8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question about Elmo ST-800 transformer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about Elmo ST-800 transformer
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 23, 2008 11:14 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I surgically removed a transformer from an ST-800 wreck with the goal of using it to power a 12V/100W EFP lamp from regular 110V AC voltage. Behold:

-

Assumptions: I can ignore the 8V, 10V and 20V terminals, as well as the one labeled 'M' as it appears to be for the motor. I further assume that the terminals 'PI' and '0V' are the primary AC input terminals (for the live and neutral lines, respectively), and that the lamp connects to the terminals labeled '0V' and 'L' (the L may look like an I in the photo).

Question: Am I correct?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 23, 2008 11:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds correct.....plug in & stand well back [Big Grin]

Hey....the Mad Scientist is back! [Eek!]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 23, 2008 12:20 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Kevin, I knew I could rely on you to answer this post [Wink]

BTW: the mad scientist was never gone, he just accidentally put himself into cryogenic stasis [Roll Eyes]

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2008 04:47 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be on the safe side why dont you connect a piece of fuse wire between the positive mains input cable, and the P1 terminal.

This is the method that I use when I am not certain if I have the right connections.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 23, 2008 05:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
That should be correct. It looks like the same transformer as used in the ST600 machines.

On the Elmo's the lamp is most often the 2 thick white wires and the mains comes in on blue and brown. Via an external fuse the brown changes to white so it looks like your observations Jan are correct. P1, P2 and P3 are always the primary. This is obviously a single voltage machine as it only has the P1 connection.

Go 4 it mate [Eek!]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC