8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » May B F C C; Report (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: May B F C C; Report
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 07, 2008 01:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm finally back home in Florida after my trip to the UK and the 55th BFCC. On the Saturday of the convention, I drove up from Henley on the right side of the road, and it was a beautiful sunny morning as I pulled into the Ealing Town Hall parking lot. My first puchase was a copy of the current issue of 'Smallformat' from the ticket stand, then I moved into the back room where I chatted about 9.5mm with Tony Reypert of Buckingham films. Good to see that he is still in business, and still producing the modified 9.5mm EIKI xenon projectors. I also puchased a copy of 'Flickers' magazine from Patrick Moules. What a great little magazine about vintage cine - I'm going to have to subscribe to that one. Next stop was upstairs to the Derann stand, where I said hello to Gary, and puchased several Pathe Pictorials and a new print of 'The Madagascar Penguins'. I was delighted to run into Craig Hamilton again, and we traded notes on our 9.5m Pathe Baby's . Then at lunch time,into the main hall where Keith and John were hosting members of the 8mm forum including Craig, Graham, Keith Ashfield, fellow Welshman Mal Brake, Colin Hunt, Mike O'Regan, and of course our moderator Mr. Elmo, Kev himself! Also delighted to see John Bird again - still running his 'Reels on Wheels' movie shows at sheltered homes. The big show of the afternoon was 'The Music of 20th Century Fox' compiled by Keith and John, with Ken Locke's superb narration. Despite some technical bugs during this show (damned digital equipment- super 8 is so much more reliable! [Big Grin] ) it was a most enjoyable hour of film nostalgia and a terrific job by Keith and all concerned. Outside the Town Hall I ran into Dave Locke and Rod Willerton who produced that wonderful film about Magic Lanterns seen on the new Armchair Odeons. The final show I saw was Keith's 35mm presentation of Disney's 'Night on Bald Mountain' from Fantasia. With superb picture quality and stunning sound (was that stereo?) I found this film sequence absolutely awesome, and very moving indeed. I can't remember ever seeing this before - what a masterpiece, and it will never be equalled by any CG animation.
All in all, a great and memorable day, the best part being able to say hello once more to everybody on the forum.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2008 01:47 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that your home safe and sound Paul. Enjoyed our chat at lunchtime over a sandwich. The Laurel & Hardy film we spoke about, but couldn't remember the title of, was "BLOTTO".Hope to meet up again in the future. Regards, Keith.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 07, 2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
Glad to read that you had a great time in the UK your comments {damned digital equipment Super8 is so much more reliable} made me [Smile] a few years ago I was selling a GS1200 a local collector was interested in buying it, so I said come and pick it up and try it out for a couple of weeks and if he still wanted to buy it come back with the money, well after those few week thats what he did I got the money [Smile] he got the GS1200, a year on we had a convention and this person was going to put on a Super8 show.

Everyone was seated in anticipation the lights dimmed he pressed go on the GS and.....nothing [Eek!] the projector would not play. I offered my assistance we tried everything the GS would not budge, well he turned to me and said this is the projector you sold me, also another fellow collector came to our assistance looked at the GS and said to me, this is the projector I sold you. I replied yes it was and I sold it to him [Roll Eyes] well as all this was going on the audience was getting restless so the Super8 show was abandoned. This chap then decided to run the 16mm part of the show the lights dimmed "again" the Eiki was switched on .....nothing the lamp blew and to add insult to this he did not have a spare lamp [Eek!] what a night that was [Big Grin] later the GS was fixed but as we all know projectors dont like to sit around and not get used, and although he had used it for the two weeks before he had bought it, it had sat around far to long before this convention we have another one coming up in November anyone want to come. [Wink]

A quick mention about about "Night On Bald Mountain" new prints of this extract were available new from Derann not so long ago I think this one and "The Nutcracker Suite" are imports from Germany and are excellent quality they only have mono tracks but are very good my pick is "The Nutcracker Suite" a more pleasent extract other extracts from Fantasia are also available as well.

Graham.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
It was a pleasure meeting you again,hopefully to be repeated in the not too distant future.
If I had known you were in the UK for a couple of weeks you could have made a little visit to Neath. Maybe next time...
best wishes,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 07, 2008 06:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul, It was a pleasure meeting up with you at long last. Glad you enjoyed the visit to the BFCC and the UK in general.

Graham, The Fantasia extracts are all Derann releases not the German releases. I think they are still available.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2008 04:01 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt you're now enjoying the cool Florida weather after suffering the scorching British weather Paul!!! At least we're not likely to have a water shortage this year!

Yes, the Fantasia extract was in stereo - 'Fantasound' to give it its correct description. That was a big deal back when it was first released.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Stanley
Junior

- posted June 09, 2008 06:46 AM      Profile for Paul Stanley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK day for me and purchased a Bond feature plus 3 other feature films. Not as many people or dealers as I had been told to expect but worth sneaking out of work for.

--------------------
Lets get Lee back on the Forum action group!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC