512XLE. I have always liked Canon cameras either still or movie "nice lenses" The Canon 1014 had the feature of backwinding the film, ideal for superimposing shots and was regarded top of the range , have you had good results with the Ektachrome 64T film using the Canon?

Graham.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 09, 2008 05:24 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Bauer Royal 8E makro and it really is a fine piece of engineering. [Smile] It also has backwinding, superimpose/crossfade, long-term exposure, a built-in timer for time lapse shoots, and slow-motion (54fps)... tons of goodies. I filmed two E64T carts with it and both came out perfect, including exposure and color balance. Nice surprise!

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 09, 2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye!,

Just got back from Disneyworld. Shot 4 rolls of 64T on a Minolta XL-401 I tweaked to compensate for exposure.

My first piece of film was a commercial print, but the second was 50 feet of K-40 I shot myself two months later, so I guess I am a collector first, but not by very much.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2008 04:18 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, had some superb results with the 64T & Canon 1014. Some great colours, especially blue sky. I find different processing places cause different levels of graininess on the finished results. To date, Andec in Germany have been the best at processing.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2008 04:45 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been shooting Standard 8 for more years than I care to remember, using a Sankyo Auto 5X. I absolutely love it. Precision engineered with no plastic parts where it matters, and ultra reliable. Used all manner of colour and monochrome films and all have yielded superb results. Am currently using Fomapan and Cine-X for monochrome, and Cinechrome 25 and 40 for colour.

Super 8 is shot with either of my 2 Bauers: S409XL or S609XL. Again, excellent results with Ektachrome 160 sound and Kodachrome 40 sound. Since the demise of these two filmstocks, I have shot Kodak monochrome Plus-X and Tri-X, both with perfect results. I have a couple of 64T cartridges shortly awaiting use, so I'll see what they bring.

Lots of info on the Filmshooting Forum, Simon.

Cheers,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2008 05:31 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to shoot a couple of reels of Kodachrome at Triumph classic car events over the next month or so.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got two rolls of K40 back from the lab. 15 years out of date and the colour is first class. Even the wife is impressed. Since the birth of my two sons, this is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I have hours of video and dvd footage of them, but good old K40 blows the lot away.

Hoping to pick up a couple more cartridges at Ealing in a couple of weeks time.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2008 05:28 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, shooting 64t right now (well this week) on my Canon 814 XLS. We have a 6 week old baby and three other kids so out comes the Super 8.

I still have a few Kodachrome Sound films to shoot; they will get into the Canon when little baby Stella starts making more noises other than crying!

Oh, baby number four also necessitated upgrading my wifes Hyundai to a Chrysler Grand Voyager!!!

David

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 12, 2008 09:17 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is wrong with you, man!

Upgrading cars when you could be getting more super-8 for the money! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2008 06:42 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you're saying Jan, but I had no choice!

Even my Ford Falcon station wagon (5 meters long like the Grand Voyager) can't seat six. In Australia everyone has to wear seat belts and kids under 4 must be in child seats or booster seats.

So we needed a minivan/peoplemover with 7 seats. Don't worry, I'm still buying Super 8, 16mmm and 35mm. I am just about to add a Super Standard 35mm projector to my home cinema. All these years I have just ran 35mm and 70mm at work and ran the 8 and 16 at home.

David

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 12, 2012 07:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought it would be nice to update this oldie post.

Been filming 9-5 and more recently Super 8 which has been freezing cold doing but priceless fun.

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2012 08:38 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot on super 8mm and 16mm using, super 8 Canon 814, Canon 1014 and a Nalcom FTL1000. For 16mm I use a Canon Scoopic 16m and a Krasnogorsk K3. I love shooting and projecting film. It will be a shame to lose reversal film, just to expensive to get a positive dupe from a neg, itll just have to be digitisation of the neg and use Final Cut Pro etc.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been shooting a mix of Ekta 100 and Vision negative stock in S-8 using my Leicina Special and Braun Nizo Pro.

There are 20 rolls of Ekta 100 in my fridge (sad to see Ekta end) along with 20 rolls of Fomapan 100 B/W cartridges which I haven't tried yet....I guess we just keep rolling and hope for the best in the way of film stock [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 12, 2012 03:51 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see you again, Claus

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2012 04:43 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Joe, you too. I have been off-line while changing computers and such.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC