8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Fading Restoration ... part 3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Fading Restoration ... part 3
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 26, 2008 08:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John Whittle,

I was thinking about that film fading process we had been discussing before. I was remembering that it was the fumes coming from the warmed solution that permeates the film, (in theory, as we have not actually seen the process ... in process).

Being that the liquid solution's fumes are what permeates the film, would, (if the film is passed through quickly enough)
the film passing through the solution possibly work?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 12:38 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the process needs the vapor treatment rather than a liquid treatment. If a solution, then you'd have to wash and dry the film again. Remember that the fumes are just the first part of the process. Then the film is rewound and exposed to a special light (and we don't know what kind of lamp it is--infrared, ultraviolet or sodium or ??) to stop the process.

The theory is that the physical elements of the film don't change, just the chemical characterists of the cyan dye molecule which turns clear.

This part has been documented in both Ferriania and Kodak research papers (I don't know if they're available on the web or not) but no "fix" was referenced in them. The problem is that there is really no commercial need for this. Commercial releases are made up in the hundreds or thousands of prints and after a short period of a few months or a year or so, most of the prints are destroyed. If it was still the norm in television distribution to distribute on film, then it would be another story, but that ended years ago. Remember Ray Courts and his film shows? He wound up with tons of old syndication 16mm prints and spent years selling them off.

John

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 27, 2008 09:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right John, I forgot about the "light" part of the process.

When those trade papers (kodak) say that there was no need for this (not exact wording) that's usually a business way of saying, "This is not economically viable" and your right, since TV stations no longer use film even at the local station levels, they just wrote off the process ...

... even though it sounds like the process may very well have worked!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC