8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Magic Christian

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magic Christian
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2008 02:46 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this funky 60's Peter Sellars/Ringo Starr feature in my collection for 30 years and have never seen another print for sale. Just watched a reel and the color has faded a bit unfortunetly, but does anyone know which distributor released it? Mine came in three 600' plastic cases with no original boxes/artwork so I've always wondered.

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2008 04:38 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Canterbury Films released it. But it was pulled because he got a 'cease and decist' letter from the copyright owner, but he said it was definitely in public domain. Unless someone else released it that I wasn't aware of.

And thanks again Brian.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2008 04:49 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you mmissppelled Peter Seller's name [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2008 05:15 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right! I guess I've always spelt it wrong... oops.

Canterbury Films is a distributor I know nothing about... Were they in the UK or here in the States and did they release many features? Thanks for any info...

[ May 31, 2008, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Brian Hendel ]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2008 02:56 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian-

Canterbury Films was a great, small-operation that released super 8 and 16mm films in the later 70's-early 80's. They were located somewhere near the east coast (Connecticut maybe?).

The were well known distributors of the original "Star Trek" series. They released at least 10 full episodes, plus some blooper reels. They also released some great trailers and trailer reels, as well as some classic cartoons. I believe they also released some public domain features.

One thing that stood out about Canterbury was that the film quality of their releases was almost always excellent, especially for a small company of this type.

James.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2008 04:04 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James - Thanks for the info. I remember having Star Trek bloopers and some trailers back in the 70's that must have been from Canterburry. I didn't know they released features as well.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2008 05:59 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they were a very good film company.

One Canterbury trailer reel that I still have was the "Color Horror" reel, which consists of trailers for-

"Rabid"
"They Came From Within" (a.k.a.- "Shivers")
"Don't Look In The Basement/Last House On The Left"
and, my favorite-
"Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things"

These are excellent trailers, and they truely captured the flavor of 70's grindhouse-type horror movies. The color on mine is still good too. [Cool]

James.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC