8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 1959 Bolex B-8SL 8mm Camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1959 Bolex B-8SL 8mm Camera
Vincent Aleister Portier
Junior

- posted May 30, 2008 03:51 AM      Profile for Vincent Aleister Portier   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Aleister Portier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, I am new at understanding 8mm cameras and filmmaking. I recently purchased and received an 8mm Bolex B-8SL film camera---the camera itself is in wonderful working condition, but I had a few questions about understanding how to measure the distance of an object to set your diaphragm.

No manual was included with this purchase, nor have I inserted any film yet. A cartridge of Kodachrome II 25 ft. Daylight film was included. It reads "Process before May '73---so obviously it is not good anymore, but perhaps I could use it as a test cartridge?

I have found an online manual to the similar Bolex B8 and I have been reading about the lenses and the settings that you will need to adjust the diaphragm to, zoom lens depending on the distance of the object, etcetera. But I do not have the information regarding this, so I am oblivious as to where to start.

Furthermore, I still have a few questions:

1.) Would it be knowledgeable to purchase a photoelectric exposure meter?
2.) What do the pins that I see in the viewfinder help identify?
3.) What is the knob beside the viewfinder that I can pull out and turn? It moves the red pin inside of the viewfinder.
----It reads 4, 7, 10 (with several black arrows and one red)?

4.) What does the chart at the bottom of my camera help identify?
----It reads ASA: 40, 32, 25, 20, etcetera, <=f: 12.5 - 36: 10, 9, 8, 7, etcetera, and °DIN: 17, 16, 15, 14, etcetera.

and lastly

5.) I sometimes see filmmakers holding what looks like a small lense in their hand, that looks to measure the distance of an item---helping them to further adjust the lenses. What is this item called, and would I need one?

Thank you for any help you may provide.

--------------------
Vincent Aleister Portier

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 30, 2008 04:23 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vincent

Use SEARCH to find "Bolex B8 Std 8 Lightmeter Questions." This was dated May 11 2008. I replied to a question on working the lightmeter.

It would be useful to buy a separate Light Meter if you can find one at a reasonable price. It would be much more accurate that a camera's built-in meter.

You obviously still have the film's box. It would have originally come with a leaflet giving approximate exposure recommendations.

The other little item you mention is a "rangefinder". This is looked through as a viewfinder and two separate images are moved by means of a knob to coincide. The knob then reads the distance to the object.

Hope this has been of help.

--------------------
Maurice

Vincent Aleister Portier
Junior

- posted May 30, 2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Vincent Aleister Portier   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Aleister Portier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I do not have the original box anymore. I bought it from eBay, but the original box was not included. Could you possibly post the diagram?

Also yes, a rangefinder was the item I was describing. Would this be necessary? I would love to start filming as soon as possible, but I do not want to pay $30.00 to have my film processed, if it is going to be out of focus, etcetera.

I would appreciate as much information as possible.
Thank you

--------------------
Vincent Aleister Portier

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 31, 2008 09:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You use the word "cartridge". The standard 8 (regular) film should be in a small tin and on a metal spool. The film has a length of 25 feet, it is double run in the camera and retuned after processing and splitting on a 50 feet projection spool.

Sorry. I don't have any old Kodak literature. However, daylight Kodachrome II had a speed rating of 25 ASA.

If you select f11 on your lens for filming outdoors under bright conditions it should be about right. However as the film is 35-years old its speed may been reduced with age. And also if it has been badly stored in a hot environment it may now be ruined. You can only know when it has been processed.

In the circumstances I would suggest you open up one stop to f8 and cross your fingers until the processed film is returned.

The camera's filming speed must be set to 16 fps (frames per second.)

Do not worry about a rangefinder. Use the standard lens (12.5mm or 13mm) and set the focus to about 10 feet. The depth of focus should cover any distance either side and up to infinity, unless you get in very close to your subject.

Good luck.

--------------------
Maurice

Vincent Aleister Portier
Junior

- posted May 31, 2008 11:38 AM      Profile for Vincent Aleister Portier   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Aleister Portier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me, a "spool" rather. As I said, I am just starting out with this. As far as I know, the camera only records in one speed, as there are no switches to change this speed.

I appreciate you responding with the helpful information, and I would definitely take it into consideration. But my question as to how to actually understand when set "11" or "8", etcetera has still been unanswered.

As you may know, the B8SL has a two lens rotating turret. It has one with just the exposure settings and then another (which obviously zooms) with feet up to 200~infinity and exposure settings. My question is, how do I know when to set which exposure setting to what? You said if I go outside, then "11" should do. Would a light meter tell me this---I know that you had suggested that?

Also about the 12.5mm or 13mm lens, I would need some sort of apparatus other than the lens to view through it, but my camera does not allow me to see through my lens---just my viewfinder. So just attaching a large lens wouldn't be extremely helpful, unless I could see out of the other side (in which in this case, I couldn't).

--------------------
Vincent Aleister Portier

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 31, 2008 12:20 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestions regarding exposure are just to get you started with the roll of film which you have.

Your camera should have filming speeds from 12 to 64 frames per second. These are selected on the rotating dial above and just to the left of the winding key. 16fps may be marked in red.

The camera was originally supplied with two lenses. A 13mm f1.8 Yvar which has a fixed focus. The other lens should be a 36mm f2.8 focussing tele lens. Please note that neither are zoom lenses. You may be confusing the focus setting for a zoom control.

Therefore, if you use the 13mm lens you do not have to focus.

The aperture is set on the first ring back from the front of the lens. It is probably marked from 1.8 to 16 (1.8, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16). 8 is probably coloured red.

It is not a reflex camera, i.e., you do not view through the taking lens. The viewfinder has to be set for the lens in use. This is done by rotating the dial on the top of the side where the winder is. This is probably marked 12.5, 25 and 36. It is infinitely variable between the extremes. The viewfinder eyepiece is at the rear above the footage counter.

You could of course buy a light meter but I would suggest you first find out if the camera is still in working order.

I am not suggesting that you fit any other lens. The two supplied lenses should be adequate for your needs.

Before you expose any film I suggest you contact a photo-lab who you intend to use and ask their advice on exposing your old film.

I hope that I have now answered your questions.

--------------------
Maurice

Vincent Aleister Portier
Junior

- posted May 31, 2008 01:17 PM      Profile for Vincent Aleister Portier   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Aleister Portier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, you were very much help indeed. Although my model, the B8SL, does not include a dial to change your filming speed. The similar B8 has this option, but not the B8SL. I do appreciate all of the information that you have taken the time to give me. Thank you again.

--------------------
Vincent Aleister Portier

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC