8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Braun Visacustic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Braun Visacustic
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 28, 2008 04:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the Super 8 sound projectors made by Braun are called "Visacustic."

Does anyone know what this word means, or was it entirely made up by their marketing team?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 28, 2008 07:00 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having studied ancient Latin and Greek in school, my litterary background would push me to think that it's indeed a marketing name made up of etymological references.
Latin "visio" for seeing, and greek "akoustikos" for hearing.
Good name for a sound projector... [Big Grin]

Unless Master Lossau has another explanation?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 28, 2008 09:45 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JM is 100% right [Cool]

(I hear there was another, less popular theory: namely that the word was put together from "Visa" as in Visa credit cards and "custic," though that theory never managed to explain the meaning of "custic.") [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 28, 2008 11:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc

Thank you for your helpful answer. (And Jan.)

I took delivery of my new Braun Visacustic 1000 Stereo today. It's just been taken out of its box and I will need to thoroughly read the instruction book first.

If you have Jurgen's BIG BOOK you can see it on pages 64 and 65.

I will in due course give a report on this latest item in my collection. I just love projectors, it's the smell, the whirring of the mech, and they are such a joy to behold.

I also have two video projectors (Sanyo & Hitachi), but neither give me the "buzz" that "proper" projectors do.

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 01:56 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice:
Despite the vacuous comments,the Braun Visacustic was a highly regarded peice of kit.Its sound reproduction was outstanding and once serviced,will give any Elmo a run for its money.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 05:32 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, these projectors are outstanding. When fitted with the Schneider 1.1 lens, the picture is superb! Mine didn't come in original box; wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the box Maurice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC