8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Look at that Chinon Go!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Look at that Chinon Go!!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 19, 2008 08:41 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked out that Chinon 9500 Magnetic/Optical sound Super 8 projector on ebay. I was tempted, for the hell of it, to ride up the price a little, as it was already way beyond what I can afford.

No need for that.

It's already up at 710.00 american dollars as of thirty minutes ago, and it still has 10 hours to go!

He is selling it as new, but I find it a little suspicious that though he has the styrofoam packing, he doesn't have the orginal box. Who's to say that this hasn't seen a good deal of wear? The "new" statement is probably what is driving up the price.

I used to have this brand of projector when I originally collected in the late 80's and it was a good projector, but I only paid (new) 689.00 dollars, (yeah, I remember, it was a lot of money for me back then), and this, when we really don't know if it's new, is already above that.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 19, 2008 09:18 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crackers, not least when you consider they are prone to damaging films and quite hard to get in to as well. Not all bad but $200 absolute tops I`d say.
I had the revue equivelant and wasn`t inpressed with pic or sound myself.
Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 19, 2008 09:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know Mark, now that I remember, it did eat a number of films. If I remember correctly, if the leader wasn't trimmed in just the right way at the very edges, (at the start), the projector had a tendecy to become quite hungry.

Still, it did have decent sound, (at least, as far as I remember)

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 19, 2008 09:36 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any model elmo st1200 thats OK is 10 x the projector.
Best Mark.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 19, 2008 11:18 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You just know that the person bidding on this is a newbie. If there is one machine I really don't like..its Chinons. My first Super 8 projector was a Chinon. It ate everything!
Then years later I had 2 of the Chinon 9500's. One was the Multi Voltage. One was new in the box. The new one split my Pocahontas trailer in two when I went to rewind it.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 20, 2008 05:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi should be ashamed of himself for considering the "riding up" of eBay bids if he has no intention of buying.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 20, 2008 09:06 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He hehehehehehe!

I see no reason for shame, and the seller sure isn't unhappy to sell thier item for more. To date, I have never bid up a friends item, which would at least have the appearance of impropriety.

I even have standards in doing it myself. Take the projector, for instance. Whenn I saw that it was already up to 710.00 (and it sold for that amount), I wasn't about to put another higher bid on it, because, what it that three or four dollars more is THEE high bid and it sells for that? Then I'm stuck paying for something that I truly can't afford. So when I push the bid up high, I keep in mind that if I should end up with it after all, it's something that I could cover, but would rather not.

It's my little way of dealing with the "class struggles", the little man against the big man. It's like saying ...

" Alright you arrogant prick! You have lots more money and you can outbid me at an instant? Alright, but your gonna pay for that item! Boo Hoo Hahahaha! "

(cue insane laughter)

and remember, no seller has ever complained!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC