8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Who made Yelco?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who made Yelco?
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 15, 2008 03:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two Yelco Super 8 projectors, DS-607M and a DS-800M. They are both nice little machines.

Yelco is not mentioned in Jurgen Lossau's projector book.

Does anybody know if they were perhaps "badge engineered" by some other company?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 15, 2008 05:13 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yamawa Electric Co Ltd of Japan it says on the back of a machine I have here for repair. Very nice machine it is too.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2008 05:16 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, do a search here on the forum and you will see they have been discussed before. Yamawa (Yelco) also made Titan brand Sound and Silent Super 8 projectors amongst others.

David

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 15, 2008 05:59 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev and David

Thanks for your comments. I've trawled back through the Forum and found the GS1200 look-alike. Wow! What a formidible projector.

Yelco is not a name that springs to mind when Super 8 is discussed. I am pleased that they did, in fact, make their own.

As Kev says, they're very nice machines, with a reasonble price.

--------------------
Maurice

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 15, 2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the whole Movie Projectors book from front to back I'm surprised there's quite a few models and manufacturer names missing in there, and that's just telling from my own memory! For example, there's the Eumig memory stereo 90 which is actually a Silma, but that's mentioned nowhere in the book.

...OK, so this has nothing to do with Yelco, but I felt compelled to throw in an example. [Razz]
But: Yelco did make a very cool high-end machine, I don't remember its name exactly, only the number 3600. It had stereo sound, LED recording meters, computerized controls and a whole lotta goodies, much like the Chinon SS1200. Drool.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 15, 2008 11:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had another look at "The Book" and whilst Jurgen does not devote any history page for Yelco there are details in the reference part of the book.

The manufacturers of Yelco are given as Nihon Cine Ind., Co., Ltd., of Japan and seventeen projectors are listed. Plus, photographs of five.

--------------------
Maurice

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2008 08:09 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Germany, the Yamawa Company isn't well-known, but they manufactured many S8 Projectors for the "Photo Porst" company, later "Noris" models "norisound 510, 512" and the Fuji "SD Auto" Projector.

I'd like to have the "Yelco 3600 Computer Quartz" Jan mentioned in his post, but they are hard to find. Here are some impressive photos from an italian site:

Yelco3600

BTW: In many projectors, Yelco used exactly the same sound heads as Elmo built into their GS1200/ST1200 models.

Joerg

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 18, 2008 05:22 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
And in those pictures I once again can see the same motor that was used in the GS1200.
I have even seen the same motor made by Mitsubishi in some Goko editors.

K.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 18, 2008 05:36 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a 607 and ran and ran it and it never ever puta mark on any film, the only main failings tend to be the switches and take up corks going.
Very nice reliable machines if OK, not really quiet but OK, a great back up machine.
The porst 215 stereo is very nice but just 100 watt of course and 220v fixed.
Best Mark.
PS your like a one man museum Morris,

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 19, 2008 06:28 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 19, 2008 08:16 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 19, 2008 09:23 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Maurice I do know, my friends dad is called the other type.
Best mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 19, 2008 09:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

Thank you. I don't think Jan understood.

Yes indeed, I do have quite a collection, although I wouldn't refer to it as a museum.

--------------------
Maurice

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 20, 2008 05:11 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... I think I got it. Carry on folks. *blush*

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC