8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Any New features coming out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any New features coming out?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 02, 2008 05:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they're any new features coming out on Super 8, (that can be publicly talked about)?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 02, 2008 06:05 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
No I dont think so. Getting the rights to release is now a big issue. Looks like we are stuck with the titles that are already in circulation.

Osi, I just wanted to say that I picked up a copy of "Fish Called Wanda" on super 8 optical sound. What a cracker of a print it is too. It looks just like a good 16mm print and the sound on my GS is real magic. Didn't know the GS optical sound could be so good.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted June 02, 2008 06:10 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I suppose there masy still be the odd one from the european arm maybe but not many I would say.

I think VP and B,R are taking a bit of a hold there as well so likely to make things less vibable.

Anyway theres still plenty of great stuff about to enjoy for now as Kev says.

Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 02, 2008 10:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right Kevin, RUUUUB IT IN!

Watching dat ole optical film with Jan's ole ELMO GS 1200!

I'd love to find that print, (even if it is no doubt slightly edited for airline use), it was quite common back in the late 80's. I believe that Derann had quite a few.

That one was among some of the last releases on optical sound as well, to make it out to collectors.

There were a few more, like, "The Living Daylights"
(Bond, james Bond, but of course), and I've even heard that the releases went as far as "The Hunt For Red October". Whoever those lucky souls are that own that one, are holding onto it like gold!

But your right. "Sunstrand" (in England) as well as the other optical sound Super 8mm film labs were coming out with prints that rivaled anything on Super 8 then, and perhaps even now, (including Derann!), as you can attest to, being as sharp as a 16MM.

My print of "Broadway danny Rose" (Woody Allen) is truly a marvel to look at. I told the story in a recent "Reel Image" magazine, but I had a friend about four years ago who was trying to convince me to move into 16MM.

I decided to convince him that I had moved up, and to prove it, I screened Broadway danny for him.

... and upon seeing it, he stated, "It's about damned time!", only for me to reveal that it was super 8 after all. He had to admit that he was rather impressed.

The surprising thing, is that this level of sharpness, (or pretty damned close), was already being manufactured very early on. I have a print of "Romancing of a Horsethief", from 1971, and it is VERY sharp, (as well as holding it's color quite well!).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC