8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Stock Shops Abroad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Stock Shops Abroad?
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2008 03:23 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if any of our film users abroad could tell us which shops they use to buy film...say 64T. And are there any shops maybe still selling projectors etc?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 01, 2008 04:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought 64T direct from Kodak in New York and paid $14 a roll for it.

In the US, Kodak has always had the lowest price. For me it's a really good deal convenience wise since I live 3 counties away from Manhattan I get my film the next afternoon even if I have them shipped at the cheapest rate

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2008 05:55 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, same straight from Kodak here in Melbourne. I buy in lots of 20 and delivery is free. Some stores stock 64T here but not too many.

David

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 01, 2008 09:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

When I was in Melbourne one pharmacy by the name "Elisabeth Pharmacy" (Cnr. Elizabeth & Lt. Collins St, Melbourne 3000, Ph: +61-3-9670 3815) was selling super 8mm film stocks. I do remember that this was the best price I even seen in the world. It was roughly US$ 11.3 for a K40 (processing included).

I don't know if they are still selling E64.

Dave, do you know what is foing on in that pharmacy today?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2008 07:05 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, that is where I once bought all of my Super 8 stock. Yes they sold it at the Kodak bulk price! I am not sure why, but it certainly made me visit every few months for years.

For some reason when I last checked, they did not stock 64t, I will check again in a few weeks and see.

I was told that they would often sell 40 rolls of Kodachrome a day and this was in 2002! They had then entire Kodak Super 8 range too. This is no large pharmacy, in fact it is very small.

Elizabeth St in Melbourne is still the street where all the large camera stores exist. Ted's, Camera House, Michaels etc. Michaels, all three floors of it, once had piles of Super 8 gear; they still have some but it is in their free museum.

I once sold an ST 1200 to them as it did not always thread correctly (stutter at the rear sproket and enlarge the sound loop) I told them of this problem and they still paid me more for it than I had paid for it privately. I bought it for $150 and sold it for $175. I saw they had serviced it a few weeks later and had it back for sale at $275 including a warranty. This was back in the 1980's.

They will still sometimes have Super 8 gear in their used windows, but not as much as years past.

David

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2008 09:03 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
back in the days most Kodak, chemists and other photographic shops sold film stock, locally there is only one shop that still carrys the Kodak super 8 range, as for the super 8 digest movies etc there could be brought from most department stores and camera shops.
Bell and Howell had an agent here (usually a photographic shop or a electrical appliance store) for their 16mm gear as well as other agents/shops for Eiki, Elmo, Victor, Ampro and BTH.
All gone now or they still exist but no longer deal in movie gear.
I remember when I was very young going into the local FARMERS TRADING CO department store with mum and seeing in the entertaiment section several super 8 digest films amongst the new VHS tapes, but no projectors though.

Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 03, 2008 09:50 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David and Patrick, that's right that almost all chemists I found in the Pacific region, sell film stocks (not necessaraly super 8mm). I don't know in other region.

In fact, my first experience to buy at Elizabeth Pharmacy was quite funny. I was running out the stock in my first week in Australia. Knowing that chemists sell film stock I saw Elizabeth Pharmay on the corner. It was quite a small shop.

I entered the shop with a full of doubt they would know what I was going to ask. But I still gave a try.

When I asked "...super 8mm", surprisingly a lady vendor said "yes we have". I was thinking she would take a different type of film like my (our... [Wink] ) usual experience.

But...she brought the right item and with that incredible price! (bear in mind, that was processing included).

From then, I always bought my silent and sound cartridges from this pharmacy. Several months ago, I subscribed the local 8mm magazine (Rodney Bourke's) and found that this place was a most recommendable one. I was lucky that I found it in my first week in Australia.

David, if they don't stock 64t, do they have the B/W stocks (Tri-x)? becuase they used to sell.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC