8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Powell Films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Powell Films
Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 12:50 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Powell Films isn't a name that comes up that often. I do have one film in my collection fromt hem - the 4x400 version of Bless This House.

Did they release many features? What sort of titles did they have?

Clive

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 02:06 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Powell Films were very prolific in the 70's and released the following super 8mm features...

5 X 4OOFT-10 REELS

WINCHESTER 73-JAMES STEWART
TOUCH OF EVIL-ORSON WELLS
MUNSTER GO HOME-FRED GWYNNE
THE FABULOUS DORSEY BROTHERS
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA-HERBERT LOM-HAMMER
SANDS OF IWO JIMA-JOHN WAYNE
THE SHOOTING-JACK NICHOLSON
EQUINOX-JACK H HARRIS
THE MIGHTY GORGA-BILL McKENNA
JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF TIME-SCOTT BRADY
FROM NASHVILLE WITH MUSIC-COUNTRY MUSIC
TOGETHERNESS-PETER LAWFORD
NINE AGES OF NAKEDNESS-HARRISON MARKS
WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS-FRITZ LANG
CANADIAN PACIFIC-RANDOLPH SCOTT
MACBETH-ORSON WELLS
CORRIDORS OF BLOOD-BORIS KARLOFF
JACK AND THE BEANSTALK-ABBOTT & COSTELLO
BACK FROM ETERNITY-ROD STEIGER
REIGN OF TERROR-ROBERT CUMMINGS
DAYS OF THRILLS AND LAUGHTER
FIRST MAN INTO SPACE-MARSHALL THOMPSON
SECOND CHORUS-FRED ASTAIRE
HOBSONS CHOICE-CHARLES LAUGHTON
THE QUIET MAN-JOHN WAYNE
RIO GRANDE-JOHN WAYNE
A GATHERING OF EAGLES-ROCK HUDSON
CARRY ON DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD-SID JAMES
A NIGHT TO REMEMBER-KENNETH MOORE
HAPPIEST DAYS OF YOUR LIFE-ALISTAIR SIM
AN ELEPHANT CALLED SLOWLY
LADY WITH THE LAMP-ANNA NEAGLE
THE SOUND BARRIER-RALPH RICHARDSON
MALTA STORY-JACK HAWKINS
THE TRYGON FACTOR-STEWART GRANGER
FALLEN IDOL-RALPH RICHARDSON
UP IN THE WORLD-NORMAN WISDOM

4 X 400FT-8 REELS

VAMPYRES
HANDS OF THE RIPPER-HAMMER
BLOOD FROM THE MUMMYS TOMB-HAMMER
NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT-CHRISTOPHER LEE
THE RAILWAY CHILDREN-JENNY AGUTTER
THE GREAT ST TRINIANS TRAIN ROBBERY-FRANKIE HOWARD

Cheers Mark W

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 02:31 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still looking for a print of Powell's BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB if anyone has one for sale. Good color is a must. Doesn't need the original boxes.

Also, a HANDS OF THE RIPPER digest is on my want list as well.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 26, 2008 09:58 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you guys tell me what is the quality of Powell's prints? and are they fade (colour wise) by this time?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 11:17 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they vary considerably... my VAMPYRES is gorgeous while I have seen very red/dark prints of BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB. My NIGHT TO REMEMBER was nice - just a little bright but not bad at all.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 04:03 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the Powell prints were of pretty good quality for there time,however most colour prints would have faded now due to there vintage,I have a 2 reeler of HANDS OF THE RIPPER which is still good though,colours are just slightly warm which is not bad going for its age.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 27, 2008 06:40 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have their Edgar Kennedy short I'll Build It Myself, stunning, looks like a sharp reduction from a 16 original

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, over the years i've owned two 4X400' POWELL copies of EQUINOX (I don't think there was a five reel full feature print, or was there????). The 4X400' print is a sixty-five minute or so edited version of the feature, both of the ones I had kept their colors well, and had pretty sharp focus, with only a little fade. I also have the POWELL 5X400' FIRST MAN INTO SPACE, which is a pretty good quality, although slightly edited, B&W feature.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 27, 2008 05:20 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the above list, I have the 4 x 400' of 'Equinox' but not in the original box. Is any anyone certain that this was Powell? I've seen the 'Mighty Gorga' feature (one of the worst films I've ever sat through) and I'm sure it was 4 x 400'. I thought it was an old Derann release - anyone certain it's Powell? Finally, I've seen 'Macbeth' in the original boxes and I was sure it was a Mountain release, so can anyone confirm either way?

What a shame the Hammer 'Phantom of the Opera' was only release in b/w, as it would have made a great release in colour.

Brian: your mention of wanting 'Hands of the Ripper' makes me think that you may not know that Derann released it full length around the early 1990s. I have a print but I think they had trouble getting good results (I kept having to change reels), which was probably why it was withdrawn quite quickly and doesn't seem to turn up on second hand lists.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 27, 2008 06:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My gawd!!

I would love to get my hands on "Touch of Evil", that has always been a big hit in my book!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 10:10 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian - Yes, Equinox is a Powell release. I have one will all the original boxes that say Powell along the side (my print is courtesy of Doug M.) I love it and the color is still quite nice for a film that never looked great to begin with... and, yes, I have the full length print of Hands of the Ripper from Derann. I am just looking for the Powell digest because I am an obsessed completist as far as Hammer goes on Super 8. What do you mean you always have to change reels... Isn't it on the trhee 600' reels? I am quite happy with my print except that the sound is a little low for my taste. I plan on re-recording it when I have the time...

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 07:02 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

Yes I am cetain that Powell released these titles,I got my info from a very old advert for William Powell Films Ltd that appeared in Movie Maker in the mid seventies,it looks like Mountain took over the negs/distribution of MACBETH etc when Powell's rights expired.

Derann may have re-released some of these titles too.

The Universal titles Winchester 73,Touch of Evil etc,were only leased to Powell for 2 years or so after that the remaining unsold prints had to be returned to Universal and destroyed.

So they are mega rare these days!!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 28, 2008 08:24 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arrrg!

Well, at least there's still a chance that I'll find it!
(Touch of Evil, that is)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 01, 2008 03:39 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian - Regarding the full length 'Hands of the Ripper' - I had two prints that I had to return due to defects and I ended up settling for two OK reels from one and one from another. Not quite a perfect match but it seemed like the best I could hope for! I think the sound was always OK, though.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2008 03:41 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian - What were the issues with the HANDS OF THE RIPPER prints? The picture on mine is really quite beautiful with deep rich color and very good sharpness. I guess I was lucky with only having low sound.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2008 06:00 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, if you are interested in the histories of the Super 8 package film companies then you simply must subscribe to Small Format. The features to date have been excellent along with the box art shots and reviews.

I subscribe to several movie/cinema magazines and this one is the best.

David

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2008 09:23 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,Powell brought out a 5x400ft version of The Last Command,which Derann later brought out as a 4x400ft version.I am looking for the Powell version,thanks,Peter.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2008 04:26 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EQUINOX-4X400FT-COLOUR-FEATURE-STD-8-Sound_W0QQitemZ380035365899QQihZ025QQcategoryZ35064QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this Classic Home Cinema?

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2008 06:57 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,don't think its Phil Sheard at Classic Home Cinema,the listing gives a London address.Classic is based up country in Cleethorpes,regards,Peter.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2008 09:56 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used their hire library in the early 70's. They were reliable and if you made a block booking they would supply a supporting short free of charge.
Tony Powell was a 'character', Mr. Wilton may have a story or two about him I believe.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC