8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My optical prints arrived!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My optical prints arrived!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 24, 2008 09:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, I'm just getting back to you on that auction I won for those three optical features ...

... and I'm more than pleased!

It appear that none of these were played. If they were, perhaps once, but it couldn't be any more than that. Pristine!

Best of all, the color is pristine! My print of many years of "Force Ten From Navarone" still has my personal color grade of 9 out of 10. It's still that good, but this print is a straight 10! Very Good. The same can be said for "Matlida", a family film that just came along with the auction, but hey, I'll get around to watching it one of these days. I've heard good AND bad about it.

"Something Short of Paradise", a romantic comedy is not absolutely perfect, but this was printed on that very low grade eastman film stock and it only has the slightest fade possible.
I have never seen a truly good print of this, and so this is a delight as well.

... but the greatest fun is that these prints came on thier original cores, and there's the fun for me. I remember getting such prints as "The Golden Seal" and such on cores with pristine color, but that was during the late 1980's. To mess with these old cored features, that had never recieved a single splice (until now, so that I could put them on reels) really takes me back to my early 20's and my first experiences with collecting Super 8!

At any rate, I left great feedback for Molehillcreamy (the ebay seller) and just wanted to share the fun!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 25, 2008 05:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely they must have some lab splices?

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 25, 2008 01:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Yes, they have the lab splices from the seperate reels being made into the one print to run through those old optical projectors for the airlines, but those were the ONLY splices.

It's kind of neat having a few of those little yellow optical super 8 "cores", just as momento's too!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC